Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: newb questions, hit the hardware or not?  (Read 33061 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: newb questions, hit the hardware or not?
« Reply #149 from previous page: July 21, 2014, 02:16:42 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;769476
I would not have a problem with an interface that provides the *ideal* memory type for such users that want to optimize the throughput, but the overall design principle should be that a device can handle whatever the user provides, regardless of the buffer memory type or the transfer size. Everthing else is just asking for trouble.

I would prefer that you asked for memory that was applicable rather than adding lots of layers which will just slow everything down when you pass the wrong type of ram.

Quote from: Thorham;769442
I know we can go to the moon, and drive remote controllable vehicles around on Mars, so I know that human beings have the ability to pull off some damn difficult things, and that's all I need to know.

Do you know that they spent a lot of money on high level language development so they didn't have to rely on someone writing a complex assembly language for the software for those projects?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:23:01 PM by psxphill »

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;769490
Do you know that they spent a lot of money on high level language development so they didn't have to rely on someone writing a complex assembly language for the software for those projects?
You're missing the point.

All I'm saying is that it's possible to handle a large project in assembly language and get it right. Possible, nothing else. In fact, it probably isn't easy. Large projects aren't easy, and assembly language will obviously not make them any easier. Doesn't mean it's impossible. Difficult != impossible.

Furthermore, 68k development is a hobby. As such, choosing assembly language on a 68k system is something you do because you like working in 68k assembly language, not because it's the least difficult or the fastest to develop in.

guest11527

« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2014, 05:49:47 PM »
I would prefer that you asked for memory that was applicable rather than adding lots of layers which will just slow everything down when you pass the wrong type of ram.

What's better in case of a user failing to allocate the buffer from proper memory? a) slowing down the transfer or b) delivering wrong data and/or crashing the system?

What if that's your credit card data that being transfered?

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2014, 06:05:17 PM »

It more efficient to reuse memory then to allocate memory. So if you have API allocates the memory for you, then you can not reuse the memory, then you will need to free it and reallocate memory using the API.