Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Announcing the Amiga.org Motorcycle Club.  (Read 4723 times)

Description:

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
Re: Announcing the Amiga.org Motorcycle Club.
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 09:11:03 AM »
Wayne wrote:
it's all the other idiots around you who are literally driving blind and deaf to motorcycles

StormLord wrote:
1) all other drivers are mad and blinds and the only thing they want is to get you down

It's funny you guys should say that, because most sensible car drivers think motorcyclists, who often drive way to fast, weave in and out of traffic, overtake on corners and are generally intimidating to other drivers, are the ones who are "idiots" or "mad and blind" :rolleyes:
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 01:23:26 PM »
Quote from: motorollin;514207
It's funny you guys should say that, because most sensible car drivers think motorcyclists, who often drive way to fast, weave in and out of traffic, overtake on corners and are generally intimidating to other drivers, are the ones who are "idiots" or "mad and blind" :rolleyes:
It's, uh.. yeah..  There's no arguing that a small percentage of riders act like smegheads and make the rest of us look bad.  Just like 1% of bad cops make people distrust all cops.

In regards to "weaving in and out of traffic", I've been known to do so, but ONLY when my own safety is at risk.  For example, if I -- doing the speed limit -- end up perilously close to the back of a car that seems like it's going to stop, OR, if I find myself riding in someone's blind spot, I'll do whatever it takes to get the hell out of that situation.

That's why I don't own a sport bike.  Just too tempting.  I've got an 800 pound 6-cylinder with enough power to pull me, plus a trailer for 300 miles between stops.  It's also agile enough to use to run to the corner store or make the 6 mile run to work with and has both iPod, and on it to boot.

Why anyone would want a smaller bike capable of 200mph without much effort mystifies me, as the danger factor of those bikes is, I would guess, about 10-fold.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline motorollin

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 01:54:38 PM »
Maybe motorcyclists where you live place more value on the lives of others (and, presumably, themselves). I don't think I have ever seen a motorcyclists who wasn't driving recklessly, whether by speeding, driving between lanes of traffic and then forcing their way in, undertaking, overtaking on bends, or driving way too close to the vehicles in front, presumably to attempt to intimidate them in to pulling over. They seem to be aggressive, impatient and without regard for their own safety, let alone that of other drivers. And I certainly would not say that this is a minority, certainly not where I live anyway. I also have personal experience of how dangerous these idiots can be - my parents were almost killed by a motorcyclists who was driving towards them on the wrong side of the road, overtaking on a blind corner. The car was a write-off, and the assessors said that had the wheel struck one inch either side of where it did, it most likely would have driven up the bonnet and through the windscreen.
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline tone007

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 02:02:50 PM »
Here's a good link to check out should you ever feel the need to go riding your motorcycle like an ass. http://mydeathspace.com/article-list.aspx?q=motorcycle
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline amiga92570

• Show only replies by amiga92570
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 02:34:43 PM »
Out here in Southern California I see riders doing wheelees and power stop on the freeway. On misshap and it not the fall that kills you, its the 10 vehicles running you down while your on the pavement.. Talk about brains. When I was younger I used to ride a lot faster, but as we age you LEARN to slow down and think. Some people just dont make it through the learning curve I guess. I still comute every day on motorcycle 80 miles roundtrip. I have however; with age, given up riding in the rain and fog.
Amiga92570
==========================
(1) 4000T/040 (2)3000t CS 060/233ppc Picasso IV video, (2)D-box 1200 blizzard 060/200ppc Mediator fastATA, (1)amiga 1200 Power tower, (1)amiga 1200 EZ tower with mediator,1200/030/50mhz, (3) amiga 500 with CSA Mega Midget Racer and Trump card AT, (2) amiga 600 one with M-tec 030, (3) CD32 one sx32, two sx32-pro, More accessories and parts than I want to admit to

• Winning!
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 02:38:15 PM »
Quote from: motorollin;514219
Maybe motorcyclists where you live place more value on the lives of others (and, presumably, themselves). I don't think I have ever seen a motorcyclists who wasn't driving recklessly, whether by speeding, driving between lanes of traffic and then forcing their way in, undertaking, overtaking on bends, or driving way too close to the vehicles in front, presumably to attempt to intimidate them in to pulling over.

Again, I am sorry to hear that you've had such negative experiences, but like getting Redrumloa to accept the President of the US isn't the Anti-Christ, a lot of what you see is based on your own slightly skewed perspective.  Your parents were in a wreck with one, so naturally you're prone to see all motorcyclists as evil and anything they do as "aggresive".  It goes without saying, and that's ok.

I can only assure you that your perspective isn't 100% correct.  The only people I've ever seen acting that way were specifically sport bike riders, and when you get that much power between your legs, it's sometimes hard to remember rule #1.  ("You COULD die")...

As for myself, I know I'm not a perfect rider, and I'm sure that there have been times I've caused cagers to think twice, but;

1) I've NEVER done anything which places either their, or my safety in jeopardy.

