Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org Exclusive Interview with the CEO of CommodoreUSA  (Read 18543 times)

Description:

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
Re: Amiga.org Exclusive Interview with the CEO of CommodoreUSA
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »
Q1 Why are you putting Amiga logo on HTPC cases, where are the Amiga look-a-like cases?

Q2 Why are you not doing the only sensible option of funding PowerPC 604 CPU emulation core for WinUAE option so Amiga OS4 could be run on your generic cobbled together medium power PC compatible?

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »
Wow Steven, thats just too funny.

So, Mr. Altman, I have a few q's for you good chap:

1. Whats the point of using the Amiga nameplate on something not even resembling an Amiga product? We aren't naive enough to take  such bait, and frankly, it is very insulting
2. What percentage of markup do you apply to your off the shelf components, it seems dreadfully high?
3. Why did you back out of your deal with AROS? Even though I myself dislike AROS it seems like a shoot-yourself-in-the-arse move for you.

Final one is a piece of advice I would like to suggest to you. First off, apologize to all the developers of OS4, MOS etc. who you accuse of illegal activity, as you yourself do not have the legal basis to enforce this. Second of all, you should come up with some solution to make your products distinctive/competitive. One thing to try would be to use off the shelf ARM, X86 or PowerPC components and manufacture an ATX or Mini-ITX formfactor board which you then stuff into a case reminiscent of some Amiga product (I'd suggest the A500 or A3000, for its looks.) One idea would be to go out on a further limb and make a system that uses a simple off the shelf CPU, a GPU, a DMA controller chip, a DSP chip, a sound chip and some extra logic chips, and then market it as a Media Center system. There are ways to skin existing OSes into easier to use interfaces.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline Middleman

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Middleman
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2012, 07:30:39 PM »
Quote from: vox;686788
Off course x86 and ARM are viable targets offering best price/performance ratio and wide userbase. However, as independent IT pro (meaning not employed or paid by C=USA) how do you rate "goods" and "innovation": only new thing is the C64x case. Rest is available at much lower prices from any OEM rebrander, Linux of your choice and Amiga Forever.

Yes indeed....x86 and ARM is strong contenders. Leo has I believe mentioned before about possibly using ARM chips for a future Amiga (and AmigaOS can be easily ported to ARM) - so yes personally I think all kinds of things are possible if the right parties are contacted. But this depends obviously on CUSA's decision about what they plan to do.

As to the value of their current machines, yes I think they are pretty good value for money especially the C64x, barebones and the lower end AIO systems like the Vic Slim. The new Amiga Mini - while has good spec for the size (it uses more powerful Intel Desktop quadcore chip instead of mobile chip in the Mac Mini) original pricing @ $2495 I felt for sure at first was a bit steep. It is now better at $1495 with the base Intel Core i3 configuration, and $1995 for the top i7 with 16GB) after the public outcry - but historically speaking as a brand it always has been (expensive)! According to Oldcomputers.net the original A1000 when it first came out cost $1295 without a monitor which at todays prices work out roughly as $2590. The new machine costs far less than that, is far smaller and is packed to the brim with tech, to cater to a generation now used to doing things in HD. I can't imagine a better and nicer way to revive the brand. Ok it looks a lot like a Mac Mini I admit (love or loath), but its a compact & cute design and a great way to re-envision the brand as it were. This is just the start I've been told...there are more things to come like the new desktop series....

About their product quality, well in my early days there were some niggles I had had experienced with my C64x Ultimate like the keyboard finish, heat from the CPU and so forth. I have mentioned these on the CUSA forum before (you can go and read them) - but those issues have been solved now for me - my machine is now working fine. The newer machines are cooler/have more fans for ventilation, are better specced than mine now (with USB 3.0 standard on the C64x Supreme). They are generally good computers to use, especially if you love using the clicky Cherry Blue keyboards. I can't imagine a more novel (and memorable) way of running Linux, Windows or C64 Basic.

Which brings me to the future hardware and software...

There is little hope in bright Amigan future with current no development high profit C=USA policy - they don`t really develop anything new.

Well I wouldn't say it like that...there is more hope for the future than you think.

