Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 News  (Read 6248 times)

Description:

Offline PyromaniaTopic starter

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 News
« on: October 18, 2011, 11:18:52 PM »

Just a quick note to say the development and testing teams are working on AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 right now.

Several issues identified in Update 3 and earlier are being addressed thanks to direct customer feedback via Hyperion's support forum. A huge thanks to all those that have taken the time to register and post your bug reports! AmigaOS can only get better with direct customer feedback so keep it coming.

Along with the usual assortment of bug fixes, there may well be a surprise or two as well.

Steven Solie
AmigaOS Development Team Lead

Posted by Steven Solie
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:20:16 PM by SysAdmin »

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 News
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:18:53 AM »
Wow.   How is this news, we are bug fixing there might be something new, no timescales.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline HotRod

• Show only replies by HotRod
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 09:24:17 AM »
Quote from: JJ;664044
Wow.   How is this news, we are bug fixing there might be something new, no timescales.

How is this not news? It is new to me, I wouldn't have known unless the information became available but now I do. Or is it only ok to release updates of AROS/MOS as news? To me there are no difference and it's all good reading. If you don't find it usefull/interesting, don't read it. Easy.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:32:23 AM »
Sorry what I should have said is that it is News , but the News is there is No news.

And I would say the same thing if it was an AROS or MorphOS announcement saying nothing as well.

But luckily for me MOS devs dont release News until there is some News
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 09:50:36 AM »
Quote from: Pyromania;664012

Just a quick note to say the development and testing teams are working on AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 right now.

Several issues identified in Update 3 and earlier are being addressed thanks to direct customer feedback via Hyperion's support forum. A huge thanks to all those that have taken the time to register and post your bug reports! AmigaOS can only get better with direct customer feedback so keep it coming.

Along with the usual assortment of bug fixes, there may well be a surprise or two as well.

Steven Solie
AmigaOS Development Team Lead

Posted by Steven Solie

A quick response to the catastrophic OS4.1.3 release, good news (*if* they get it right this time) for all the OS4 users that had to revert to OS4.1.2 to various degrees! :)

It will be interesting to see if they will require you to have OS4.1.1, OS41.1.2, OS4.1.3 installed in a row prior to installing OS4.1.4, or if they will release it as a stand-alone ISO this time. I think the latter would be beneficial in many ways...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline toRus

• Show only replies by toRus
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 09:52:13 AM »
@JJ

OK, now I am confused ...

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 10:16:09 AM »
@takemehomegrandma

Catastrophic? It seems that most people had no issues with update 3, and of those who did, most were down to messiness with 3rd party libraries etc. Given the small numbers of developers and testers involved, there's always a risk an update like that won't work with someone's setup, simply because there are so many different setups out there. We have issues in my job where we roll out an update to supposedly identical machines and it just fails on some. Not ideal, but that's how it goes.

I agree about the ISO though - a full, clean ISO would be nice as an option for those who want to or need to do a clean install. Personally, I'd like both to be available - an upgrade so I don't have to do any messing with ISOs and reconfiguring my machine after installation, and a full ISO, just in case I ever have a need for it...
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 11:35:44 AM »
Quote from: JJ;664044

I regard it as news as I didn't think there was to be another update before 4.2.

Offline HotRod

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 11:36:18 AM »
Quote from: JJ;664047
Sorry what I should have said is that it is News , but the News is there is No news.

And I would say the same thing if it was an AROS or MorphOS announcement saying nothing as well.

But luckily for me MOS devs dont release News until there is some News

Since they always delivers I don't see the problem at all? It's a good thing, now I know that there will be one more free update (at least) before 4.2 is released. That's what many has been wondering so I appreciate it rather than not knowing what to expect.

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 12:41:48 PM »
Quote from: Daedalus;664052
@takemehomegrandma

Catastrophic? It seems that most people had no issues with update 3, and of those who did, most were down to messiness with 3rd party libraries etc.

*Many* users had *terrible* problems (and not "minor glitches", but *fundamental* ones) with the OS4.1.3 release. It was obviously not tested enough, and the following crisis management was terribly handled (blaming users, etc). I don't think there has ever been a single release of OS4.x.y without some user groups (defined by their hardware) not having big problems (for numerous reasons; flaky hardware, flaky testing, incompatible third party SW, whatever - reasons doesn't really matter), but OS4.1.3 must hold the record as the worst ever.

But let's forget that now! I'm sure they will clean it all up in OS4.1.4! :) When can it be expected?

(And yes, I know there are glitches in competing solutions as well, but never remotely as severe as we have seen in OS4 during the years)

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 12:54:31 PM »
Quote from: HotRod;664055
Since they always delivers I don't see the problem at all? It's a good thing, now I know that there will be one more free update (at least) before 4.2 is released. That's what many has been wondering so I appreciate it rather than not knowing what to expect.

I think the fact that they have charged for ANY of the updates to AOS4 is scandalous.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 01:04:04 PM »
Oh, and...

Quote from: Daedalus;664052
I agree about the ISO though - a full, clean ISO would be nice as an option for those who want to or need to do a clean install. Personally, I'd like both to be available - an upgrade so I don't have to do any messing with ISOs and reconfiguring my machine after installation, and a full ISO, just in case I ever have a need for it...

...there are *no reasons whatsoever* to why you shouldn't be able to upgrade from an ISO. Every single one of the public MorphOS releases (v1.0+) came packaged as an ISO, and it was only on one or two occasions (1.4->2.0?) that you were recommended to do a clean install instead of upgrading. The only downside (and it's really a minor one with today's Internet bandwidth standards) is that file size may be bigger with an ISO, but the upsides are so much bigger. Clean install or upgrade - it's a matter of how the installer is set up (and then how the user decides), *not* if it's an ISO or not. With a properly put together ISO you will have a choice, without it you never will.

:)

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 01:10:43 PM »
Quote from: JJ;664062
I think the fact that they have charged for ANY of the updates to AOS4 is scandalous.

Some say that MorphOS reached its de-facto "v1.0 level" somewhere around v2.0/2.1 (and this is also when the license started to cost money).

When it comes to OS4, I feel that it has yet some distance to go before it reaches its "v1.0" level...

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 01:12:52 PM »
Not that I am biased :)

But I suspect it never will

Offline HotRod

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 01:18:48 PM »
Quote from: JJ;664062

lol... isn't that the sound of a MOS fanboy? :-P ... and now the whole flamewar begins...

That is just to tease me and it won't work. I would probably use MOS if I could but this is OT.