Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is the best filesystem - driver for a Pioneer DRM-604 CD Changer?  (Read 389 times)

Description:

Offline MotormouthTopic starter

I just got an Pioneer DRM-604 SCSI CDRom Changer.

What is the best filesystem-driver to use with the Amiga?

I know ASIM-CDFS will work.  Is it the best? what about OS 3.9's CDFS?

What are your experiences?  I never had a CDRom Changer before.

Offline QuikSanz

Re: What is the best filesystem - driver for a Pioneer DRM-604 CD Changer?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 04:41:53 AM »
Quote from: Motormouth;784707
I just got an Pioneer DRM-604 SCSI CDRom Changer.

What is the best filesystem-driver to use with the Amiga?

I know ASIM-CDFS will work.  Is it the best? what about OS 3.9's CDFS?

What are your experiences?  I never had a CDRom Changer before.

Hmm, afaik ASIM-CDFS is the only one that has a choice for one in prefs.

Chris

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 05:05:09 AM »
Do you remember this quote, "There can be only one!"  

Regardless, it is not the file system per se, but the controlling software; ASIMware's CDFS know to use the unit numbers of the SCSI ID numbers.  You are aware that an A2091 (for example) uses ID #7 for the controller, leaving you 0 to 6 ID numbers for your device.  Each device can have 7 unit numbers: a CDROM changers set to be device 3 will access each of its CD Drives by the unit numbers (0 to 7).  There by each drive gets a number like 035 where the drive is unit 5 on device (ID#) 3.

You can do this by hand and set up a mountlist for each drive in a changer, or just use ASIM-CDfs that also allows each drive to be used with a GUI.

AS I recall, you can have up to 7 controllers or so, in your computer, in which case the mountlist might contain "235" for controller 2, ID 3, drive 5.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:08:15 AM by danbeaver »

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 04:21:30 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;784712
Do you remember this quote, "There can be only one!"  

Regardless, it is not the file system per se, but the controlling software; ASIMware's CDFS know to use the unit numbers of the SCSI ID numbers.  You are aware that an A2091 (for example) uses ID #7 for the controller, leaving you 0 to 6 ID numbers for your device.  Each device can have 7 unit numbers: a CDROM changers set to be device 3 will access each of its CD Drives by the unit numbers (0 to 7).  There by each drive gets a number like 035 where the drive is unit 5 on device (ID#) 3.

You can do this by hand and set up a mountlist for each drive in a changer, or just use ASIM-CDfs that also allows each drive to be used with a GUI.

AS I recall, you can have up to 7 controllers or so, in your computer, in which case the mountlist might contain "235" for controller 2, ID 3, drive 5.

Thanks for both or your replies.

I will try using ASIM-CDFS.   I own (actually multiple versions as always got the upgrade) ASIM-CDFS since AmigaOS 1.3 through 3.1.   I started using the internal file amiga CDFS at 3.5 and above.  more or less I was wondering if there were better configuration or easier you use configurations or more powerful configurations than ASIM-CDFS offers.

@danbeaver   "There can be only one!"  That is just like us in the Amiga community that hang on an old computer from the second age of man kind.  "My Precious!"

I think with this some units you are partly correct.  I think some of the CD changers are set up the way you describe, but some use luns.
 I think this one uses luns (as this is a Six disk changer).  So you really need a SCSI controller that can handle Luns, like an A3000 internal, or a gvpscsi.  If my memory serves, (it as been a while) the 235 you are referring to is correct, the 2 is controller, the scsi ID is the 3, but the Luns or "drive" is the 5.  (correct me if I am wrong).  Most fixed hard drives have a lun of 0, but drives with multiple media (like a multi card reader) have multple luns with one id,  so the CD changer is "probably" lun 0-5.  Otherwise you would quickly run out of Scsi IDs which is not the case with may readers.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 04:26:11 AM »
Quote from: Motormouth;784851
(correct me if I am wrong).  Most fixed hard drives have a lun of 0, but drives with multiple media (like a multi card reader) have multple luns with one id,  so the CD changer is "probably" lun 0-5.  Otherwise you would quickly run out of Scsi IDs which is not the case with may readers.

No need to correct, you are right.

Source:  I own multiple SCSI card readers.  :D
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 04:55:29 AM »
Quote from: Motormouth;784851
Thanks for both or your replies.

I will try using ASIM-CDFS.   I own (actually multiple versions as always got the upgrade) ASIM-CDFS since AmigaOS 1.3 through 3.1.   I started using the internal file amiga CDFS at 3.5 and above.  more or less I was wondering if there were better configuration or easier you use configurations or more powerful configurations than ASIM-CDFS offers.

@danbeaver   "There can be only one!"  That is just like us in the Amiga community that hang on an old computer from the second age of man kind.  "My Precious!"

I think with this some units you are partly correct.  I think some of the CD changers are set up the way you describe, but some use luns.
 I think this one uses luns (as this is a Six disk changer).  So you really need a SCSI controller that can handle Luns, like an A3000 internal, or a gvpscsi.  If my memory serves, (it as been a while) the 235 you are referring to is correct, the 2 is controller, the scsi ID is the 3, but the Luns or "drive" is the 5.  (correct me if I am wrong).  Most fixed hard drives have a lun of 0, but drives with multiple media (like a multi card reader) have multple luns with one id,  so the CD changer is "probably" lun 0-5.  Otherwise you would quickly run out of Scsi IDs which is not the case with may readers.

When I say Unit Numbers, I mean Logical Unit Numbers or lun's.  The "logical" part of that seems not needed IMHO.  Mike is correct, Mech's SCSI card readers use the same thing.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 05:49:07 AM »
Had one of these when I ran my BBS and used ASIM with great luck.

Was an absolute delight watching BBS users hit the CD changer, rotating discs, pulling files remotely :)

Back then, the concept of 700+ MB x 6 online on a BBS, on demand, was mindblowing.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 12:08:17 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;784856
When I say Unit Numbers, I mean Logical Unit Numbers or lun's.  The "logical" part of that seems not needed IMHO.  Mike is correct, Mech's SCSI card readers use the same thing.

Sorry, I miss understood.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 12:11:32 AM »
Quote from: Duce;784857
Had one of these when I ran my BBS and used ASIM with great luck.

Was an absolute delight watching BBS users hit the CD changer, rotating discs, pulling files remotely :)

Back then, the concept of 700+ MB x 6 online on a BBS, on demand, was mindblowing.

Duce, very cool!  It will be fun to try replicating such a thing.  I have a couple fred fish disks and a couple older aminet disks.