Both Barry & Leo have mentioned before that they have seriously considered (and are still considering) creating an all-new custom or replica AIO Amiga keyboard casing. The question whether they are planning to go ahead with it is mostly to do with the mould quality, or specifically the yields they are getting from the production run. There are a lot of issues to consider in making the moulds because it has to be absolutely perfect as it is a costly process as moulds cannot be used after a run of so many thousands (their experience of making the C64x moulds has taught them this). I have to remind you that CUSA is not the CBM of old with tonnes of money to spend. Like any other small-medium sized profit-based company they have to carefully consider their investment options as to whether it is worthwhile to make certain products, and balance this with a cost and price point that is fair and acceptable to us, the public. If it is too costly they have a right not to consider it. And they shouldn't if it is...

The question for Leo is:
Does C=USA have plan to DEVELOP any new hardware or software or to licence (outsource) any h/w or s/w development and if yes, what?

As far as I know, CUSA is planning some work on software (AFAIK). Leo & Dammy has stated that they plan to bring an online store soon for Commodore OS that will allow users to purchase/download classic Commodore apps and games online (as D64/ADF files perhaps?) sometime in the future - so expect it to be Commodore-themed for the retro geek.

Offline mailman

• Show only replies by mailman
    • http://www.ppa.pl
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2012, 08:25:20 PM »
Next batch

1. What is the capital of your company? What does the ownership structure look like? What are company's incomes and costs? Does the company have any loans taken?
2. What are the company's expectations from the market? What sales number do you expect?
3. Do you have plans for selling the system in Africa? If no, why?
4. How many employees does the company plan to hire this year? Where is a real registration place for your main company (mother company)?
5. Who is supposed to be strategic investor? Where does the production take place? What part of the production will be made/is made outside of Asia (percentage of the final product)?
6. Why did you choose that kind of Amiga vision? Don't you afraid that you may end up like airline companies that were trying to make use of the well-known brand "Panam"?
7. Why don't you cooperate with Yoz Montana in the matter of Amiga cases which are modern, original and have some retro feeling?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:06:57 AM by mailman »

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2012, 08:27:22 PM »
Quote from: Middleman;686836
As far as I know, CUSA is planning some work on software (AFAIK). Leo & Dammy has stated that they plan to bring an online store soon for Commodore OS that will allow users to purchase/download classic Commodore apps and games online (as D64/ADF files perhaps?) sometime in the future - so expect it to be Commodore-themed for the retro geek.

A lot was promised, but what is to be believed is just what was delivered: C64x case. And as you have experienced, a lot of unprofessionalism was displayed not only on the community communication side, but even in the hardware choices itself. Licence for Amiga computer was also for All In One computer, but yet it will not be it in despite of Mac Mini factor.
Calling C=USA products good price/performance x86 ratio you should really check what you can build on your own, higher quality components, better performance and money for some pro apps is guaranteed.

If above anything else, C=USA products are to survive in x86 competative world Barry and Leo should do some estimation
of how many e.g. i7 boards they can sell as C64x ultimate, VIC Pro, Amiga Mini, whatever they decide and buy them
from manufacturers, making profit out of difference to retail sale, not such extreme. They dig their own grave with pricing
trying to present their products as different, while they are not (excluding C64x in outside look)

Online store is website, not really a new software in classic sense of it, just another easy source of profit since Amiga games are quite abandonware by now. Lots of them can be legally downloaded already for no price. Again, its repeating the same policy of as less possible investment, illusion of CBM, maximazing the profit while developing nothing new.

Back on topic, question is:
Why the price of C=USA branded hardware is not lowered by contracting manufacturers? This kind of prices looks like
reselling small end user priced quantities + C=USA costs and idea of profit = extreme low price/performance ratio
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:33:30 PM by vox »
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline WotTheFook

• Show only replies by WotTheFook
    • http://www.amibay.com
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2012, 09:35:12 PM »
Hi Barry,

1. Do you regret starting this thread now?

2. Have you figured out yet that most of the community have worked out the BOM of your products and hence your profit margins?

3. When are you finally going to stop trying to sell smoke and mirrors to a community that is sick to the back teeth of broken promises?

