Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New PS3/Nintendo Wii, gaming in general  (Read 3329 times)

Description:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: New PS3/Nintendo Wii, gaming in general
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 12:12:18 AM »
this is true, but £150 compared to whatever the ps3 will be , is it £400 - £600. I really dont mind
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Olecranon

• Show only replies by Olecranon
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 12:42:28 AM »
In the next month or so, I'm going to purchase a 1080P Sony KDS-50A2000 HDTV.  I'll need a High Def Video player to take advantage of it, so I'll be picking up a PS3 when I can get ahold of one.  For me the HUGE selling point of the PS3 is it's ability to play Blu-Ray movies.  Right now stand alone Blu-Ray players are running about $900.  The PS3 is a bargain at $599.  My gut feeling is that Blu-Ray will beat HD DVD because of the PS3.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 01:05:23 AM »
Viva Piñata FTW!  

Actually, I think the Wii will be fun.  What I'm really hoping is that the virtual console games support multiplayer (over Internet).  I'll try to pick one up this weekend.  I saw the games, controllers, etc. are already on sale but I didn't see much in the launch titles that was interesting.  After all, Zelda is just the same old thing with more pixels, more effects, and more enemies.  
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Gav

• Show only replies by Gav
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 01:44:28 AM »
Hmm this is a hard one for me actually since i own the last/current gen machines,dreamcast,gamecube,xbox and ps2...
I do like the nintendo and the wii does look good but on the gamecube i have hardly played on it..
Mainly because there was only a hand full of games i liked that werent ports from the xbox or ps2..Mario kart,wwe day of reckoning,F zero and a couple more..

I had bought the dreamcast first and that was an amazing machine that actually felt like a large jump from the ps1,N64,saturn...PS3 sounds great but i doubt i will have that kind of money so until there is a price drop in a few yrs im just watching the 360 and wii and see what games are on what then i`ll buy one of them.

Right now i`m enjoying farcry on my xbox and Ridge racer on my psp.
A1200,BPPC603e+@240mhz-060@50mhz/Scsi2 192mb,Powerflyer,Mediator SX,Voodoo 3000,SB128,Tv card,SD/FF,Ethernet,CDRW.

Offline MskoDestny

• Show only replies by MskoDestny
    • http://www.retrodev.com
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 05:02:06 AM »
So far I'm not impressed with the Wii. I played with one for a bit at a Gamestop. The only game that seemed to be available was ExciteTruck. It was an okay game, but the Wiimote doesn't make a satisfying controller for a racing game, even an arcady one like ExciteTruck. The complete lack of resistance to your movements is very awkward at first. You get used to it after a little while, but it still leaves you with an unsatisfying tactile experience.

Motion sensing game controllers is nothing new. I think looking at past examples rythm games, "light-gun" games, sword-fighting games and certain types of sports games will work well with the Wii controller, but I'm not convinced that other games will. To an extent, modern arcades survive on their wacky control schemes since home consoles easily match what arcade machines can do graphically and the arcades are certainly no strangers to motion sensors and similar technology. If anyone had a vested interest in pushing the boundaries of funny motion sensing controllers you would think it would be the arcade manufacturers, yet you don't see them venture out of those genres with motion sensing tech. Granted part of this may because not all genres work well in an arcade setting, but it still doesn't inspire confidence.

Perhaps I'll change my tune when I get to try some of the other games, but for now I have no interest in buying a Wii particularly with the $250 price tag. It's too much for warmed-over last-gen hardware even if it has a fancy new controller.

The 360 has my interest at the moment. Graphically speaking, Gears of War looks better than anything I've seen for the PS3 so far (though I've only seen screenshots of PS3 games so far) and while it's pretty standard fare as far as shooters go, the strong support for multiplayer coop is a nice feature. Dead Rising seems to be a great game from the little bit of time I've spent with it and there are at least a few other titles that seem pretty interesting so far. The fact that the door is at least somewhat open for homebrew is also a plus.

Offline CaptainN

• Show only replies by CaptainN
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 05:07:13 AM »
I have to say that I spent a few hours tonight playing the Wii and the motion controller was so much fun, the Excite Truck game that was being demoed was excellent and a whole lot of fun.

