Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can't Run "Tools" in OS3.9 BB4  (Read 407 times)

Description:

Offline punkyclownTopic starter

• Show only replies by punkyclown
Can't Run "Tools" in OS3.9 BB4
« on: August 31, 2015, 12:35:46 AM »
Hi, I was loading some programs to my hard drive, Photogentics, PPaint, ImageFX, and now I have lost the ability to open some Tools, EditPad, and Unarc.  EditPad says it needs Scroll.gadget version 44,(I'm running 45.2) Unarc says it needs resource.library version 44, which I am running.  So what it the issue, something to do with Path, or VincEd, KingCon?

Need some direction.

Thanks

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Can't Run "Tools" in OS3.9 BB4
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 01:46:34 AM »
Quote from: punkyclown;794752
Hi, I was loading some programs to my hard drive, Photogentics, PPaint, ImageFX, and now I have lost the ability to open some Tools, EditPad, and Unarc.  EditPad says it needs Scroll.gadget version 44,(I'm running 45.2) Unarc says it needs resource.library version 44, which I am running.  So what it the issue, something to do with Path, or VincEd, KingCon?

Need some direction.

Thanks

PPaint, EditPad, Unarc, etc., all should work fine under BB4.  What is the exact error message you're receiving?  Is it the same message for all programs, or a different message?  Sounds like a path issue, just off-hand.  Maybe something wonky with your assign to Libs:, perhaps?

Did these tools work previously and all of a sudden stop working?  Work your way backward - what's the last changes you've made to the system?

Edit: Post a copy of your Startup-Sequence and User-Startup if you can.  Chances are one of these programs you installed made a few changes, just need to narrow down which one.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 02:10:13 AM by Oldsmobile_Mike »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 03:26:40 AM »
I expect one of your primary ClassAct/ReAction classes got clobbered by an older version. This was also a common occurrence when installing certain versions of AWeb. I can't remember exactly which library it is, but if you search the forums it should turn up. Restore the library from backup (or the 3.9 CD or BB2 or wherever) and you should be good to go!

EDIT: Some insight here. :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:30:05 AM by Matt_H »

Offline mechy

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 03:29:04 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;794760
I expect one of your primary ClassAct/ReAction classes got clobbered by an older version. This was also a common occurrence when installing certain versions of AWeb. I can't remember exactly which library it is, but if you search the forums it should turn up. Restore the library from backup (or the 3.9 CD or BB2 or wherever) and you should be good to go!

i seem to recall imagefx installs overwriting picture.datatype or some such..might be my bad memory :D

i think you are right about the classes.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:31:10 AM by mechy »

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 03:29:42 AM »
Yes, everything was running fine, until I installed PPaint which was the last program
I installed.  The error message is the same but with different calls, EditPad says "Cannot open
gadgets/scroller.gadget version 44" and Unarc says "Cannot open resource.library, version 44"
Trying to connect to the net to upload my "startup sequences" now Genisis says "Cannot open
resource.library version 1". So I am unable to upload that info.  What if I just Re-installed BB3&4.
Do you think that would replace the path and other important info?

Thanks

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 04:29:33 AM »
What version of PPaint and where did you get it?  AFAIR when I installed the latest version a couple months ago, there was no install necessary - just drag & drop the application into my "Graphics" partition.

Reinstalling the Boing Bags might help, or it might make it worse, or it might do nothing at all, since off-hand I don't know if scroller.gadget and resource.library are even part of the updates.  I'd go with what Matt_H says - find the correct versions of these files (they may be in one of the various Boing Bag updates, or on your OS3.9 CD) and replace them from there.  Just make copious use of the version command to see what you have, first!  :)

Edit: browse the archive where you installed PPaint from.  See what libraries/classes/etc. it contains, that's probably what it replaced.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:33:53 AM by Oldsmobile_Mike »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

guest11527

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 09:51:12 AM »
In cases like this it is usually a good idea to install SnoopDos and see what is going on. The console, for example, is surely not related to this. It rather seems that you probably have one (or more) directories in LIBS:, and that apparently the programs open the wrong version of some of the libraries, where ever these may come from.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 10:04:02 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;794765
Off-hand I don't know if scroller.gadget and resource.library are even part of the updates.

No, they are not part of the BB3&4 update.

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 09:58:44 PM »
Many thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.  I reinstalled everything.  OS3.9 and all the Boingbags.  Back up and running fine.
Cheers

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 10:10:19 PM »
Quote from: punkyclown;794803
Many thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.  I reinstalled everything.  OS3.9 and all the Boingbags.  Back up and running fine.

Ah, the nuclear option.  Probably overkill, but glad you got it working!  :D