Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: # of Amiga users? (not emulated AmigaOS) and other...  (Read 1428 times)

Description:

Offline kreciuTopic starter

# of Amiga users? (not emulated AmigaOS) and other...
« on: January 29, 2016, 11:59:50 PM »
I know, that nobody knows "how many", but maybe we should know how many of Amiga users is "around"? It would be nice to know globally or per country what is # of people who is using Amiga.

I'm happy to see that A-EON is trying to "unify" software developers (at least this how it looks like for me) and AmigaOS 4.x users (copy registration).

I "come back" to Amiga after some (longer) break and there is a lots of GOOD things happening, but lack of web browser for NG Amigas  and other "productivity" software it will KILL it for sure... (BTW. Is Amiga still alive? ;) :P)

I think we need someone to take charge in software development/fundraising/startups etc. I have no idea about software development but "we" need to PAY MONEY as a community (if we are community of any sort...) for software development... not only for products that are ready. NOBODY will spend time (read: full time job) to develop software and LATER sell it...

I think that release of AmigaOS4.1 is some sort of miracle...

Can we have some sort of fund/grant system for software development for Amiga? There is plenty of people who actually CAN program, but they need MONEY to spend time on projects. It would be great if we could as a community support software development in some direct way.

PS. No, you don't have to answer or read this thread :P.
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: # of Amiga users? (not emulated AmigaOS) and other...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 12:08:53 AM »
Quote from: kreciu;803121
"we" need to PAY MONEY as a community (if we are community of any sort...) for software development... not only for products that are ready. NOBODY will spend time (read: full time job) to develop software and LATER sell it...

I've backed nearly every Amiga-related Kickstarter to come out in the past several years.  That seems to me the best option, since otherwise all we wind up with is empty promises and vaporware.  Or things that we won't be able to buy until sometime next century (still looking at you, Prisma Megamix!).  :lol:

Would gladly pay more for more Amiga development, problem is also that some people just don't seem to want the money (i.e., software like IBrowse, which you can't even legally purchase anymore).  Would gladly buy a copy, if they'd be willing to sell it!  :confused:

But yeah, the trend of Amiga users wanting everything for free really makes me like this:  :furious:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Aegis

• Show only replies by Aegis
    • http://www.survivorfilms.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 12:19:51 AM »
Are emulator users not 'Amiga users' then? :P

As for contributing, in the last month I've purchased AmigaOS 4.1 and also PPaint PPC via the AmiStore - as an 'emulator user' I have no problem paying for software (Amiga Forever included) the problem is there's nothing much available I want/need.

I'll be registering WarpDT soon and I'm interested in Image FX and Aladdin when (if?) A-Eon get around to releasing them - other than that there's nothing really on my must-have list atm.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:24:11 AM by Aegis »
Catapultem habeo. Nisi pecuniam amnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 12:33:20 AM »
Quote from: kreciu;803121
I know, that nobody knows "how many", but maybe we should know how many of Amiga users is "around"? It would be nice to know globally or per country what is # of people who is using Amiga.
how are we supposed to know? or do you want another guess game? anyway if you want a figure you can refer to registered members number at hyperions forum. also you can check the number of publicly registered licenses for morphos. what concerns the user numbers of aros or amigas, there is no way to count them, but judging by activity on foras alone, amiga users outnumber the ng ones in any case by magnitudes.

I'm happy to see that A-EON is trying to "unify" software developers (at least this how it looks like for me) and AmigaOS 4.x users (copy registration).
how many developers did they "unify"? and what would be the advantage of such unification?

I "come back" to Amiga after some (longer) break and there is a lots of GOOD things happening, but lack of web browser for NG Amigas  and other "productivity" software it will KILL it for sure... (BTW. Is Amiga still alive? ;) :P)
certainly one rather good thing seems to happen, being the release of vampire boards. not many amiga related projects came that far, not to speak of the features delivered. usually stuff is being simply quietly given up on. of course there is other fpga projects, development of a new warpos solution underway and expected availability of new, even if expensive hardware for os4 and morphos.

I think we need someone to take charge in software development/fundraising/startups etc. I have no idea about software development but "we" need to PAY MONEY as a community (if we are community of any sort...) for software development... not only for products that are ready. NOBODY will spend time (read: full time job) to develop software and LATER sell it...
it doesnt make sense as long as the code is not open. you pay in advance and one day, in the middle of the task, the developer, whose motivation under circumstances may hardly be a financial one, decides to walk away, leaving you with nothing but some half working binary, not to be fixed or finished. you want that?

I think that release of AmigaOS4.1 is some sort of miracle...
at least its a relic for some.

Can we have some sort of fund/grant system for software development for Amiga? There is plenty of people who actually CAN program, but they need MONEY to spend time on projects. It would be great if we could as a community support software development in some direct way.
its being done. in some cases it works, in some not. its called bounties. now where are these people you talk about?

PS. No, you don't have to answer or read this thread :P.