Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1200 - To Purchase or not?  (Read 670 times)

Description:

Offline FireflyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Firefly
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~julianwolfe
A1200 - To Purchase or not?
« on: July 22, 2003, 06:42:24 PM »
Hi All,

I'm a prospective A1200 buyer, and was wondering how difficult it is to install a hard disk in an A1200, and what a hard-disk absent A1200 is mising, other than the hard disk.  Do I need a special cable to mount a 2.5" hard disk, or is it already inside the computer?I have an unused 15GB notebook drive that I was going to put into the Amiga if I bought it, but if I have to spend a bunch of money to mount it, then I may not buy the 1200.

Advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Julian

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
Re: A1200 - To Purchase or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 06:50:46 PM »
The mounting bracket for a 2.5" disk is already inside the A1200, you'll need the IDE cable though.  Eyetech sells them for a tenner IIRC.

As for a 15GB disk, you'll need to think about the 4GB barrier, there's been another thread on this recently, and I don't know enough about the issue to be able to advise you on the best course of action there.

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
Re: A1200 - To Purchase or not?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 08:53:13 PM »
I recently installed a HDD into my a1200 - was relativley easy, well done to the peeps of #a.org for the assistance. I had the cable with my drive, make sure you line it up the correct way as 4 pins are power and you can fry the drive / mobo.

If you need step by step help, try asking in the mirc chat room :-)

Kevin :-D
WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)