Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help Installing SCSI Card Reader [A2000]  (Read 681 times)

Description:

Offline FindlarnTopic starter

• Show only replies by Findlarn
Re: Help Installing SCSI Card Reader [A2000]
« Reply #14 from previous page: May 21, 2016, 02:16:21 PM »
Thanks for the help. :) But that also means that I must find another way of transferring it to the Amiga. But as a lucky coincidence I have just recently ordered an external CD-Rom drive. So hopefully I can transfer it that way. I will come back later when it has arrived, and hopefully some progress has been made...

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 09:46:08 PM »
So now I have gotten my external CD-Rom drive. Unfortunately I cannot seem to get it to work! It shows up when I check the SCSI mounter tool. But I can't get it to actually read any CD's. Could the problem be because I don't have a termination thingy connected to it? Or is there some sort of LUN conflict between the drive and the card reader? I can only set the CD-Rom to numbers between 0 and 6. And none of them seems to do any difference. And by the way, how is the Amiga suppose to react when you insert a CD?

I also noted a strange thing regarding the other matter. On the Better WB website, under the list of new and enhanced features it says:

"-Support for FAT and FAT32 volumes is achieved with fat95"

So why isn't it working when it is included already? And where do I go then to change
the device and unit fields?

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 09:59:07 PM »
Quote from: Findlarn;809045
It shows up when I check the SCSI mounter tool. But I can't get it to actually read any CD's. Could the problem be because I don't have a termination thingy connected to it? Or is there some sort of LUN conflict between the drive and the card reader? I can only set the CD-Rom to numbers between 0 and 6. And none of them seems to do any difference. And by the way, how is the Amiga suppose to react when you insert a CD?

Did you install the DOSdriver?  Is it configured correctly?  A correctly configured CD drive should show an icon on the desktop when you insert a disk, and remove it when you eject the disk (unless you have a window open to it).  Exactly the same as with a floppy disk.  ;)

If termination is wrong you likely won't see any SCSI devices on the chain, so your problem is more likely software/configuration than hardware.
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 06:08:58 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;809046
Did you install the DOSdriver?  Is it configured correctly?  A correctly configured CD drive should show an icon on the desktop when you insert a disk, and remove it when you eject the disk (unless you have a window open to it).  Exactly the same as with a floppy disk.  ;)

If termination is wrong you likely won't see any SCSI devices on the chain, so your problem is more likely software/configuration than hardware.

No I didn't install it. Like I said in my previous post it is already included in the "BetterWB" package. Besides, I don't remember how you transferred files to your HDD under Winuae. (Because I guess that would be the easiest way of doing it...)  

The problem that I have know, and what I still don't understand is. Where and how you configure these DOS drivers?

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 05:17:20 AM »
It's a text file. You can configure it with Ed or any other text editor, as long as you don't change the format of the file. Look at the one I posted previously as an example. ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 02:34:14 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;809297
It's a text file. You can configure it with Ed or any other text editor, as long as you don't change the format of the file. Look at the one I posted previously as an example. ;)

Ok. Now I understand :) I have also now used Winuae to transfer it to the Amiga. (and I assume now that you should place it under "Devs/DOSDrivers") I then tried it with an 1GB FAT formatted SD card using the default settings, but unfortunately it didn't work.  

And I don't understand how I'm suppose to know what those "device and unit fields" should be set to? You said "through trial and error" But to be honest I have absolutely no idea of what I'm doing. So how am I suppose to guess my way through then...? Googled quite a bit, but sadly I didn't find anything useful :(

Offline PanterHZ

• Show only replies by PanterHZ
    • http://www.rhz1.com
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 04:21:30 AM »
Quote from: Findlarn;809346
And I don't understand how I'm suppose to know what those "device and unit fields" should be set to? You said "through trial and error" But to be honest I have absolutely no idea of what I'm doing. So how am I suppose to guess my way through then...? Googled quite a bit, but sadly I didn't find anything useful :(

The Unit you specify in the mount file must be a combination of the Unit and LUN numbers, but I don't remember if it's UnitLUN or LUNUnit.

Anyway, if the card reader Unit = 0, and the card LUN = 1, the Unit you specify should be either 01 or 10.

Offline PanterHZ

• Show only replies by PanterHZ
    • http://www.rhz1.com
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 05:25:31 AM »
Quote from: Findlarn;809045
So now I have gotten my external CD-Rom drive. Unfortunately I cannot seem to get it to work! It shows up when I check the SCSI mounter tool. But I can't get it to actually read any CD's. Could the problem be because I don't have a termination thingy connected to it? Or is there some sort of LUN conflict between the drive and the card reader? I can only set the CD-Rom to numbers between 0 and 6. And none of them seems to do any difference. And by the way, how is the Amiga suppose to react when you insert a CD?

I also noted a strange thing regarding the other matter. On the Better WB website, under the list of new and enhanced features it says:

"-Support for FAT and FAT32 volumes is achieved with fat95"

So why isn't it working when it is included already? And where do I go then to change
the device and unit fields?

fat95 won't help here, since the FAT filesystem is not used on CD-Rom discs. But you should have a file in the "L" dir which has CDFS in the filename, like AmiCDFS or CacheCDFS for example. Both are filesystems that can be used with CD-Roms.

As for the mount file, check if there's a CD0 file in either "Devs/DOSDrivers" or "Storage/DOSDrivers". If not, are there any other file with "CD" in the name at these locations?