2) The worst I've ever done is get the f****** cager idiot to get off his damned cell phone and pay attention.

This morning for example, on the 6 mile to work, I rode "serpentine" meaning that while I never crossed or got close to the line, I slowly rotated my position in the lane from left to right.  

Why?  Because it got the cagers in front, behind, and to the sides of me to wake up and realize I was there.  Did it annoy them?  Don't know.  Don't care.  It's my life in jeopardy if they don't see me, and it's my job to be seen without placing anyone's safety in jeopardy.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

• Winning!
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 02:42:57 PM »
Quote from: amiga92570;514232
Out here in Southern California I see riders doing wheelees and power stop on the freeway. On misshap and it not the fall that kills you, its the 10 vehicles running you down while your on the pavement.. Talk about brains.

That's what I'm talking about.  The 1% that make everyone look bad.  You've never seen a cruiser or touring bike doing those things, it's always the 20-somethings riding 150 horsepower sport-bike kiddies out there still thinking they're immortal.

At 43, I've realized riding a motorcycle really is a Zen experience.  You and the motorcycle act as one.  No motorcycle, even a moped, is a toy and if you don't respect it, it's not going to respect you.  Don't believe me?  Get on a jet ski and act stupid.  See where that gets you.
//* Signature Free *//

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 02:45:26 PM »
can we have a Corvette club also? :)
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

• Winning!
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 02:48:04 PM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;514237
can we have a Corvette club also? :)

Sure.  Note the "create a group" link on the groups page under "Community / Social Groups".

Knock yourself out, and feel free to announce it in this forum, as I did.  I really don't think a lot of you even know the social groups exist, but you can create any group you want as long as it's not NSFW..

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline motorollin

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 02:48:13 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;514235
Again, I am sorry to hear that you've had such negative experiences, but like getting Redrumloa to accept the President of the US isn't the Anti-Christ, a lot of what you see is based on your own slightly skewed perspective.  Your parents were in a wreck with one, so naturally you're prone to see all motorcyclists as evil and anything they do as "aggresive".  It goes without saying, and that's ok.

I respectfully disagree. Driving on the motorway, I regularly see motorcyclists weaving in between lanes of traffic at up to and beyond 100mph, forcing their way through the traffic making drivers slam their brakes on, and overtaking on blind bends. This is not a case of skewed perspective - it's a case of observing what people are actually doing. Perhaps people don't ride like that where you live. If so, you're lucky.

The only people I've ever seen acting that way were specifically sport bike riders, and when you get that much power between your legs, it's sometimes hard to remember rule #1.  ("You COULD die")...

I don't know anything about motorbikes, but I'm assuming a sport bike would be something like this, as opposed to the armchair-on-wheels type cruiser. If so, you very, very rarely see the latter here in England, with the vast majority of motorcyclists riding the former, sporty type. Clearly, they choose this type of vehicle because it is very, very fast - and they use that speed with no respect for other motorists.

1) I've NEVER done anything which places either their, or my safety in jeopardy.

2) The worst I've ever done is get the f****** cager idiot to get off his damned cell phone and pay attention.

I certainly don't mean to imply that car users (I'm assuming that's a 'cager') all drive perfectly - far from it. All I'm saying is that I see a much larger proportion of motorcyclists driving recklessly that I do car drivers.

I don't mean to hijack your thread with negativity, I'm just offering a different perspective. I'll go away now ;)
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 03:00:40 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;514239
Sure.  Note the "create a group" link on the groups page under "Community / Social Groups".

Knock yourself out, and feel free to announce it in this forum, as I did.  I really don't think a lot of you even know the social groups exist, but you can create any group you want as long as it's not NSFW..

Wayne

Very cool.  Since I cant log in from work (I'm off today), I dont get time to check out the site.  After work, kids, etc.. cant play on AO like I used to :(    I've been looking around today, and man, Wayne..you've done an awesome job with the new features.  Very cool... pat yourself on the back..and drink some Captain Morgan for me too!  LOL
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

• Winning!
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 03:05:30 PM »
Quote from: motorollin;514240
I respectfully disagree. Driving on the motorway, I regularly see motorcyclists weaving in between lanes of traffic at up to and beyond 100mph, forcing their way through the traffic making drivers slam their brakes on, and overtaking on blind bends. This is not a case of skewed perspective - it's a case of observing what people are actually doing. Perhaps people don't ride like that where you live. If so, you're lucky.

I don't know anything about motorbikes, but I'm assuming a sport bike would be something like this, as opposed to the armchair-on-wheels type cruiser. If so, you very, very rarely see the latter here in England, with the vast majority of motorcyclists riding the former, sporty type. Clearly, they choose this type of vehicle because it is very, very fast - and they use that speed with no respect for other motorists.

I certainly don't mean to imply that car users (I'm assuming that's a 'cager') all drive perfectly - far from it. All I'm saying is that I see a much larger proportion of motorcyclists driving recklessly that I do car drivers.

