Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "custom" ADFs - 85 tracks - for Byte-n-back backup software  (Read 2684 times)

Description:

Offline chiarkTopic starter

• Show only replies by chiark
    • http://www.chiark.com
"custom" ADFs - 85 tracks - for Byte-n-back backup software
« on: February 02, 2005, 04:44:07 PM »
This is a good 'un that'll get people scratching their heads :-)

I have my 4000 running again, and have transferred a load of stuff over to my PC as backup.  Unfortunately, some of the stuff that I want is really quite old, and is on floppy disks.  

It's not on straight floppy disks - that'd be too interesting.  It's in a backup of a 10MB hard drive (!), made with Byte'n'Back software.

This software claims to fit 935KB on disks, which works out nicely at 11 sectors per track, double sided, for 85 (!) tracks.

Funnily enough, ADF or DMS doesn't quite do the job here :(

The Byte'n'back software runs on WinUAE (even with an 040 processor being emulated), but fails on my 4000 with error 80000004...  So I don't seem to be able to run it on my 4000.  It opens a lo res screen so I'm wondering if Newmode might be killing it.  Either way, I don't have a 15KHz monitor to hand to see the picture  :pissed: , assuming I can get it running.

Any wonderful suggestions?  "Buy a 600 with a hard drive" might yet be the way forward ;-)

I am aware that I'm asking more questions than I'm answering at the moment, and will endeavour to redress the balance in the future!
Celebrating 21... no, make that 27... years of Amiga use

Offline TjLaZer

Re: "custom" ADFs - 85 tracks - for Byte-n-back backup software
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 07:04:50 PM »
Run the program on the 4000 with no startup.  Go to the boot menu and select no startup, then run the program there, do not run setpatch.  Should work.  You can also select no cache if it doesn't.
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 07:23:32 PM »
Problem is that I don't have a 15KHz monitor that'll allow me to get at the preboot startup screen...  And I'll have to find my mouse :-D .  I'm running EGS on a PiccoloSD64.

I do have an old modulator in my parts bin, so I suppose I can  hook up through that.  Better than nothing :-)

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll get off my rear and do it.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 08:31:29 PM »
I am so "gosh darned" stoooopid.

I realise this only after digging out the 1942 monitor I'd forgotten about, and plugging in the Quantum 105MB SCSI drives that I'd forgotten about to see if the data I'd wanted was on there.

And after trying to get Byte'n'back to work.  I think it might be something to do with AFS, but it really isn't working.  It crashed without setpatch, but if I let my Workbench 3.0 disk boot to completion, it was a bit happier...

Aaaaaaaanyhow!

I made these backups from the 4000...  So how did I make them?

Answer: I didn't use Byte'n'back because it doesn't work!

The disks were even teasing me.  They're not DOS disks, so my Amiga was kindly showing me the first 4 bytes.  QB00, QB01, QB02...

QuarterBack works brilliantly on this machine.

"D'oh!" "D'oh!" "D'oh"

Hit head on wall.

Hang head in shame

Skip around room a little bit :-)

Offline graffias79

• Show only replies by graffias79
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 02:17:55 PM »

chiark wrote:

QuarterBack works brilliantly on this machine.

"D'oh!" "D'oh!" "D'oh"

Hit head on wall.

Hang head in shame

Skip around room a little bit :-)

*dialing 9-1-1* "um yeah we have another one!!"

hehe
j/k

It's nice to find a simple solution to a problem, especially when it is in regards to data you may have lost.

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 02:36:34 PM »
try to boot in OCS mode (Early-SS boot menu)

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 02:37:55 PM »
Uh hu, there's been a knock at the door, and some nice men in white coats with large syringes want "a friendly chat with me".  Call 'em off, call 'em off!!!

It's nice to find a simple solution to a problem, especially when it is in regards to data you may have lost.

Simple?  LOL :-) I resurrected hard discs, found monitors I didn't know I had, and all to realise that the data was backed up with quarterback.  I am such a pillock sometimes :-D

But it is great to find all the data that I wanted.  It's all my 68000 source code which I archived off when I got the 040.

I think I might treat my Amiga to a slightly bigger hard disk - at the moment, the 370MB is a little bit limiting, but "back in the day" it was huge!