4. Will you accept 10p, a marble and some pocket lint for your company when it inevitably crashes? (Remember this offer, it's a solid and fair one...)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:51:53 PM by WotTheFook »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2012, 09:48:45 PM »
As to the value of their current machines, yes I think they are pretty good value for money especially the C64x, barebones and the lower end AIO systems like the Vic Slim. The new Amiga Mini - while has good spec for the size (it uses more powerful Intel Desktop quadcore chip instead of mobile chip in the Mac Mini) original pricing @ $2495 I felt for sure at first was a bit steep. It is now better at $1495 with the base Intel Core i3 configuration, and $1995 for the top i7 with 16GB) after the public outcry - but historically speaking as a brand it always has been (expensive)! According to Oldcomputers.net the original A1000 when it first came out cost $1295 without a monitor which at todays prices work out roughly as $2590. The new machine costs far less than that, is far smaller and is packed to the brim with tech, to cater to a generation now used to doing things in HD.
This debate should probably be split into another thread, but so long as it's here: that is completely ridiculous and utterly false. Various members here have assembled complete systems equivalent to the "Amiga Mini" $1995 configuration (a.k.a. the one that was originally $2495) for roughly $900-1100 - anywhere from 81% to 177% markup! With the $1495 base configuration? You can buy a Mac Mini with an i5 and an equal amount of RAM for half that, and that's at Apple prices.

Comparing the Amiga 1000 to modern computers is ridiculous on the face of it, but let's take that assumption and run with it, just for fun. The A1000 came with a reasonable amount of RAM and a very capable CPU for its time, and featured a chipset that was not simply top-of-the-line for a personal computer in 1985, it redefined the top of the line. $1295 was also not that expensive by the standards of the day, especially for what it provided - the roughly-contemporary IBM 5170 went for multiple times that and offered only a 6MHz 286 (deliberately gimped by the addition of a wait-state to the memory so it wouldn't impact sales of their high-end business machines,) a similar amount of RAM, a Hercules monochrome card, and only the PC speaker for sound. (The only obvious advantage it had was a 20MB hard drive.) The high-end configuration cost an astonishing $5795 - and that's in 1986 dollars! (And like the A1000, it did not include a monitor.)

So if we want to look at it like that, the Amiga 1000 blew away machines costing three to four times as much, had an infinitely better operating system, and set the standard for personal computer A/V capabilities for years to come. The "Amiga Mini?" In its high-end configuration it has a capable CPU, a large amount of RAM, and a sizeable hard drive. It's also yoked to an entry-level GPU from two years ago and has a PSU that can't possibly power the whole thing, and it costs something close to twice what an equally-specced system can be had for. The operating system is a lightly-customized version of a free commodity operating system that brings absolutely nothing new to the table, and the primary achievement of which is making a 1970s mainframe OS into a usable desktop OS. The "budget" $1495 configuration is a middling laptop in an HTPC case - again, probably more than twice the typical cost of such a system.

"Value for money," my ass.

Quote from: Middleman;686724
For those who believe I only like modern  machines, well I like the classic ones too. My personal opinion about  the future of Amiga is that I actually I believe if the brand can be  rebooted, it can exist as two formats - one as a Classic platform ie.  PPC/Power7/Natami, and one as a Future platform ie. x86. Why does people  always have to insist a modern Amiga CANNOT be an x86? x86 is the  platform which has everything a new Amiga needs ie. Ivy Bridge,  Thunderbolt, 3D etc. If implemented properly with the right  customization of system and OS, it CAN be the machine we've always  wanted and more. This is why I have, as an independent IT user of over  30 years computing experience, been following and supporting CUSA for  the past year....because I believe they will come up with the goods. But  my view is, the community has to be realistic with what can be  approached from a production perspective. They have to consider whatever  designs/options will be made into new gear, that it can be recreated  and sustained by modern manufacturing methods AND somehow is able to  supported by a strong software development community. Unfortunately at  the moment the Amiga community is no Apple community. But with genuine  support from all perhaps we will eventually get there…wherever 'there'  might be….
This is utter pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking. CUSA has revealed no  plans to do anything like this at any point in the future; their only  concession to people who aren't happy with commodity PC hardware being  labeled as "Amiga" is to send Leo out to make soothing noises and say  "we'll see what happens as things develop." You talk and talk about  "eventually getting there" if we all just button our lips and pitch in without question,  but you admit yourself that you have no idea where "there" is. People  aren't going to throw money at a company that has revealed no plans  they'd be at all interested in on the off chance that it might change  its mind.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:03:56 PM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline asymetrix

• Show only replies by asymetrix
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2012, 11:19:59 PM »
What is your vision for next few years, in relation to the use of Amiga apps or AmigaOS 3/4 in you products.

