Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DiscreetFX Platform Shift  (Read 7744 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
DiscreetFX Platform Shift
« on: November 05, 2010, 01:34:47 AM »
DiscreetFX's primary focus for quite a while has been developing visual effects products for video editing solutions on Windows. We would sometimes also make these effects available at a later date for Mac OS X. Potential Mac customers would call us concerned because certain products would ship much later for Mac OS X if ever. As 2010 winds down and ends we have noticed a softening in our Windows effects business. We did some research and found that while companies that sell integrated hardware/software solutions on Windows are doing fine software only vendors have noticed a great slow down.

Our research results have come back and this downward spiral will only continue and accelerate in the future. Microsoft continues to bleed many key executives at an alarming pace. What do they know that we don't? Since we wish to grow and expand DiscreetFX we plan to avoid this destitution and software sales decay. For some time we have already run the business side of DFX on Mac OS X and this has worked out well. Starting today we will change the focus of our software effects development from Windows to Mac OS X. Now the OS X versions of our software will come out first and later the Windows versions will ship if ever depending on the product. The first product this will affect is MusicFX.

DiscreetFX's Amiga business and Amiga.org will remain unchanged since this has always been the fun side of the business. This decision should strengthen DiscreetFX and help it grow. We are only reporting it here for transparency reasons and for full disclosure to our customers since some of them are members of this site. Of course old products are still fully supported.

If you have questions don't hesitate to ask. Our first mission is to help our great customer base. Exciting times are ahead like the Mac App Store. A lot of our regular customers have changed platforms from Windows to Mac and we will now join them. Expect to see other software developers follow suit. We are usually slightly ahead of the curve. If you remember we were one of the first to embrace selling software on Flash drives in 2006 and we completely moved to selling all our FX software on Flash drives in 2008. Apple just started selling Mac OS X and iLife 11 on Flash drives last week with the new MacBook Air.

Best regards

DiscreetFX Team
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:39:25 PM by SysAdmin »
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
Re: DiscreetFX Platform Shift
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:57:55 AM »
I don't blame you, you have to follow the money or lose the business.

Best of luck!

Offline tone007

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 02:03:18 AM »
For instant success with the Mac crowd, prepend all of your product names with "i."
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 02:05:42 AM »
Quote from: tone007;589460
For instant success with the Mac crowd, prepend all of your product names with "i."

Even better "iLuv"

Example iLuv SportsFX

:)
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 02:21:32 AM »
Does that tell you about the type of people that are abandoning Windows in favour of a Mac?
It only proves to me that Windows Vista and 7 are lousy or at least not what a lot consumers wanted after XP.
It also could suggest that the previous $3000 to $4000 price tag of Macs was offputting.
Now if only we can attract more commercial software to Linux.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 02:23:16 AM »
you can just hear the windows users scream IdisrespectFX from now on :lol:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 02:34:18 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;589463
Does that tell you about the type of people that are abandoning Windows in favour of a Mac?
It only proves to me that Windows Vista and 7 are lousy or at least not what a lot consumers wanted after XP.
It also could suggest that the previous $3000 to $4000 price tag of Macs was offputting.

I don't think the announcement proves anything about Windows Vista and 7, it only reflects the current state of most people's financial down-turn and that they are spending less because of it.

Commercial software developers are attracted to users and platforms where they see people spending money to buy their products.  Most Linux users want everything for free, so there are always going to be fewer commercial software choices on Linux than other OSes, until the Linux user's spending habits change.  (I would still love to see Linux, or any other OS take down Windows, or at least become a serious competitor, some day in the future.  Not that I have any religious dislike or hate toward Windows, but it sucks to have one OS so dominant in the market to the point that it negatively affects software development and innovation on the other OS platforms)

