Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 News  (Read 6232 times)

Description:

Offline QuikSanz

Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 News
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 08:07:25 PM »
Now I remember why I don't check this site very often anymore.

Chris

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »
@ the usual cry-babies

OK, before continuing this moaning about my presence in this thread, go back and read from the beginning what I have actually written:

In this thread *I have* expressed "positiveness" towards the fact that they are trying to fix the OS4.1.3 mess (which is an established fact, not some evil "takemehomegrandma propaganda", the very existence of this "news item" is proof to the pudding) with a new bugfix release. This *is* a good thing, nowhere did I say otherwise (if you feel I did, please point me to that post)!

I have also tried highlight the benefits of ISO-style releases, and trying to correct some (obviously) common misconceptions regarding possibility of having an update option in ISO's. I'm far, far from the only one preferring this, you see many OS4 fans on this site and on other sites expressing the very same opinions.

That's about it! And this has caused you (the "usual suspects") to double the thread's length with meta-comments about my evilness. Sigh.

Give me a reason to cheer, and I'll cheer, but I'll also call cr@p when I see it. The advent of an unexpected and unplanned OS4.1.4 bugfix release in between OS4.1.3 and OS4.2.0 *is* a good thing for OS4 fans, like I said in this thread. OS4.1.3 clearly wasn't, and propaganda from the "there are no bugs in the Articia S" zealots won't change that fact. Deal with it!
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 08:41:44 PM »
Oooops sorry for intruding, I didn't realise that this is the JJ and takemehomegrandma mutual masturbation thread... ;)

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 09:14:49 PM »
LOl! Half this thread is blocked on my ignore list. takmehomegradma must be at it again......

Offline nicholas

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 09:16:47 PM »
If I buy OS4.1 today, will 4.2 be a free upgrade (Like MOS 2.8 to 3.0 will be) or will I have to shell out another 150 notes to get it?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline raddude9

• Show only replies by raddude9
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 11:25:20 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;664114
@ the usual cry-babies

OK, before continuing this moaning about my presence in this thread, go back and read from the beginning what I have actually written:

In this thread *I have* expressed "positiveness" towards the fact that they are trying to fix the OS4.1.3 mess (which is an established fact, not some evil "takemehomegrandma propaganda", the very existence of this "news item" is proof to the pudding) with a new bugfix release. This *is* a good thing, nowhere did I say otherwise (if you feel I did, please point me to that post)!

I have also tried highlight the benefits of ISO-style releases, and trying to correct some (obviously) common misconceptions regarding possibility of having an update option in ISO's. I'm far, far from the only one preferring this, you see many OS4 fans on this site and on other sites expressing the very same opinions.

That's about it! And this has caused you (the "usual suspects") to double the thread's length with meta-comments about my evilness. Sigh.

Give me a reason to cheer, and I'll cheer, but I'll also call cr@p when I see it. The advent of an unexpected and unplanned OS4.1.4 bugfix release in between OS4.1.3 and OS4.2.0 *is* a good thing for OS4 fans, like I said in this thread. OS4.1.3 clearly wasn't, and propaganda from the "there are no bugs in the Articia S" zealots won't change that fact. Deal with it!

I'll bite.

You say you expressed positiveness! You called the 4.1.3 release "Catastrophic" when it clearly wasn't. You also say that 4.1.3 being a "mess" is an established fact, when it's not a fact, it's just your own very biased opinion. You also blow out of proportion that some users have had problems, but you fail to recognise that most of the issues were sorted out. And you keep harping on about how you don't like the AmigaOS4 install procedure, we know already, give it a rest. Then you get in with snidey remarks about how you think amigaOs4 has not reached it's 1.0 level and how it is of poor quality.

Your definition of positive is not the same as mine.

This biased trolling is hurting what remains of the Amiga platform. Please stop it.

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 11:45:41 PM »
@raddude9

You make it sound like I'm making things up, like what happened didn't *really* happen. I don't know, maybe it's down to perception, clearly you don't see the reality the way I do. We don't have to agree. If we can just leave it at that, I will try not to post further in this thread, but before I go, let me just say that one positive thing that OS4.1.3 brought, is that there now will be an OS4.1.4, and this one will contain - on top of the obvious bug fixes - a *surprise* or two! :)

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 12:16:51 AM »
I will ask you again Takemehomegrandma, and please answer the questions:  have you used said OS on a modern, native PPC machine?  Did you personally apply the 4.1 u3 update yourself on a system?  If the answer is "yes" to both, what sort of issues exactly did you have?  If the answer is no, you have nothing but hearsay to go on, sorry - Talking head nonsense.