Do you think not using AmigaOS as default in your own systems, as your doing is conflicting to having Amiga only sales goal ?

Do you see your company as an Amiga retailer ?

What discussions, agreements have been made with Amiga Inc / Bill M ? Any involvement with them ?

What discussions, agreements have been made with Hyperion ? Any involvement with them ?

What discussions, agreements have been made with Genesi / BB ? Any involvement with them ?

How does what you doing improve the Amiga platform ?

How should the Amiga community welcome you and your company, giving past relations / history ?

What sweeteners do you have for people with bitter taste in their mouths  - so to speak ?

Offline warpdesign

• Show only replies by warpdesign
    • http://www.warpdesign.fr
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2012, 11:33:04 PM »
Offtopic removed
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:42:30 AM by SysAdmin »

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2012, 12:07:56 AM »
I apologize if what I say below sounds negative.  But after literally years of asking questions and getting no answers, it needs to be said.  Some of us have asked polite questions on C-USA forums and elsewhere, in true interest in wanting more info on their products as buyers.  We either were insulted for it, or we had our threads removed entirely.  A blogger criticized them, he was slandered and called a homosexual, among other things, so you'll have to forgive me for being doubting on this go around.  I'd love to submit some questions, but I've been asking them politely for a few years now and they have never been answered, so I'm not about to waste my time with it again.  My recent questions regarding a 120 watt PSU in a machine that will draw triple that went entirely ignored everywhere I posted it.

Mark my words - this "interview" is either simply not going to happen, or if it does it will be so convoluted and scripted feeling it won't be worth reading/listening to. You are asking for a sheet of questions in advance, but stating that nothing is off the table.  Do it live.  No advanced questions.

This is pretty much a given that it'll be a sham, a glad handing speech of quasi PR antics.  There is absolutely nothing compatible with the conflicting statement of the below:

"Please send over the questions. Include every possible topic you want. I will answer EVERY question submitted, no exceptions, and absolutely nothing is off the table. In fact, if you happen to leave off a few that you think might be too controversial, I'll throw in a few that will finally address every possible issue that has been discussed and dissected ad nauseum over the past two years."

Having questions given in advance, allowing for retorts to be crafted in lieu of actually answering the questions of the top of ones head.

If "nothing was off the table", go on Amiga Round Table.  Live.  Live as live gets.  No questions in advance.  Get Rich to host/stream it all live, even if it means doing it as a G+ meetup or chatroom interview.  You answer the questions live, as they come in, not with an advanced list of what said questions will be.  No advance questions lists - you shouldn't need that if every question is fair game, no?

C-USA, you don't owe us any answers.  Really.  Even if you answered everyone's questions 110% to their individual liking, there are still some people that simply can't forget your previous actions and your treatment of the community.  Me?  Your products aren't for me.  I'm fine with that, and nothing you could say or do interests me about a PC running Linux in a etched case that is priced at 2x what I could build it for, cost wise.  However, I'm not your target market.  I'm sure we're both fine with that.

This is not high theater, or a political debate where you have to win us over.  For the most part no one here gives a darn about anyone addressing topics in which some seem to feel our worlds rotate around - see the "In fact, if you happen to leave off a few that you think might be too controversial, I'll throw in a few that will finally address every possible issue that has been discussed and dissected ad nauseum over the past two years."" comment.

Offline vox

« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2012, 12:13:33 AM »
I have to remind you that CUSA is not the CBM of old with tonnes of money to spend. Like any other small-medium sized profit-based company they have to carefully consider their investment options as to whether it is worthwhile to make certain products, and balance this with a cost and price point that is fair and acceptable to us, the public. If it is too costly they have a right not to consider it. And they shouldn't if it is...

Surely, small to medium business with big representation. Hower A1200 look a like was promoted from very first ("scatchy") website and mentioned in licence purchase. Playing on MacMini is just lucky opportunity that it needs laser touch.

They should keep better relations with Loriano to have nice A500 like cases, and next thing the community project might be some existing PowerPC board (that runs AmigaOS,AROS,Linux or MorphOS, AROS and Linux) + such case + laser engravement. Not much more effort would be expected if 500 people prepaid it. But the name would be Commodore Amiga 1200X.