Edit: Come to think of it (sadly), most *Amiga* users (*AmigaOS3.x, AmigaOS4.x, MorphOS2.x & AROS*) want all their software for free, or at very cheap prices, just like Linux users.  This attitude does not encourage more development of new, or updated apps and games for *us*.  So, next time you think about the lack of software (or hardware items too) for the *Amiga* community, spend your money supporting our remaining developers and hardware designers/manufacturers, or donate to a bounty to get the software or hardware you want to see created for the *Amiga*.  (Oh yes, also stop comparing prices of *Amiga* software and hardware to that available on other platforms, because it is your choice to use, or not use the *Amiga* platform, and unless there is another choice of software, or hardware item that is available for you to use on your *Amiga* computer of choice, at a lower price, you are stuck with paying the price asked, switching away from the *Amiga* to use Linux, Windows, or MacOSX, or creating the *Amiga* software/hardware item yourself.  Comparing it to what is available for Linux, Windows, or MacOSX does not help anything, anyone, or make any difference in getting what you want at a lower price.)  If you want a bigger and better *Amiga* community with more software and hardware choices, do something positive about it.  Spend your money, volunteer to assist developers with documentation and/or language translations, learn to program for the *Amiga* flavor of your choice (or cross compile for all flavors of the *Amiga* experience) and create some software for all of us to use and enjoy, or get involved in a user group, or project that "grows" more *Amiga* users by generating interest in new users and/or former Amiga users, so they can do any of the above for our community.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 03:05:37 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 03:08:22 AM »
Being in the video market, it actually tells me that Apple did a great job of courting the video/film market and schools.  Students that know a product go on to jobs using that product.

They've started to turn their backs on all things that aren't mobile, so I give it a few more years before their hold on the video market starts to slip away.

Until then, as a third-party I'd absolutely target their market as well.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 03:18:21 AM »
Why not port to AROSx86 and sell "closed" hardware and software solutions then?
This way you control the quality of the hardware such as RAID(s) and video cards ensuring that your product performs expectedly well on the hardware.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 04:43:02 AM »
@amigadave
On the other hand, as much as I have seen and heard that speech, I come to think that sadly many Amiga resellers/developers/hardware_designers (but not all), want to milk the cow at exorbitant prices and lousy products, with the old tale of economy of scale, niche markets, or whatever.

This is an attitude that does not encourage the preservation of the Amiga as a viable commercial market at all.

They even make investments on unreasonably dumb bounties that after sometime they regret that they have supported, instead of focusing what the community, and finally, what that market needs.

Look, on the contrary, how succesfull some very few Amiga resellers/developers/hardware_designers have been, that they felt humble enough, and took the time to analyse the community´s needs and have provided viable solutions. The Amiga user market has indeed responded by buying from them leaving many of their products literally out of stock.

It is not that Amiga users are cheap. As an example, all Amiga users I have personally contacted so far this year, have at least spent 200 US$ in Amiga accesories this year, despite there are not many available, and even some like me, have spent well over 800 US$. But then most of the time I, like many others find difficult, if not impossible, to get a particular Amiga item, despite the money that we have already stashed for that purpose.

So sanity and cooperation have to work both ways :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:45:36 AM by Gulliver »

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 05:56:39 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;589488
@amigadave
On the other hand, as much as I have seen and heard that speech, I come to think that sadly many Amiga resellers/developers/hardware_designers (but not all), want to milk the cow at exorbitant prices and lousy products, with the old tale of economy of scale, niche markets, or whatever.

This is an attitude that does not encourage the preservation of the Amiga as a viable commercial market at all.

As hard as it is to understand and accept, it is not the Amiga resellers/developers/hardware_designers job to preserve the Amiga market.  (I agree that some degree of cooperation is desirable, and would hope that they wish the Amiga market to continue, since it is in their best interest, but only if they continue to make a profit from Amiga products and services)

They provide, or try to provide a service or product at a price that they can make a profit from at a price they believe the "market" will pay.  If there is no market, they move into other markets where they can make a profit, or they close shop and do something else.  Of course any reseller/developer/hardware_designer that deliberately price gouges their customers will not survive long in any market, so I am not condoning such an attitude or actions, but all to often the Amiga users cry about the prices they must pay for services or products without having any clue about the actual operational & production costs to provide those services or products.  

