Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lets talk: Alien Breed  (Read 8873 times)

Description:

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Re: Lets talk: Alien Breed
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 04:57:59 PM »
I dug Alien Breed 3D.

As far as Commodore going bankrupt because of Doom... seriously ?
Doom came out in the very end of 93. Dave Haynie has made it pretty clear in interviews that at that point, Commodore was beyond rescue.

Offline tone007

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 04:59:20 PM »
Quote from: runequester;590335
As far as Commodore going bankrupt because of Doom... seriously ?

It didn't even take Doom, I blame Wolfenstein 3D!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 05:39:37 PM »
Quote from: JJ;590322
I agree franko,  It used to bug me computer and games magazines printing cheats.

I don't cheat at games because I really don't see the point either.

Oftentimes a good "cheat" is the only way to see cute little things stuck in places by bored programmers.  There's instances throughout Quake, Romero's head in Doom, there's an automated turret bunker in DN3d that has graffiti on the inside that says "You shouldn't be here!" (which could only be seen if you were in there); in Shadow Warrior there's a load of "in jokes" on the backs of cars that are outside of the airport lobby/level you can't get to...unless, again, you use noclip mode.

I mean, the list goes on and on.

It's fun to see stuff like that.

Plus, on playthroughs, God-mode is good for quickly getting to your "favorite" parts. :)
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline sledge

• Show only replies by sledge
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 06:15:33 PM »
Doom for sure killed the belief we fellow Amiga owners had back then. But we had some really nice 3D games released on our patform aswell. AB3D being one of the best imho. I like the game alot, and I played it to death on my CD32 back in 1994/5 (can't remember when it was released).

Yes, the blocky gfx is not that good, but it's good enough. And the gameplay was great!

Doom sucks... AB3D rules :D

Offline pyrre

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 06:34:11 PM »
Quote from: runequester;590265
This series, more than anything else, really captures everything about the amiga for me.

Great graphics, the sense of playing "aliens the movie", sound effects, the haunting intro tune, the frantic two player action, the completely irreverent and obnoxious cheat codes. It was just perfect.

So lets talk about the series.

Which was your fave of the series?
Which ones have you beaten (no cheats or trainers)?
Fave weapons?

In short, talk everything Alien Breed :)

Oh my.. really nice topic, like this one.

I played both AB, but i never had the chance to play AB3D. Never got the hardware to do so.

Number one and number two are by far my favorite Amiga game. And (believe it or not) i have never cheated in any AB game...

About favorite weapons.. anything that kills aliens... :D
Amiga 1200 Tower Os 3.9
BPPC 603e+ 040-25/200, 256MBram, BVIsionPPC, Indivision AGA MK2.
Amiga 2000 (rev 4.0) Os 1.2/1.3
2088 bridgeboard, 2MB ram card, 2091 SCSI.
Amiga 500+ Os 2.1
Derringer 030, 32MBram, Buddha in sidecar, Indivision ECS.
Amiga CD32
Video decoder

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 07:43:38 PM »
I played Tower Assault. I don't think I ever played AB1 or 2. I know one thing: don't bother with the new Alien Breeds which Team 17 released a couple of months ago on Steam. They are utterly boring. The Shadowgrounds games are much, much better and for a modern multiplayer Alien Breed check out the free Alien Swarm.

Team 17 really lost their touch 15 years ago :\.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:46:43 PM by odin »

Offline RMK305

• Show only replies by RMK305
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 08:12:08 PM »
I liked, and completed, Tower Assault. The problem was that by playing Tower Assault first, going and playing the earlier games where you couldn't backup and shoot was annoying as hell. The CD32 version of Tower Assault has issues though. I can't remember them off the top of my head but accessing the map caused the game to hang and there was a glitch with one of the weapons whereby you paid for an upgrade but it stayed at the standard power level.
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 09:21:26 PM »
To say Alien breed 3D has low res is an understatement. What about ultra low res?

