Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Graphic Advventure - Dying Game Genre?  (Read 3497 times)

Description:

Offline gnarly

• Show only replies by gnarly
    • http://thinkdrastic.net/
Re: Graphic Advventure - Dying Game Genre?
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2003, 01:26:19 PM »
MAD wrote:
/me misses good ol' 80's arcade games...
Heh, you should read Mr Biffo's column in the current Edge magazine :-)
Cheers,

Olly
Think Drastic

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2003, 10:42:47 PM »
Woah, Diablo isn't real role playing. Its clicking fast with sound in between. Warcraft is Not a RPG, you don't excatly get a dialog menu. Its an RTS game with a story. RTS in general, homeworld, Startrek? (haven't played) are different because of 3D, but the majority of games theres no difference.... Warcraft 3 could easily have been 2D and not lost any value. some of your games listed were a good thought (Neverwinter, Homeworld) but most, it never helped they're 3D and there are equally good 2D games out there. Such as Starcraft, Baldur's Gate, Civil War Generals, Stars!, et cetera.
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline Leo42

• Show only replies by Leo42
    • http://nogfx.free.fr
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2003, 11:07:12 PM »
                              Hi,

Adventure games are coming back !

Check this one: http://runaway-game.com

Sam'n'Max2 for 2004...

Monkey5 ?

etc...

Offline KingTutt

• Show only replies by KingTutt
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2003, 12:00:40 AM »
Fellas, if Cinemaware[/url] make their long awaited comeback as expected. Then graphical adventures ala It came from the Desert will make it back, and with the added bonus of a once mighty Amiga games company at the helm.

Cinemaware are already selling all their old classics on the GBA platform. So its only a matter of time now.

I also think that the graphical adventure has crossed over into other genres as gfx have improved. Gfx nowadays are detailed enough to allow for greater interactions ala the RPG titles like Interplays Fallout series.

Also, you can say that even more recent space sims like Freelancer, have the immersive role playing element that early graphical adventures strived to achieve. MAFIA, for instance was attempted by Cinemaware's King of Chicago, the only difference being about 10 years of h/w development. But their aim of creating an immersive world was the same.

So if anything, games have evolved to incorporate a little of everything that wasn't possible before.
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline KermitoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Kermito
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2003, 01:19:00 AM »
I agree with most of the comments about the article being crap. The problems is that I haven't seen any new graphic adventure game in the way they used to be. I good that lucasarts is thinking in producing sequels, but what happen to sierra, revolution, etc???     :-?

I remember a lot of people in the amiga scene even producing utilities to make this kind of games. With hope, I might see development in this genre on the A1.

RPG and RTS I guess they are ok, but nothing compare to the hidden jokes on a good Gph Adv  :-P
- - -
Armakuni, The Last Ninja

Offline ottomobiehl

• Show only replies by ottomobiehl
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2003, 05:46:32 AM »
Well, I have never actually owned a C64, I was (and still am) an Amstrad CPC freak.

I am ok with people who enjoyed (and still enjoy) the 8-bit computers of the day.  In my mind all us are kindred spirits be it C=64, Amstrade, Apple 8-bit familey, etc.  I still have my C=64 and play with it every now and then.

I believe the limitation of the systems back then forced a lot of game developers to be creative with gameplay and storys so games back then had a lot of personality. :-)

Of course with such a talented pool of game developers the Amiga came out at the right time to combine the better (superior?) graphics with exellent game development.  I think that is why the Amiga holds a soft spot in my heart and probably a lot of other peoples hearts too.

Of course this is just my 2 cents worth.  Thank you. :-D

Offline MAD

• Show only replies by MAD
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2003, 07:08:44 AM »
Hoya!

@Hammer

Well, those games you mention were not new genre of games. They have just been "enhanced" by 3D.
We had 3D adventures like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder.
µWe had Dune 2.
We had Space Crusade.
:-P

Be funky!

M A D
:afro: AMIGA :afro:
- The Computer With A Soul-

Offline MAD

• Show only replies by MAD
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2003, 07:19:06 AM »
Hoya!

@Trezzer

Lol!
If I want "oldskool action" I WON'T pick up a Dreamcast.
Putting 3D everywhere is NOT oldskool!
If I want to get oldskool, I use an Amstrad CPC or MAME or I turn on my trustworthy Ammy! :-)

Believe it or not but lots of game genres are dead now BECAUSE of fecking consoles, peecees and 3D!!!
Shoot 'em up anyone?

