Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: About: Mac on an Amiga  (Read 6269 times)

Description:

Offline ivibozicTopic starter

• Show only replies by ivibozic
About: Mac on an Amiga
« on: February 03, 2005, 11:47:15 PM »
Can anyone tell me (or will it be no one) about the MacIntosh's story? What Motorola runs it, WHAT(?) PowerPC when there were none before the main AOne in the (futurly) use?

Not exactly Amiga topic but most certainly Amiga related and I wanted to make a small effort to bring any further "abovepostings" on the petific subject closed.

I'm openly saying, there's no MacIntosh, much less (hilarious) PowerMac. If otherwise, can someone tell me how does the OS looks like, and why aren't everyone on it instead of this poor {bleep}'s pc?

THX, I hope I haven't been (too..) offensive.

- Ive

P.S.
I'll look at the Cat after I submit this to find out what he thinks of the whole sharaade... ;-)

Offline Turambar

• Show only replies by Turambar
    • http://gentleman-bastards.com/
Re: About: Mac on an Amiga
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 12:07:21 AM »
Nothing better to do eh?

Offline ivibozicTopic starter

• Show only replies by ivibozic
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 12:22:50 AM »

Turambar wrote:
Nothing better to do eh?

Better than writing... No, for the time being no.

-- ive

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 08:38:41 AM »

ivibozic wrote:
Can anyone tell me (or will it be no one) about the MacIntosh's story? What Motorola runs it, WHAT(?) PowerPC when there were none before the main AOne in the (futurly) use?

Not exactly Amiga topic but most certainly Amiga related and I wanted to make a small effort to bring any further "abovepostings" on the petific subject closed.

I'm openly saying, there's no MacIntosh, much less (hilarious) PowerMac. If otherwise, can someone tell me how does the OS looks like, and why aren't everyone on it instead of this poor {bleep}'s pc?

THX, I hope I haven't been (too..) offensive.

- Ive

P.S.
I'll look at the Cat after I submit this to find out what he thinks of the whole sharaade... ;-)

Form plese sentence coherent...

Offline Lemonty

• Show only replies by Lemonty
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 09:16:01 AM »
Get a life.
Respect My Authority!

Offline soldeed

• Show only replies by soldeed
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 09:45:19 AM »
Are you asking about OSX? I'd be happy to tell ya about it! I just happen to use it!
You may not have noticed, but apple has built a completely new operating system from scratch. OSX (X-pronunced"Ten") Is based on UNIX and runs on almost any MAC with a G3 processor or better. It comes with the totally superginchy iLife suite of applications;  itunes, (ipod sold seperately) iphoto,imovie, iDVD, and garage band. go to the Apple OSX site to learn about OSX.  Personally, I find it's pretty much bulletproof.  I surf the net fearlessly with no worries about trojans, worms, virii, spyware.ect.  It's UNIX underpinnings make it more secure against online attacks. You're pretty much secure behind corporate firewalls anyway (which often also run on UNIX (Apache, SUN servers) but If you use a Mac in a public/buisness enviroment, set your Administrator name and password, and never leave your mac unattended logged in.
Sadly I don't believe it's possible to run OSX on an Amiga.  BUT- It may be possible to run Amiga on a mac. That's what I would like to do.
I think If you use Yellow dog linux, you could run Amiga anywhere on top of that. Amiga anywhere does not seem to be available for sale right now. Much cooler would be an OSX port of Amiga OS that would run with OSX the way that the classic Mac enviroment (pre OSX) does.  Frankly it puzzles why there Isn't one. (as far as I know)  Imagine,  just launch the Amiga bouncing ball Icon from the Dock, (which is cool because programs in the dock actually bounce when you launch them) and BAM! there's an Amiga on your MAC desktop!  I was trying to get my dead A1200 ressurected, but I think I'm going to explore the Amiga on Mac route instead. I'm hoping to recover me ol'  Amigas' disk image off the hard drive (which may still work) and run it on my Mac. IMHO that would be awfully cool!   If anyone as used Amiga on a mac  and knows of such things, I would appreciate advice you may wish to share. (particularly of the "I wish I'd known that before" variety.

Offline soldeed

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 10:10:22 AM »
Oh! the processors! I forgot to mention those!
Mac OSX runs on G3 and G4 (Motorola/Freescale) and G5  (IBM) Power PC processors which makes it an ideal Candidate for porting. Amiga OS would run insanely fast on a modern Mac!

Offline beller

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show only replies by beller
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 01:49:02 PM »

Soldeed.....

Thanks for saving me from writing the same post...I'm a Mac user too.  Got interested when I worked on the A-Max project with Readysoft.  I'd love to have that emullator you mentioned.  It would be excellent on my new Mac mini!

