Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org Exclusive Interview with the CEO of CommodoreUSA  (Read 18387 times)

Description:

Offline juga

• Show only replies by juga
Re: Amiga.org Exclusive Interview with the CEO of CommodoreUSA
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 10:36:47 PM »
Hi, It would be interesting to know your opinion about the FPGA projects that are recreating the old 8-bit and 16-bit machines on hardware FPGA emulation.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 10:59:13 PM »
#1:  Why is it taking you so long to bring to market range of computers made from pre-existing cases with a pre-existing motherboards running a pre-existing OS?

#2:  Who does your photoshop work and why haven't you fired him.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 11:05:31 PM »
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?

(So the world may know......)
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline number6

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 11:27:31 PM »
Quote from: Methuselas;686668
(So the world may know......)

So, you learned your lesson about making business proposals to "them"? Heh.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 11:31:43 PM »
Quote from: number6;686673
So, you learned your lesson about making business proposals to "them"? Heh.

:lol:
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Rob

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 11:40:12 PM »
Having acquired a license to use the Commodore name to sell common x86 hardware what made you decide to buy a license for the Amiga name to do exactly the same thing?

Do you think the Amiga license represents value for money in terms of additional media coverage and custom over the attention that the Commodore name has brought to your business.

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 11:49:27 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;686646
I didn't see this post going over well.

In other forums and on Facebook I hear people talking about how they are starting to hate this site because of all the CUSA related posts.

Facebook already?... hopefully not Twitter too, then TMZ then finally locally to Deco Drive

Offline TiredOLife

• Show only replies by TiredOLife
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 11:56:35 PM »
For those people who are not excited by a linux pc, will you genuinely have something of interest for them?

If so, what and when?

Thanks

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
1) Would you consider some non-x86 HW, like the upcoming Efika i.MX6 from Genesi?

2) Do you feel at liberty to sell products with AROS bundled, in products branded Amiga? 2b) Or sell products to re-distributors who bundles the HW with AROS?

3) If I understood things right, You have put up an idea of third party system builders can buy a branded case (of your selection) from you and build whatever custom combination of HW inside it, for their local marke? Is that correct? 3b) Can this be "turned around", i.e. say that I already have a product using a cool custom case I have had designed, can you allow branding on those for a fee?

4) Could you describe exactly how the legal situation stands regarding the brand names (Commodore, Amiga, with associated marks like "Boing Ball" etc), and licenses and ownership's thereof?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline kolla

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 12:12:32 AM »
The rainbow coloured ticker has huge appeal in the gay communities, I know this first... hand... after visiting bars and nightclubs in Amsterdam and San Francisco, wearing nothing but a... wearing a dark purple T-shirt with huge Amiga ticker on the chest. Are you considering the market appeal for "Amiga" and rainbow ticker in the LGBT communities?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 12:56:15 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;686616
To each his own, but Im not sure droning on the current "amiga" options is worthwhile. To my knowledge theyre not legally allowed to offer an amiga style os.

In fact they are not allowed to do so under current Amiga Inc licence but can extend their rights in new contracts with Hyperion, MorphOS team etc.

Since they have claimed they have tried to do so, question is what plans and offers CUSA had when (unsucessfully?) approached Hyperion, AROS and/or MorphOS team
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 02:15:44 AM »
Here are my questions:-

1. How much did you pay Amiga Inc. for the rights to use the Amiga name on your computers?

2. Do you pay Amiga Inc. a licensing fee for each machine sold, or was it a single lump sum payment, or a combination of both?

3. Do you think the fee (whatever that may have been) you paid Amiga Inc. for the name was worth it financially?  

4. Why do you think there is so much animosity towards CUSA from people in the Amiga community, and does it bother you?

Offline RobertB

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by RobertB
    • http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 02:35:28 AM »
Dear Mr. Altman,

What is your company doing to support the Commodore and Amiga scene?  For example, on March 7, I received an e-mail from Leo Nigro, Chief Technology Officer of Commodore USA, who sent an inquiry of your company's involvement in the Commodore Vegas Expo.  I immediately sent a reply, saying that we are open to what you have to offer.  To this date, I have not had any further response from your company.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
organizer - Commodore Vegas Expo v8
http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 03:35:39 AM »
Quote from: RobertB;686711
Dear Mr. Altman,

