Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Giddy3 on MorphOS: jumpy scroll  (Read 894 times)

Description:

Offline gaula92Topic starter

• Show only replies by gaula92
Giddy3 on MorphOS: jumpy scroll
« on: October 25, 2009, 02:58:23 PM »
Hello there

I'm testing MorphOS today for the first time in my Mac Mini, and I'm trying to find out if it has the legendary smooth Amiga graphics. So I downloaded this nice free game, and starter playing after installing the latest powerSLD libraries.

I'm using a 60Hz screen mode, and I've configured SDL to use SDL-Screens instead of Ambient screen: that makes tearing deffects dissapear, luckily.

but scroll is al jumpy! What refresh frequency does this game expect for smooth scrolling??
Is Giddy3 a 50HZ game like the previous ones??
Thanks!

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
Re: Giddy3 on MorphOS: jumpy scroll
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »
Quote from: gaula92;527280
Hello there

I'm testing MorphOS today for the first time in my Mac Mini, and I'm trying to find out if it has the legendary smooth Amiga graphics. So I downloaded this nice free game, and starter playing after installing the latest powerSLD libraries.

I'm using a 60Hz screen mode, and I've configured SDL to use SDL-Screens instead of Ambient screen: that makes tearing deffects dissapear, luckily.

but scroll is al jumpy! What refresh frequency does this game expect for smooth scrolling??
Is Giddy3 a 50HZ game like the previous ones??
Thanks!

I think this is more about the coding of the game than about the OS.
Downloaded from here?

Smooth scrolling on the Nintendo Wii

I would guess that the game is coded to be easily portable, and that some optimizations have been done for the Wii port.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline gaula92Topic starter

• Show only replies by gaula92
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 03:37:35 PM »
The game vsyncs well: it's about screen refresh rate. I only need to know what refresh rate the game is expecting for smooth scroll on the MOS port. It's well optimized for that OS, not just the wii.

And I downloaded that same version from a MOS software repo, thanks.

Any other ideas?

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 04:18:19 PM »
Giddy 3's timing is done via a timer which is not tied to the screen refresh rate. It does this so that it always runs at the correct speed. The downside is that it will never be super smooth.

The Wii has the advantage of only ever being 50 or 60Hz (like the old Amiga), so that port uses VSync for perfectly smooth scrolling.

If someone wants to add a vsync mode, get in touch. I don't want to open source Giddy 3, but i'm happy to give interested developers access to the SVN if they agree not to spread the sources.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6