And YES, I played GigaWing 2 on DC...
ROTFL!!!!!!!
To me, it was a turn painted in gold!
Beautiful graphics and music.
Gameplay: 0%.
Maniability: 0%.
Difficulty: 100%!
Result: impossible to be played properly!
Moreover, the DC is a 3D thing, NOT a bitmap master! Whenever there were too many bullets on screen, it slowed down incredibly...
ROTFL :-P

Gimme Battle Squadron, Project X, R-Type, Disposable Hero...

Be funky!

M A D
:afro: AMIGA :afro:
- The Computer With A Soul-

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2003, 01:25:26 PM »
I still love

Better Dead Than Alien (this game is incredible, and it fully loads into ram by itself, highly unusual.)
Persian Gulf Inferno (I lent this game to a friend, and now it's gone :-x )
Hybris
Zynaps
NightDawn
........many more

Still haven't beaten Perils of Rosella, or Space Quest 3, or was it 4?

There's nothing like, just putting a disk into the floppy drive, AND IT WORKS!!!!!
This is what I REALLY WANT TO SEE on AOS4.0.

AmigaOne! RULLEEZZZ, and I haven't even seen one iota of it in ACTION!!!  :-D
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Turambar

• Show only replies by Turambar
    • http://gentleman-bastards.com/
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2003, 02:53:49 PM »
The other game caelth forgot was probably "Schism" however there is also a third installment of "Broken Sword" in development however this has migrated to full 3D.

Offline Mike_Amiga

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2003, 11:09:30 PM »
What about the popularity of MYST? Mind you lots of people slated it. 8-)
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline KingTutt

• Show only replies by KingTutt
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2003, 11:36:45 PM »

ottomobiehl wrote:
Well, I have never actually owned a C64, I was (and still am) an Amstrad CPC freak.

I am ok with people who enjoyed (and still enjoy) the 8-bit computers of the day.  In my mind all us are kindred spirits be it C=64, Amstrade, Apple 8-bit familey, etc.  I still have my C=64 and play with it every now and then.

I believe the limitation of the systems back then forced a lot of game developers to be creative with gameplay and storys so games back then had a lot of personality. :-)

Of course with such a talented pool of game developers the Amiga came out at the right time to combine the better (superior?) graphics with exellent game development.  I think that is why the Amiga holds a soft spot in my heart and probably a lot of other peoples hearts too.

Of course this is just my 2 cents worth.  Thank you. :-D

I completely agree with you. The Amiga came out just at the time when good game concepts were being thrown around. Cinemawares - It came from the Desert and the venerable Street Rod series and who could forget the novel Populous series

You might say that Amiga, was one of the last true gaming computers. Just like the C64, or the Spectrum. Nowadays PeeCees are but a mere shadow of the computer gaming platforms of yesteryear - they are reconditioned typewriters from the 70s. And to make matters worse, even the consoles are lacklustre by comparison.

Were has the creativity gone? The originality, the ability to create engrossing game universes. Were is the Elite of the 21st century? I'll tell you were, dead and buried under the hundreds of has been titles like Tombraider, who helped create this 3D genre for games - to our detriment mind you.

Occassionaly there is a glimmer of hope, when games like Grim Fandango came out. Or Fallout by Interplay. Or perhaps the Jagged Alliance series by Talonsoft, or the masterful and abandoned FreeSpace series by Volition. Now they are few and far between. Which is why we are all hoping for a new renaissance, ushered in with the help of the A1/OS4 platform.

Unfortunately all we can do is cross our fingers and hope.
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline Acill

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2003, 12:41:27 AM »
I dont agree, its still going strong as far as I can see. I have loved them for aslong as I can remember. I on my old PC just finished Kings Quest 3 again on my old PC laptop I have with me out here in the Gulf. To slow for UAE, and I miss my A3000!!! Get this damn war over with so I can get back to my real life!
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2003, 03:54:14 AM »

Well, those games you mention were not new genre of games.

My post has nothing to do with "new genre of games".

It's about this generalization and I quote;

Just have a look at today's games:
-Car races.
-Doom clones.
-Tomb Raider clones.
That's all.
Really lame, isn't it?

"That's all" wouldn't be true since there are other types of games for the modern gaming platforms.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2003, 04:02:29 AM »
Were is the Elite of the 21st century?

IF you want Elite style game play refer to
1. "X2- The Threat",
+ Developer: Egosoft,
+ Plan release date: 3rd/4th Quater 2003.

2. Freelancer
+ Developer: Microsoft Game Studios

Offline Hammer

« Reply #29 from previous page: March 27, 2003, 04:16:12 AM »
We had Dune 2.

With Homeworld and Imperium Galactica, one has to take care of 3D positioning and tactics.

With Westwood Studio’s "Dune 2", it's only limited to 2D positing and tactics. It’s a lot closer to Westwood Studio's C&C- Generals.

We had 3D adventures like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder.

Thought they are RPG.