I don't mean to hijack your thread with negativity, I'm just offering a different perspective. I'll go away now ;)

Don't go away, it's a valid conversation, and kind of important actually.

I don't know where you're from, but here in the states, yes, a majority of bikes are sports bikes (the one you linked is a good example of what we call a "crotch rocket").  The other notable purchases are Cruisers (Harley Davidson and others) -- what you call wheelchair bikes, followed by touring bikes which are usually the larger bikes with the bags.

Each bike, like it's owner, has a personality of its own, and tends to amplify those tendencies in their respective owner.  

Sport bikes are owned (primarily) by younger people who still feel that they're invulnerable and immortal.  As such, putting 150 hp at their disposal in a 400 pound package capable of 200mph has never been a good idea, but until the authorities REQUIRE people to have certain levels of training for each type bike, there ya go.

The problems you see are more a problem of regulation, training, and lack of police action.  If the police cared enough to crack down (as they do here in my area of the States), then you'd see a lot less of that type crap.

Cruisers
(generalizing) are owned by older, middle aged people who just want to enjoy getting from place to place with a bit of style.  They don't particularly do 300 - 400 mile days, but they might, on occasion, get on the bike and go bar hopping.

Touring Bikes (again, generalizing) tend to be owned by middle aged or older riders who enjoy being able to -- on a whim -- pack up a suitcase, then ride in any given direction, usually long distance, with or without their significant other.   Think of them as the Winnebego of bikes.

I fall into the latter category, though I use my bike for everything (weather permitting).  I love being able to get off of work on a Thursday for a three day weekend (as I'm doing today), having 3 days clothes in the bike, and heading off on a "loop" which encompasses 4 states, and about 1000 miles, on a whim.  

The only uncertainty being the hotel room for the night's stay, but even if everything's sold out, I have my tent packed as well.  All this while getting 42 miles per gallon, and rocking out to my iPod.
//* Signature Free *//

Offline StormLord

• Show only replies by StormLord
    • http://www.amimac.gr
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 04:36:14 PM »
1 out every 3 car drivers thats moving in Greek roads you will see that they are using their phone while driving, another 1 every 3 cars are still using their phones while driving but they are using a bluetooth device. Even if using phone by bluetooth is legal, its still distracts the attention of driver out of the road and its dangerous. Most accidents are because of lack of attention, and that is something that car drivers are by far exceeding bike riders.
Also, lighter vehicles can go faster and safer than larger ones, even if that distinction in most countries laws are between tracks and all other vehicles, it should be another category : bikes
Also because of the above reasons bikers don't feel secure (and they are not) by being near of larger vehicles, and my suggestion is : overtake when its safe to do, or if the larger vehicle is speeding, slow down for it to get far away, and then continue with your cruising speed.
many car drivers , especially in cities with much traffic do the opposite of defensive driving.
as you see, in everything in life, there are bad people and good people.
But just think, in a collision between car and a bike who will survive and who will not.

Offline motorollin

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 04:43:37 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;514245
I don't know where you're from, but here in the states, yes, a majority of bikes are sports bikes (the one you linked is a good example of what we call a "crotch rocket").

Each bike, like it's owner, has a personality of its own, and tends to amplify those tendencies in their respective owner.  

Sport bikes are owned (primarily) by younger people who still feel that they're invulnerable and immortal.  As such, putting 150 hp at their disposal in a 400 pound package capable of 200mph has never been a good idea, but until the authorities REQUIRE people to have certain levels of training for each type bike, there ya go.

I'm from England. While I agree that different levels of training for each type of bike would be wise, that wouldn't stop people choosing to ignore that training. I doubt anybody is taught to drive recklessly, but they still do it.

The problems you see are more a problem of regulation, training, and lack of police action

But also of some people being idiots, and choosing to behave in ways which are dangerous to others. No amount of regulation, training or police action will stop people being idiots, or make them start caring about other people's safety.
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

• Winning!
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 05:36:15 PM »
@motorollin

Again, motorcycling isn't for everyone.  All I can ask is that you accept that not all motorcyclists are insane, dangerous, and rude.  Spend some time around the local GoldWing chapter and you'd be literally bored to death.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 02, 2009, 05:36:48 PM »
...Each bike, like it's owner, has a personality of its own, and tends to amplify those tendencies in their respective owner.  

The problems you see are more a problem of regulation, training, and lack of police action.  If the police cared enough to crack down (as they do here in my area of the States), then you'd see a lot less of that type crap.

Cruisers
(generalizing) are owned by older, middle aged people who just want to enjoy getting from place to place with a bit of style.  They don't particularly do 300 - 400 mile days, but they might, on occasion, get on the bike and go bar hopping.

Touring Bikes (again, generalizing) tend to be owned by middle aged or older riders who enjoy being able to -- on a whim -- pack up a suitcase, then ride in any given direction, usually long distance, with or without their significant other.   Think of them as the Winnebego of bikes..

hey..what about us enduro riders :-)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel: