Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS/2/Linux  (Read 3854 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: OS/2/Linux
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 10:47:23 PM »
Let's see IBM is the largest producer of PowerPC chips... Hey, port OS/2 Linux to PPC!!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 12:06:46 AM »
Quote from: kolla;553536
The Amiga connection is bogus - wikipedia isnt the truth.

It's scary to read wikipedia on topic one actually know something about, probably the quality of the rest of wikipedia is equally bad.

Here's a novel idea for you, correct the errors in the wiki article? :p.

Offline kolla

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 01:25:58 AM »
Quote from: odin;553582
Here's a novel idea for you, correct the errors in the wiki article? :p.

I did. I've fixed quite alot of these articles, but I get fed up chasing revisionists with their various agendas.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline TrevTopic starter

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 02:25:36 AM »
And people complained when Wikipedia said they'd restrict editing....

• Zero
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 02:34:48 AM »
Quote from: desiv;553558
With twinax, yes..
Token Ring?  No way....  That is one of the most elegant protocols ever!

Our problems with token ring were mostly related to faulty--and they were all "faulty" at some point thanks to flimsy construction--MAUs that wouldn't close relays when a station was disconnected. Folks were always kicking the STP data connectors out of the socket.

• Zero
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 02:47:58 AM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;553563
I was really only talking about our IT environment at the time, and specifically about the number of 'problems' users had depending on whether they were required to use OS/2 or Windows on their desktop/laptop. The number of stupid little pathetic problems that Win95 has was a major pain in the butt and M$ never bothered to fix the worst of them...."it's a feature" bullshit constantly. And for us...CITRIX killed off all the problems with people buggering up their desktop Windows machines anyway. Remember this was in the late 90s, and it was really putting the control back to the IT people a la mainframe/terminal days of the 70s IT corporate environment.

People have a tendency to bugger up whatever you put in front of them. ;-) Yes, properly implemented, XenApp and its predecessors are perfect for application configuration management.

Maintaining a stable and productive environment does not require wresting control from users. I'd argue exactly the opposite, in fact, as the business conducted by those users lines my pockets each pay period. It's our job to enable users, not cripple them, and a good technologist should excel at successfully balancing everyone's requirements. (I'm still annoyed by stupid user tricks, of course.)

Plus, putting all your eggs into one basket a la mainframe computing is always a bad bet.

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 03:18:37 AM »
Quote from: Trev;553601
People have a tendency to bugger up whatever you put in front of them. ;-) Yes, properly implemented, XenApp and its predecessors are perfect for application configuration management.

Maintaining a stable and productive environment does not require wresting control from users. I'd argue exactly the opposite, in fact, as the business conducted by those users lines my pockets each pay period. It's our job to enable users, not cripple them, and a good technologist should excel at successfully balancing everyone's requirements. (I'm still annoyed by stupid user tricks, of course.)

Plus, putting all your eggs into one basket a la mainframe computing is always a bad bet.

Point taken but I'll give you an example of why CITRIX was a solution for us personally.....

Not very astute assistant manager in some financial dept takes laptop home.....son puts on AOL free trial....employee comes in on Monday and complains network is down.

or

Employee installs Doom on work desktop PC, overwrites/changes various setting on PC trying to get it to work over office network.

These are just a handful of examples why people at work don't require more than the facility to access the specific applications they need to complete their financial tasks in the business. So for us it was the right way to go (I left in 99 but I'm pretty sure they went ahead with it anyway after fantastic trials). No offence but people are there to work not download MP3s and burn CDs on their desktop machines or install internet free trials on their laptops. I'm sure you know that the IT Dept was usually the first to get shafted as far as resource allocation goes...so if they want the extras the company needs to build in 50% redundancy for staffing resource in our dept to fix these type of non work related problems :)

Of course nowadays there are other compromises inbetween to get the same sort of effect but more resilience in your IT delivery solution to the users.

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 03:32:01 AM »
Haven't watched it yet myself, but here is a whole episode of Computer Chronicles dedicated to OS/2 Warp.

http://www.archive.org/details/OS2Warp

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 10:33:15 AM »
Quote from: kolla;553536
The Amiga connection is bogus - wikipedia isnt the truth.

It's scary to read wikipedia on topic one actually know something about, probably the quality of the rest of wikipedia is equally bad.

Correct it. That's the whole point of wikipedia.
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 01:39:19 PM »
This is wikipedias problem.  Nobody sees that they have an agenda, they're just "chasing revisionists with their various agendas" and setting the record right.

Quote from: kolla;553591
I did. I've fixed quite alot of these articles, but I get fed up chasing revisionists with their various agendas.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline espenbo

• Show only replies by espenbo
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Well if you are intrested in trying OS/2 you can download the beta of the "new" OS/2. eComstation 2.
Go to http://www.ecomstation.com/ and follow the development.

Espen

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 09:33:03 PM »
Quote from: Lurch;553556

Not sure what Windows 7 you've been running but it has no issues running on a machine with 512MB of RAM

Yeah, sure. It even runs fine on my 386 DX 40.

Offline Tension

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 02:44:47 AM »
Quote from: Colani1200;554778

I actually have managed to get it running in safe mode on my VIC-20.

Pics to follow.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 08:36:42 AM »
Quote from: Colani1200;554778

Having actual real world experience supporting Windows 7 (not to mention being in the IT industry for over 15 odd years) I do know what Windows 7 is capable of.

You just need to do a Google and find many success stories with 7. Microsoft listened to their users and and upped their game.

Windows 7 was designed from the ground up to fix the issues that were present in Vista, I could go into the details on this but I know it wouldn't make any difference to some peoples views (some of which haven't even used 7).

I think some people just jump on the band wagon because it's the latest trend and not actually look at the facts. In my mind I use a product if it's good not who produces it.

Cheap comments like the above are not needed and do not add to the conversation in anyway. I'm very surprised to see this sort of attitude in the Amiga forums, just seems childish and pointless.

Back to lurking I think.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 08:59:30 AM »
Win7 boots quicker than Vista, it uses the hard drive less, and IMO looks rubbish next to Vista, Performance wise, its on par with XP.  Compatibility wise, XP runs everything I have, Vista less so, and Win 7 even less.  My mobile broadband modem is detected immediately first time every time in XP, every second time with Vista and every third or fourth or after a re-boot in Win 7. Security, well sure its more secure, but so was XP compared to 98, we'll see where 7 is security-wise in 5 years.

Me?  i use win 7 because of Mediacentre.  Thats all.

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 22, 2010, 09:01:44 AM »
Quote from: Lurch;554824
Having actual real world experience supporting Windows 7 (not to mention being in the IT industry for over 15 odd years) I do know what Windows 7 is capable of.

Then you should at least know what the system requirements are:
http://windows.microsoft.com/systemrequirements