Triple boot was promised from first BigAussies videos with earlybird Phoenix.

Surely small company can`t do much, but they could outsource job to someone. Like Linux Mint boys to maintain their distro up to date, and support various "Amiga" boards worldwide any time soon  :-)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:15:40 AM by vox »
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2012, 12:17:08 AM »
Quote from: Duce;686878
Mark my words - this "interview" is either simply not going to happen, or if it does it will be so convoluted and scripted feeling it won't be worth reading/listening to. You are asking for a sheet of questions in advance, but stating that nothing is off the table.  Do it live.  No advanced questions.
It won't happen, he's going to weasel out of it. But better that he publically weasel out of answering a thread full of honest, hard questions posed by the whole community than get to fulfill his claim by handling a thread with a half-dozen softballs and leading questions by CUSA's few True Believers who only want to give him a platform to blare more self-aggrandizing Five-Year Plans from.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline vox

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2012, 12:19:14 AM »
Double Duce`s post  and add a bit of British style humor:

SinclairUK news

Introducing the new Sinclair QL mini

Real image, not photoshopped
SinclairUK are proud to announce the immediate availability of the first Sinclair QL computer in about a billion years or something, the QL mini.  We did intend to launch yesterday but feared that it may be seen as an april fool joke and not an actual real product so delayed for 24 hours.

The new Sinclair QL mini is the only computer with comparable specs in it's price range, no other computer comes close and no other computer at any price allows you to do so much with an official Sinclair sticker on the front.

The new QL mini is only available in traditional Sinclair kit form as it reduces the cost to the consumer and to save you even more money we have decided that you would be better off sourcing the parts yourself as it means we don't need to pay for a huge warehouse to store everything, therefore passing the savings on to you.

To obtain your new Sinclair QL mini please follow these instructions.

1,  Purchase these parts from your favourite vendor.
* ZOTAC Z68ITX-B-E
* intel core i7 2600K 3.5GHz
* 1TB SATA hard drive
* 2 x 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMMs
* intel mini-PCIe wireless card
* wesena HTPC ITX2 case
*Sinclair Badge for the front of the case (only available from SinclairUK for just £1000+VAT)

2, Assemble all the parts, training courses should be available in your area if you don't know where to start.

3, Send the receipts for the parts you purchased to SinclairUK so we can verify that your new computer meets the QL standards.

Once all these steps are completed, you have affixed the Sinclair sticker to your case (this is the most important part) and installed Sinclair OS you will now be the proud owner of a brand new Sinclair QL mini, the greatest mini desktop computer with a Sinclair badge available today.

You will receive a Sinclair UK welcome pack containing warranty information (only covers sticker peeling) and a CD-R disc containing a couple of emulators we downloaded.

Why buy a bog standard PC that doesn't say Sinclair on it when you can have a Sinclair QL mini that does.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:28:21 AM by vox »

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2012, 12:40:53 AM »
Please keep your questions professional and not slanderous. Off topic or trolling questions will be removed. Barry is taking time out of his valuable day to do this interview so don't waste his time on substandard questions.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2012, 12:45:38 AM »
" Barry is taking time out of his valuable day"

Well now that he's moved on from vinyl stickers to engraving cases, he should have lots of free time, if they hired an engraver like they say. Hundreds of hours he used to spend printing stickers are now free.

He said he would answer any and all questions...

He better start typing up excuses, half truths and embellishments of the truth right away, there is an awful lot of questions already... When is he supposed to start answering them?

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #74 from previous page: April 04, 2012, 12:48:56 AM »
I was not trolling, nor spreading slander, Transition.  The claims of abuse, the instances of dodged questions, etc. can all be confirmed by anyone that's read these forums even once.

Anything I said, any claims I made against C-USA are well known.  Not a word of a lie, and any concerns I made about such an "interview" actually being anything more than a dog and pony show are something a number of people are also concerned about in this little scripted affair.

I don't think it was too much to suggest that if all questions are fair game that he consider going on ART in a live fashion, assuming Rich is up for that.  I suggested that because I love ART mainly, not to mention there's a hell of a lot of credibility involved in doing a "no holds barred" interview when there's not actually a script being provided.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:52:07 AM by Duce »