Bob

Offline spirantho

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 02:42:47 PM »
I just bought me my first Mac... a Mac Mini. It's a lovely machine. It wipes the floor with PCs. It's small, cheap, very very quiet, comes with good software and runs a nice OS.... what more can you ask for?

However, it's not an Amiga. There will never be a real (i.e. modern) AmigaOS for it because there's no money in relying on commercial host O/Ses... look at BeOS for example. You need to run on dedicated hardware or people will use the hardware for the OS that's meant for it. That's why there's no x86 AmigaOS - everyone would just use Windoze because there's more software for it. Necessity is the mother of invention. Take away the necessity of writing software for the hosted OS, and you get no invention.

MacOS is very nice now, but it's not perfect. It has lovely features (love pressing F9! :) ) and it looks very nice, and it's fast.. but it's a memory hog (1/2Gig minimum), it's a little clunky at times (though only usually when you're out of RAM to be fair), at least compared to AmigaOS. It's a little gargantuan (it's a UNIX system after all). In terms of lean design the AmigaOS wins hands down. In terms of features, the Mac does.

I'd recommend getting a Mac to replace the PC, but not the Amiga... there's still not quite the same element of fun in it somehow! (And don't even begin to think that running UAE on a Mac will replace a modern Amiga - it won't. It just runs a 10-year-old version of AmigaOS a bit slowly. Run an AmigaOne with AmigaOS4 and you'll see what I mean).
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 02:57:35 PM »
-edit-
Hmpf...nevermind

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 03:59:29 PM »
@soldeed

Sadly I don't believe it's possible to run OSX on an Amiga.
-------------------------------------------------------------

What on earth are you talking about?????

AmigaONe can run MacOS X  very nicely through Mac on Linux............I have experienced it and seen it and it runs very very smooth. It also runs on a Pegasos nicley............MacOS X runs almost natively because its the same G3 and G4 PowerPC processors.

So YES.............An AMiga can run MacOS X

And as for classic Amigas, they run MacOS 7.5 upto OS 9 better than they run on a real mac or at least equal to if you have a 68060 and OS 7.5 on a 68030.

I honestly would rather have a Powerfull AMigaONE emulating a Mac, than a Mac emulating an Amiga.

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline soldeed

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 06:30:25 PM »
I'm sure Amiga OS on top of Linux on a mac is kludgy. But what if an Amiga emulator were written as a a native OSX app, or just as a UNIX app? I don't think there's anything stopping anyone writing one. Macs can run OSX and the classic OS9 enviroment at the same time without breathing hard. I can' t imagine a well written native Amiga emulator for the OSX enviroment, being smaller and less demanding than even OS9, would not  get along splendidly on a Mac. Don't tell me there is no demand for it either. Many Mac users (like me!) are former Amiga users and would love to have Amiga in their docks. And the more platforms that run Amiga, the more assured it's survival.  

Offline soldeed

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 06:45:23 PM »
To lierbag28;
OSX can run on Amiga? Well if thats the case, I stand corrected. However I can't understand whats so hard about going the other way. I have a Mac G4 1.25 ghz that I'll be paying for for another 2 years. Not to mention the fact I live in a small apartment without a lot of room for new computers, so I'm not really interested in an Amiga one. I want Amiga on my Mac ported natively so I can play Frontier elite again. Windows and Linux users have that.(Well not them either for the time being-As I mentioned in my original post Amiga anywhere seems not to be available currently. Whats up with that?)

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 07:11:39 PM »
Okay I think there is some confusion here...

History of Amiga Running Mac Software:

Original 68K Mac software ran thru an add-on called A-Max and Emplant.. While called emulators, they shared the SAME CPU as the original Mac (so it was just software that allowed the OS to run).

PowerMacs (using the PowerPC chip) could run on PowerPC based classic Amigas thru software called Fusion or iFusion.

That's thru MacOS version 9.x

OS X represented a change to a Unix style OS with the Mac interface on top of it. Only a couple of generations of previous Macs would run this OS, otherwise you had to buy new mac hardware..

AmigaOne's (which are PowerPC based) will run Mac OS X if the AmigaOne has Linux installed as one of it's OSes.. You run something called "Mac On Linux" to install and run OS X on it..

there is a faq on working with this at:

MacOnLinux:AmigaOne FAQ (MAQ)
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline gnarly

• Show only replies by gnarly
    • http://thinkdrastic.net/
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 07:37:53 PM »
@soldeed

I think you probably can run Frontier on your Mac - through the wonder of E-UAE. Check out http://www.rcdrummond.net/uae/
Cheers,

Olly
Think Drastic