Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1080 monitor -- glossy or anti-glare confusion  (Read 269 times)

Description:

Offline yorgleTopic starter

• Show only replies by yorgle
    • http://umlautllama.com
A1080 monitor -- glossy or anti-glare confusion
« on: December 18, 2014, 06:55:47 PM »
Many years ago (1997ish) I lost my original 1080 monitor.  It was failing, I couldn't repair it anymore, and so i ditched it.  (I've since learned how to repair it, but that's besides the point.)

In any event, the 1080 I had, had an anti-glare screen, slightly frosted.

Recently, an opportunity presented itself for me to get another, fully working 1080 for $30, so I jumped on it.  My A1000 will love to see an old friend again.

However, this one has a glossy screen.  It otherwise looks the same as I remember, although the power button doesn't have "POWER" embossed into it... it's smooth.  And it seems to have feet which you can prop down in the back of the bottom, which I don't remember on mine.  I looked around and found some info on the A1080, that states that it was made by Toshiba, and yet I've also found info that it was made by Goldstar.

Anyone know quite what's going on here?  Before having this in my hands, I've never heard of a 1080 with a glossy screen...

Offline TjLaZer

Re: A1080 monitor -- glossy or anti-glare confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 09:32:13 PM »
Quote from: yorgle;780114
Many years ago (1997ish) I lost my original 1080 monitor.  It was failing, I couldn't repair it anymore, and so i ditched it.  (I've since learned how to repair it, but that's besides the point.)

In any event, the 1080 I had, had an anti-glare screen, slightly frosted.

Recently, an opportunity presented itself for me to get another, fully working 1080 for $30, so I jumped on it.  My A1000 will love to see an old friend again.

However, this one has a glossy screen.  It otherwise looks the same as I remember, although the power button doesn't have "POWER" embossed into it... it's smooth.  And it seems to have feet which you can prop down in the back of the bottom, which I don't remember on mine.  I looked around and found some info on the A1080, that states that it was made by Toshiba, and yet I've also found info that it was made by Goldstar.

Anyone know quite what's going on here?  Before having this in my hands, I've never heard of a 1080 with a glossy screen...

Every 1080 I have seen, had a frosty screen!  Maybe this one had a screen upgrade or replacement?  Commodore also released a 1084S, and a 2002 monitor that had the exact same casing.  Also a 1902 composite monitor, maybe a tube was used from one of those?

Just checked one of my Commodore 2002 monitors and it DOES NOT have a frosty screen!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:54:54 PM by TjLaZer »
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 09:55:08 PM »
Commodore shopped around to find during their monitors lifetime and used multiple vendors it reproduce the spec's it desired; feel luck to find an almost 30 year-old monitor that works, and as far as the glossy screen, don't take it outside in the sun.

Offline yorgleTopic starter

• Show only replies by yorgle
    • http://umlautllama.com
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 02:01:14 AM »
For what it's worth, this one is from Fujitsu.