Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rename file based on image size, colors and format?  (Read 2223 times)

Description:

Offline Orphan264Topic starter

Rename file based on image size, colors and format?
« on: January 29, 2019, 07:39:53 PM »
I have done some searching and not yet found what I am looking for. :(

Is there a program/utility that can batch-RENAME a folder of image/graphic files (iff/jpg/gif/etc) to a format which includes the dimensions, color-depth, and format of the image?
some examples:
AmigaArtwork-a.iff -> AmigaArtwork-a.400x200x8.iff
AmigaArtwork-b -> AmigaArtwork-b.640x480x8.jpeg

Ideally, the program would allow me to specify the data that gets included in the rename, but I will take whatever I can get.

Any thoughts?

Offline NinjaCyborg

Re: Rename file based on image size, colors and format?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 08:02:06 PM »
Should be easy enough to write a shell or REXX script to do it. Is there a image processing library with a rexxhost?

Offline nbache

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 08:40:39 PM »
You don't necessarily need an ARexx host for such a task, it's enough if you have a program that can output the information you need. Then you can call it as a command with redirection to a temp file and read that from ARexx.

I made an ARexx script once where I needed such a feature as part of the process, and my solution was to use the picture viewer Visage, which can be called as a Shell command with the INFO argument to output - among other things - the dimensions of the picture (and of course without displaying it).

There may well be other programs that can be used in a similar way, and even some more suitable - e.g. possibly within the NetPBM suite.

Best regards,

Niels

Offline develin

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 10:26:05 PM »
@Orphan264

MultiRen + included PicInfo plugin will do this easy in batches : http://www.onyxsoft.se/multiren.html

The following users thanked this post: Orphan264

Offline nbache

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 11:14:17 PM »
Wow - impressive tool! 8-o

Best regards,

Niels

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 02:28:46 PM »
@develin

Excellent! That looks like exactly what I was hoping to find! Thanks! I am looking forward to giving it a try!  :)

Thank you everyone for your assistance!

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 02:21:51 PM »
Just a follow-up post:

MultiRen + included PicInfo plugin suggested by @develin did the trick. Quite an amazing piece of software - I am keeping that around!

Thanks again!