I do, and did.  I hit an initial problem with some rogue MUI programs/libs that monkeyed up the patch, just as I have hit problems with mainstream OS's and "third party" programs.  (See OS X Lion, or newer versions of Windows breaking programs)

It's not an issue of "perception" in the least dude, lol.  It was a problem with third party programs as far as I am concerned.  I'm well aware of the shortcomings of OS 4.1, but talking out of ones hindquarters and claiming "vague observations" as "fact" is wholly silly.

Offline Templario

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2011, 12:18:20 AM »
Quote from: Daedalus;664052
@takemehomegrandma

Catastrophic? It seems that most people had no issues with update 3, and of those who did, most were down to messiness with 3rd party libraries etc. Given the small numbers of developers and testers involved, there's always a risk an update like that won't work with someone's setup, simply because there are so many different setups out there. We have issues in my job where we roll out an update to supposedly identical machines and it just fails on some. Not ideal, but that's how it goes.

I agree about the ISO though - a full, clean ISO would be nice as an option for those who want to or need to do a clean install. Personally, I'd like both to be available - an upgrade so I don't have to do any messing with ISOs and reconfiguring my machine after installation, and a full ISO, just in case I ever have a need for it...
Friend, the subject takemehomegrandma is a Mor.... Taliban and instead of to be glad for the foreign good, he only is happy wish the bad things for OS4 users. This people with these feelings is a bad Amiga users, I'm very happy that in a future will there is a MorphOS 3.0 although I like a unique OS for PPC called "Ramona" or other name, but a unique with all energies and people working around it.
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline Templario

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 12:23:39 AM »
I need for this new update for my Sam 460ex drivers for the Ati graphic card and a good sound drivers, and a new 3D library or driver for the future software, all these thing will available in this update 4?
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 02:05:38 AM »
I am happy to see that there will be at least one more update before OS4.2 is released.

Update 1 was an ISO image.  I had no problems creating a CD-R, but there was an issue with some drivers that caused havoc with the MicroA1 systems.  Many of us had to disable two onboard USB ports to allow us to boot into a stable system.  I had no problems doing the actual updates for update 2 or update 3.  Just as a precaution, I backed up my prefs files, user-startup and a few other important files.  Then I downloaded the lha file, used Unarc to unarchive the files and performed the update.  All very straight forward.

A few years ago, I moved most of my third part stuff off my system partition and I have kept my system partition as clean as possible in an attempt to avoid extra work when it comes time to upgrade.

---
redfox
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:14:30 AM by redfox »

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2011, 03:35:37 AM »
Quote from: Akiko;664103
It's a shame yet another OS4 related thread is being spammed by the usual suspects.
Is absolutely nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but this just the same politically
charged crap from a minority of individuals that troll just about every OS4 related thread and is beginning to wear thin.

yup I've been saying the exact same things for what seems like ever here but 'the usual suspects' still constantly troll on every single OS4.x thread...just really sad:(
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2011, 08:15:30 AM »
Quote from: Duce;664150
have you used said OS on a modern, native PPC machine?  Did you personally apply the 4.1 u3 update yourself on a system?

First - you made an error by using the words "PPC" and "modern" in the same sentence; yesterdays ARM *smartbooks* are on par with Sam440. Current ARM Cortex-A9 smartbooks are on par with G4 (AFAIK, the Sam 460 isn't really) -- and the G4 had its peak half a decade ago!

Did you personally apply the 4.1 u3 update yourself on a system?

No, it was a very long time I owned a OS4 system, and I have absolutely no reason or ambition to ever own one again. I can't see a single benefit of an OS4 system over a MorphOS system, and it doesn't look like this fact will change anytime soon.

If the answer is no, you have nothing but hearsay to go on, sorry - Talking head nonsense.

Some "hearsay" also say the upgrade worked flawless (there has been many users closing up behind Hyperion to show their support in this after the **** hit the fan), but there was also a *massive* (relatively speaking) - even for an OS4 release - testimonies from respected OS4 users about the quality of the OS4.1.3 release. Denying this is futile, someone started to compile a long list of references of issues over at moobunny, or maybe it was two lists even, and if I would spend an hour browsing through AW.net, Amiga.org, Hyperion's forum, and moobunny, I am pretty confident I could present you with quite an impressive list of a significant number of people, most reporting more than one issue, and not few of them are of a *fundamental* kind. I can easily do that this afternoon. Do you want me to?

