Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recapping questions  (Read 2518 times)

Description:

Offline Acill

Re: Recapping questions
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 16, 2017, 02:19:24 AM »
Quote from: Whaka;822248
tantalum can explode as electrolytic can too... they are wildly used now, and some amiga extension card use them for more than 20 years now without any problems (CV64 - 64/3D, blizzard, cyberstorm... for exemple)
tantalum is an old technology, late 70's early 80's...

And they were designed with them. I refuse to not use the components the circuit was engineered to use. If you want better you use higher spec parts,  not different parts than intended.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline Whaka

• Show only replies by Whaka
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 02:27:22 AM »
they were designed with, yes. they should have put classic aluminium instead to reduce costs. they did this choice because they wanted durability.

you can replace without any problem aluminium electrolytic by tantalum. the major difference is... price.
tantalum are best than aluminium on every aspect. they could work at higher temperature (125°C) without reducing lifespan. they have less leaking current, more precision in capacity, ect...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:30:50 AM by Whaka »

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 04:08:29 AM »
(shrugs) Any type of component or capacitor can fail.

Typically A500s, A2000s fail less, but no component lasts forever.

The thing with capacitors is, they can go bad on you, and you don't even notice.

Other times you certainly do. My Rev1B A1200 is looking quite healthy so far but it's early days yet, the keyboard is half dead at least, but I have the means to bypass that little issue... :)
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline blanghorstTopic starter

• Show only replies by blanghorst
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 02:12:56 PM »
Thanks guys!  Acill, I'll send you a message in the next couple of days.
Amiga 2000 | GVP 68030 w/ 8 MB RAM | A2091 w/ 52 MB hard drive | Dual floppy drives

Amiga 3000 | 68030 @ 25 Mhz | 18 MB RAM | 3.2 GB SCSI hard drive

Vic 20 w/C2N datassette (trying to find it!)
C-64 w/ 1541 drive
C-128 w/ 1571 drive

Offline asrael22

• Show only replies by asrael22
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 02:24:25 PM »
Hi.

So, I think it hasn't been explicitly mentioned.
Do PSU's need recapping? I'm mostly interested in A500/A600/A1200 PSUs.

Manfred

Offline RetroPassion

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 03:40:45 PM »
I have done an FAQ re reapping that may answer some of the questions:-)

https://www.amigapassion.co.uk/recapping-faqs/

Steve
Offering complete Amiga recapping  services including add-ons, mods. We also cater for other makes and models of consoles and computers.

Offline thebajaguy

• Show only replies by thebajaguy
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 11:15:55 PM »
From personal experience, it is a good idea to do the GVP Spectrum 28/24 boards' caps.  Particularly the two (typically yellow) parts below the clock part, to the right of the unused ROM socket.  I know of two instances where they fried (one was mine).  Replacing them with high quality SMD Hybrid Electrolytic is sufficient.  They are for digital noise filtering.

GVP's earlier boards used TH electrolytic axial caps for noise filtering, and they don't seem to have any issues.  The mini TH ceramics by each TTL IC are no issue, nor are the similar SMD mini ceramics on the later boards near TTL chips.  The later SMD boards started to get the larger-value ceramic or tantalum caps parts in a few places, and they should be done.  If the board is strictly digital (CPU, memory, SCSI, basic I/O) and has them for basic noise filtering on the power planes near the edge connector or close to a clock chip, go with SMD Hybrid Electrolytic replacements like above. 

The parallel-port audio digitizer module, video TBCs, IV-24, and anything that is on the output signals of an A/V product, I would replace them with identical parts. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 11:18:29 PM by thebajaguy »
Former GVP Tech Support 1989-1993 - Bloodied in the original trenches of the Amiga Wild Wild West.