What is your company doing to support the Commodore and Amiga scene?  For example, on March 7, I received an e-mail from Leo Nigro, Chief Technology Officer of Commodore USA, who sent an inquiry of your company's involvement in the Commodore Vegas Expo.  I immediately sent a reply, saying that we are open to what you have to offer.  To this date, I have not had any further response from your company.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
organizer - Commodore Vegas Expo v8
http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

I think you misunderstood Leo's email.  He was actually sending you a bill for using the word "Commodore" without permission.  You're waiting for a reply, Barry is waiting for a cheque.  ;)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Larious

• Show only replies by Larious
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 04:23:20 AM »
Questions I don't think have been asked yet (although I'm probably wrong);

Classic Amiga systems such as A2000, A3000 and A4000 all came with keyboards and mice. Is there a line of Commodore / Amiga mice and keyboards being designed/produced which will complement the current range of Mini computers?

The current choice of OS bundled with CUSA systems is COS, a modified version of Linux Mint. Many Amiga purists are wanting a more traditional style OS more aligned with the classic Amiga OS. If the choice is to continue to use Linux as the platform, have you considered adopting the Amiga styled Window Manager amiWM which although is quite limited in its current form, would at least give users a traditional look and feel of Workbench?

If not, are there plans to bring out a customized (Workbench style) GUI like what Apple have done with BSD and custom GUI?

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #44 from previous page: April 03, 2012, 04:43:29 AM »
It's ad nauseam not ad nauseum.

Please get your latin right before trying to look clever.

Hey be nice! Even though he is a "ceo" or a company with a 30 million dollar advertising budget... he couldn't afford word or a spellchecker because he's spending millions on product development!

I have questions that you will most likely dodge, He claims he will answer all questions, but trust me, he will dodge many of them.

But hey, I'll ask them anyway.

1) What happened to the hundreds or thousands of c64x's you claimed you were shipping to big box retails stores that never happened. Why?

2) Why did you illegally steal footage from a disney movie (TRON) to make ads for your company?

3) Why did you claim that ads would be on television, when they never made it anywhere but on youtube?

4) What happened to those 25,000$ workstation amigas you once bragged about? More vaporware?

5) You continually posture like your a "company" and have resources you have commited to this. Why do you make mistakes my 12 year old nephew who just started building his own pcs would not make?  Like not putting a proper fan in the c64x or giving this amiga mini too small a power supply?

6) Why do you delete posts that are critical or your products on your "forum"?

7) Why did you steal text from apples website on one of your earlier websites?

8) Why do you have a "chief technical officer" if no actually technology is being developed? My 12 year old nephew can replace that guy if all your going to do is build pc's and slap commodore or amiga stickers/engravings on the cases. Why don't you get someone who knows what they are doing instead of that clown?

9) Why don't you grow a set of balls and support AROS?

10) If someone really wants a commodore or amiga branded pc, why should someone pay 3x as much as the parts cost to get it from you instead of making their own stickers?

11) Why do you maintain so many shill accounts on a.org and elsewhere to defend your company? Why don't you just grow set of balls and post yourself and stop hiding behind fake users?

12) Do your parents know your running a computer empire out of their basement?

13) Are you ever going to do anything more than the least possible work you can? It takes balls, heart, money and devotion to actually develop an OS, or develop NEW computer tech. Any monkey can slap a sticker over an existing product. In my view this is all you have done is what 2.5 years now? When are you going to do something more than the least possible work you can possible do? When will you actually contribute something to the legacy your attempting to live off of?

14) Why don't you give me an amiga mini to give an honest review on. I will cover its use with windows, COS, AROS,linux, mint, amithlon and more.
Why NOT have someone give real reviews on these machines instead of just getting fluff stories that are largely just mocking this thing?

15) Why don't you grow some balls and defend your use of linux instead of acting like it was the second prize choice? Why don't you tell us what steps are being taken to make it a more customized and amiga like experience?

16) What happened to your 30 million dollar advertising budget. Does it cost 30 million dollars now to self edit a few videos to cheesy production music that costs 20$ per track and upload the view to youtube? You claimed you had a 30 million dollar advertising budget. All we've seen is a mention on a dvd and some youtube videos that were made at home.

Now remember, You said you'd answer every question, so I challenge you to honestly answer these.

Get out the popcorn, this out to be good...

Steven
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:45:37 AM by haywirepc »