I tried to finish the game but failed. The res is so bad half the time i couldn't tell the difference between the bad guys and the walls behind them! It's hard to finish a game when you can't see the bad guys   :madashell:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline RMK305

• Show only replies by RMK305
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 11:09:49 PM »
Quote from: odin;590371
The Shadowgrounds games are much, much better and for a modern multiplayer Alien Breed check out the free Alien Swarm.

Just tried Alien Swarm for the last couple of hours and it's feckin' awesome! Thanks you!
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 12:05:50 AM »
@Kesa: Think of AB3D as a text adventure ;). I enjoyed that game, despite the crappy visuals and performance.

@RMK305: You're welcome. It's a bit thin on maps though, but that could've changed by now with community stuff. Feel free to find odin@amiga.org on Steam if you need a fourth space 'rine to shoot some aliens.

Offline madcowdisease

• Show only replies by madcowdisease
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 07:42:25 AM »
A victory for style over substance (the team 17 way).

Great graphics (at the time) and sound, problem was it was an annoying maze game that got boring very quickly. I would rather not discuss Alien Breed 3d as I am in still in therapy for that one.

Now retail games that really defined Amiga for me were: Stunt Car racer, F1GP, Frontier: Elite 2, Syndicate and the Monkey Island games.

Lets not forget CLASSICS like Dennis, Akira on CD32 and Body Blows Galactic (joking).

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 08:21:03 AM »
I remember playing AlienBreed1 when it was brand new. Me and a few friends sat around my amiga eagerly anticipating playing it. I was one of the 1st to play and for about 10 minutes I thought it was the greatest game ever. Nice graphics, great atmosphere, the computers you could access and play pong. After a while though the initial excitement wavered a little, but I kept playing expecting to find it again. For me that never came. I wouldnt say it's a bad game at all, it's still a competant shooter, but for me it's appeal dwindled very quickly. Each to thier own and whatnot though.....

Now as for AlienBreed3d I vey much enjoyed it. For it's day, besides resolution it was a fairly impressive engine and was silky smooth on even a modest a1200 (played it on a 28mhz corba mk2 '030 + 4 meg fast if I recall correctly). Well crafted gameplay and good level design, plus that atmosphere that AlienBreed had briefly stays around in AB3D.

AlienBreed3d 2:TKG I initially didnt like. Despite looking nice, even against it's peers on other platforms of the day it just wasnt playable on the 50mhz blizz 4 '030 + 8 meg fast I was using at the time. I tried to persist, but it just felt "muddy" and unresponsive so I wrote the game off.
Some years later however while finding out about an RTG patch for it I was an amithlon user so decided to see how it played on fast hardware and was pleasantly surprised to find it completely changed the experience. It's actually not too far removed from an enhanced (both resolution and engine, etc.) version of AB3D1 when you have powerful enough hardware behind it and when it does I'd put it in my top few Amiga FPS games. Very much chalk and cheese between the 2 systems I ran it on.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:23:40 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 09:03:32 AM »
Quote from: madcowdisease;590440
Lets not forget CLASSICS like Dennis, Akira on CD32 and Body Blows Galactic (joking).

Are you kidding? Body Blows Galactic is the best fighter game ever!     :)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 10:38:21 AM »
Actually I have always considered it as a rather sub-par game.

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 11:44:24 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;590391
To say Alien breed 3D has low res is an understatement. What about ultra low res?

To right, I had hoped they'd release a level pack to run the original in AB3D2. I really loved the atmosphere, but I could not see squat.

As for the 2D games, I did love them...but I hated the exploding levels. Worst game mechanic ever.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 09, 2010, 12:07:47 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;590391

I tried to finish the game but failed. The res is so bad half the time i couldn't tell the difference between the bad guys and the walls behind them! It's hard to finish a game when you can't see the bad guys   :madashell:

It was no lower resolution than existing doom clones of the same period, most of which were far less polished.

I originally finished that game on a basic A1200. Whilst some of the later levels had moments that were interactive slide shows*, a bit of tenacity goes a long way. Maybe you just sucked at playing it :lol:

*when I got my first accelerator card, it was a completely different story. Completely fluid at all times.
int p; // A