Placing the controller on the side and using it as a driving wheel was so much fun.  It was pretty amazing to see 3 different women come into the store tonight and try out the game and say.. "Hey this is a lot of fun, I think I will buy one for myself.. my husband/boyfriend can use mine.."  Later that night I saw a few fathers try it out with their sons and say.. "..son we NEED to buy one of these..", "..this is the first game I have played since the 80s.."

It is when I heard that I knew that Nintendo hit the exact marketspace they wanted... everyone else and not the hardcore gamer...  I have to say that their strategy of catering to everyone may just work out great for them.

I like the anime golf game by Tecmo that requires you to use the controller like a real golf club.  I also like the Trauma Center game where you play an emergency room doctor, it just seems to me that the titles have a good variety for many people.

I am looking forward to Sunday for Zelda, Golf, Wii Sports, Trauma Center and Red Steel.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 08:37:06 AM »
Surely with all that power we should have lifelike graphics and killer sound.

Or is this a case of where the hardware is ahead of the programmers ability to use them to their full potential?

But what is really so killed about the GFX capabilities of the PS3? The gfx card of the PS3 is basically a gf7 card, which the pc has had access to for ages. PC has now actually gotten the next generation geforce cards, so i think the ps3 graphics will soon lag behind pc just like the previous sony console.
Consoles have lagged behind the pc since the playstation 1 days, which was in my opinion one if not the last console that was ahead.

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 10:57:40 AM »
people here seems to hype the Wii and well i dunno as i havent played on one yet but i do agree with one here about the wii, its like playing one of thoose  drive em up games in the arcade hall from the early 80's .. no rumble(?) and the steering wheel went on and on and on and on ...there was no end to how many times u could turn the wheel but the worst thing was that it took only 2 seconds on the wheel to make the car spin out(i think it was pole position btw... and yes Super Sprint:)).

and that my friends is just how that excite truck movie looked like :-)....

I have tried the XbX360 and PS3 and to be honest... motorstorm looks awesome, HAZE looks awesome and Gears of war Looks incredible... but does it offer anything new?...no ... do i want something new? ... well maybe.

I saw the rolling demo of Assassins Creed on the PS3 and i have no words.. this is new and i like it but its not new as in new.

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 11:35:17 AM »
So far the PS3 has been a real letdown.  It has a lot more CPU power, but the graphics are virtually identical to the XBox360.  Also, any machine with a 160mm fan (yes, really) gives me the willies.  If the games are good enough, I might buy one in 3-4 years.

I'm going to get a 360 as soon as the new 65nm CPUs are out.  I really like the games that are available, but the reliability issues still bug me.

Despite the new controller, I expect Wii games to be pretty much the same as Gamecube games.  I also like to play video games in bed before I go to sleep, and I don't have room to move the controller.  And, yes, the graphics suck for what you pay.  If it really did lauch at $170, I'd get one.

As for the PC, I just bought a new Core Duo 2 system.  It actually runs cooler than my 2.4Ghz P4, and is about 3 times as fast at a lower clock speed.  That's amazing.  I play a lot of strategy games with my Wacom tablet.  Try it!

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2006, 12:51:23 PM »
Well, I expect alot of 1st year Wii games to be nothing more that Wii-makes, with a couple of exceptions (Red Steel).

GT Pro Series is a Japan only GC game with Wii-mote steering added on and released worldwide.

FarCry is an unreleased GC build again with Wii-controls added on.

So the graphics you will see are GC graphics in most situations...not that the GC is bad, it's not.  But again, this is supposed to be "next-gen".

Most of these games were developed on 729MHz hardware.  No one knows the true speed of the final hardware, I'm guessing a 325MHz GPU and bus with a 975MHz cpu by Miyamoto's statements of "many times faster than a Gamecube" just the other day.

Nintendo is known for releasing better devkits over a console's lifespan...so will see what future Wii games bring to the table.  I for one am happy about the new controls and the fact that pretty much every game will support 16x9 480p.