Edit:

In various forums presenting this "advent of OS4.1.4" news item, there are many suggestions of what bugs users hopes to have fixed. And new testemonies of OS4.1.3's "quality" keeps coming in as we speak, this was from *yesterday*:

"Same here, update 3 is really slow, slower than my windows 7 machine at booting, seems over a minute now, and the start up sound stutters like crazy."

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=34424&forum=2&start=20&viewmode=flat&order=0#633014

"I can only compare my Mac mini G4 on MOS and my A1XE on OS 4.1.3

From cold MOS boots for me in around 10 seconds, OS 4.1.3 in around 1 min so there is a substantial difference, but as mentioned earlier, update 3 seems to have made the boot around 10 times slower than it was previously, I just look at the boot screen for a good minute or so after UBoot, not sure what change slowed it down so much."

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=34424&forum=2&start=20&viewmode=flat&order=0#633016

OS4.1.3 boots multiple times slower than OS4.1.2, there are no rational reasons to explain this vast speed decrease other than something must be borked.

Look, there is a reason to why they announce an OS4.1.4, and it's *not* because OS4.1.3 was a good quality release, it's the very opposite. Why is this so hard to grasp?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:34:23 AM by takemehomegrandma »

Offline utri007

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2011, 08:16:03 AM »
I've also said same thing, many times. I didn't realize that they are mastubating here :D so maybe all this bull**** is understable, let them do what ever they wan to do in peace.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline spirantho

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2011, 08:50:34 AM »
Just for a laugh I just timed my lowly Sam440ep 600MHz with u3.
It took 17 seconds from OS4.1 logo to loaded desktop, and that included a few seconds for DHCP look-up.
Just because some people installed software that did things it shouldn't does NOT mean the OS is "fundamentally flawed".
We know you like MOS, that's fine - I use it too sometimes - but repeating hearsay as truth isn't on. Sure there are people complaining but each time it was down to something that user had done, NOT the OS itself. If their apps had followed OS guidelines there would have been no issue, so you can't blame OS4.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #44 from previous page: October 20, 2011, 08:59:30 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;664088
Well, on MorphOS, ISO's are perfectly clickable, no hazzle! :p ;)

*shrug* Same on OS4.

IMHO there is a certain "beauty", or "cleanliness" if you like, of releasing the OS as a complete ISO that contains everything needed, hence every new release becomes like a new lowest common denominator, increasing the predictability, and making it easy to do a clean install of any version if you want to. Releasing a series of incomplete/partial patches that each builds on the previous one, isn't really "kosher" in my view. I can understand why this is done on Windows, where sizes counts in gigabytes, but on Amiga? Since the bigger size of an ISO is the only rational argument *against* ISO-style releases I can see, it obviously comes down to a matter of taste of the OS4 devs. They simply don't like ISO's. Or maybe Hyperion don't want to distribute complete releases in any other shape and form than a physical CD with a boing-ball printed on it (isn't that one of the most important parts of their product after all - the boing ball (TM)? ). I don't know. But even if you "have to" burn a CD (and given the frequency of OS4 releases - how much of an effort can this really be for a user? It's not a daily, not a monthly, heck, mostly it isn't even a *yearly* chore!), this "one time" effort must surely have a lot of benefits as soon as you decide to do a clean reinstall with the latest version, in comparison to first install the latest ISO, then one update, then another, then a third, etc.

Well, it looks like it just comes down to your opinion then, fair enough. It doesn't make ISO distribution a better system, you just prefer it. Perhaps it would be good to make that distinction more clearly in future. As you point out below, Hyperion did release an ISO for one of the updates which did require a full install, so it's not to do with physical CDs. I do think download size is a reasonable argument - I'd prefer a 10-minute download to a 15-minute download when the end result to me is the same, and purely as a matter of opinion, I think only providing the updated components in an archive is a much more elegant solution than providing an ISO.

I can see many voices in favor of an ISO on various forums, so I'm getting quite sure they will give in and finally release their OS as an ISO this time; it was many revisions ago they did this (was it OS4.1.1?). And given that OS4.1.4 will (supposedly) be the last revision in the OS4.1.x branch, I think it makes sense to "wrap it up" in a nice and clean ISO that marks the end of the "OS4.1.x era", before "OS4.2.x" enters the scene with all its groundbreaking, mythical improvements that will change the Amiga paradigm forever... ;)

And you wonder why people accuse you of not being positive when it comes to OS4? I know it's only your opinion, but using language like 'groundbreaking' and 'mythical' makes you come across as quite sarcastic and dismissive. Some might even consider it trolling, even if you did put a smiley face on the end.
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com