Regarding 480p...I think it's more of a marketing term rather than a fixed resolution limit.  How can Nintendo release a PAL game in 480p (60fps)when the PAL standard is 576p (50fps)?  Yet most games run at 30fps (frame doubled).
So I definitely see a potential 540p option via a firmware upgrade in the future.  Also, 540p will upscale nicely on a 1080(i/p) capable HDTV.  If the GC could handle "480p" then the Wii should have no problem doing "540p".
Looking at games like Pokemon Battle Revolution coming out in Japan where the ingame characters look like CGI renders, I definitely see potential in games make specifically for the Wii from the ground up.

Offline MskoDestny

• Show only replies by MskoDestny
    • http://www.retrodev.com
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2006, 02:40:59 PM »
So the graphics you will see are GC graphics in most situations...not that the GC is bad, it's not. But again, this is supposed to be "next-gen".

Most of these games were developed on 729MHz hardware. No one knows the true speed of the final hardware, I'm guessing a 325MHz GPU and bus with a 975MHz cpu by Miyamoto's statements of "many times faster than a Gamecube" just the other day.

I wouldn't expect the graphics to get much better. The Gekko gets about 1125 Dhrystone MIPS at 485 MHz. Even if it scaled linearly with clockspeed you'd still end up with only about 2261 MIPS compared with 6400 MIPS for a SINGLE core in the 360 CPU combine that with a GPU that has no support for programmable shaders and you end up with a system that is completely incapable of producing "next-gen" graphics even at 480p. I'm sure there will be some improvement over the current crop of games, but there's no reason to expect any miracles.

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2006, 03:13:31 PM »
Some of you have mentioned the BlueRay capabilities of the PS3. Dont get sucked into buying it because of that. The high deff output of the PS3 will never be as good as a stand alone player and the price has already come down on them since they first came out. By mid next year more companies will have High deff players out and the price will fall. Nintendo put alot of effort into the development of the Wii and the ingenious controller will make games fun to play again. The Wii is also 100% backwards compatible playing all the N-game cube games as well as downloading all the rom games from the N-64 so its got my vote.
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2006, 03:47:07 PM »
Wii is the only console that interest me. The reason is innovation which both the PS3 and Xbox 360 lack. I prefer playability over shiny graphics, which is why i still play some good old classics these days.
I will still wait and see from the sideline before buying it though, as it has yet to be seen if this new controller works in real life.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2006, 04:00:34 PM »

tonyvdb wrote:
Some of you have mentioned the BlueRay capabilities of the PS3. Dont get sucked into buying it because of that. The high deff output of the PS3 will never be as good as a stand alone player and the price has already come down on them since they first came out.

FUD.  Care to quote a reliable source on this?  

...as well as downloading all the rom games from the N-64 so its got my vote.

Incorrect.  At launch there will only be 1 N64 game available, Super Mario 64.  It remains to be seen if people will be willing to re-buy their N64 collection at ~$10 a game.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2006, 04:13:38 PM »
I'm going to spring for a wii, but only after the new Metroid Prime comes out. By then the price will be lower and I won't have to battle the heard to get my hands on one.

The wii graphics will be a good step up from the GC graphics for sure. I know that the 360 and ps3 have a lot more power under the hood but I don't care. If i was all about the graphics power and everything else, I wouldn't even consider a console anyway. The gpus in these new consoles were outdated before the developers even got a preview.

Considering Sonys long standing behavior pattern of treating their customers like cattle, I wouldn't touch the ps3 with a ten foot pole.

I won't have to worry about my wii downrezzing my signal to my tv because the tv didnt have some drm key. Early adoptors of hdtv sets are getting screwed by the content providers and player manufacturers with all this drm crap.

Since Nintendo is making new games that everybody is interested in, this means that I'll get yelled at less by my girlfriend when i pick up the controller, cause she will be playing too.

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #29 from previous page: November 17, 2006, 04:42:04 PM »

adolescent wrote:

FUD.  Care to quote a reliable source on this?  

This has been the case with the X-box and its DVD output as well. The PS3 has no bench test reviews as of yet but it is almost a garentee that it will fall into the "spend alot of time developing the gaming graphics quality, CPU and not enough on the Video output quality" rut.
You dont need to beleave me (I do have alot of knowledge in this field) but you will kick yourself later when you find out. Sony has never had great video output from any of there DVD players in the past so this will most likely be the same (Denon has the best on the market). The laser pickup assembly, motor trasport, power suply transformer quality  and digital prossing all play factors in how good the quality is.
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.