You have your opinion regarding how often Amiga services and products are being offered at "exorbitant" prices, which differs from my opinion about how often this happens, but if no one else is offering the same service or product to the Amiga community it does not matter what either of us think.  It is the sellers choice to ask what ever they want and let the "market" determine if the service or product will survive at that price point.  The point I was trying to make was that if we don't show existing and potential new resellers/developers/hardware_designers that there is an Amiga market willing to spend money on Amiga products and services, we will not see any new resellers/developers/hardware_designers and eventually will lose the existing resellers/developers/hardware_designers that we have now.

They even make investments on unreasonably dumb bounties that after sometime they regret that they have supported, instead of focusing what the community, and finally, what that market needs.

You are obviously referring to specific company(ies) and product(s) that you feel are not needed or wanted by the Amiga community.  My response to that is, if the product or service is not wanted or needed it will fail to sell and hurts only the company or individual(s) who have invested the time and money to produce it.  I don't see how that hurts the Amiga community, unless other companies see the failure as a lack of an Amiga community being left to support any similar products they might be thinking of producing.

Look, on the contrary, how succesfull some very few Amiga resellers/developers/hardware_designers have been, that they felt humble enough, and took the time to analyse the community´s needs and have provided viable solutions.

I don't understand how this point is related to what I wrote.  Good products at prices the community is willing to pay succeed and bad ones, or ones that are priced too high, don't succeed.

The Amiga user market has indeed responded by buying from them leaving many of their products literally out of stock.

It is not that Amiga users are cheap. As an example, all Amiga users I have personally contacted so far this year, have at least spent 200 US$ in Amiga accesories this year, despite there are not many available, and even some like me, have spent well over 800 US$. But then most of the time I, like many others find difficult, if not impossible, to get a particular Amiga item, despite the money that we have already stashed for that purpose.

How much of the money above that you mentioned was spent on software (not counting the OS)?  My guess is zero, or very close to it.  My comparison of Amiga users to Linux users was mostly in regard to the willingness of the users to spend money on 3rd party software, not hardware.  I don't know too many users of any platform that expect to get their hardware for free.  I could have been more specific and excluded all hardware from my message, but chose to be inclusive, instead of software specific.  What is lacking from the Amiga community today, the availability of new, modern software to bring us closer to having a system we can use for more of our computing needs, or hardware to run the *Amiga* OS of your choice?  My opinion says (now that we have at least SOME hardware available) we need more developers and 3rd party software and games much more than hardware to increase the number of users and by having more users, we will see more developers and larger production runs of hardware.

So sanity and cooperation have to work both ways :)

I totally agree!
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 06:41:27 AM »
@amigadave
Well, basicly I got the wrong idea on what was the concept you were wishing to elaborate on your previous post.

I see we agree on many things. And yes, you are right in that nearly an 80 percent of the money (and even more sometimes) Amiga users spend, is aimed at hardware. But then it is a chicken-egg situation: very little good Amiga software is available to buy -> few users buy that stuff, and they dont spend that much because there is not that much worth of it.

Yes, we need to support good resellers/developers/hardware_designers and their products. But, in the same way I must say, that when we usually come across one of those not so good ones, we unfortunately have to tolerate their rantings, and stand their "blame the Amiga community for my failure as a business venture". And they then add to that, the fact that as an example, no one supported their lunatic bounties, as an argument for their biased view.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 08:04:49 AM »
Sounds like what I am seeing in my personal life... 6 years ago I didn't know anyone with a Mac... Now I can think of 14 people off the top of my head who all own a Mac (who didn't before)... And all but 3 of them bought MacBooks... The other 3 bought iMacs... The shift to internet based applications has made the OS less important, and people want a hardware/software combo that just works.

I'm not including all the people I know who have iPhones an or iPads and a PC... @karlos give Objective-C a chance... If this trend continues it will likely be one of the dominant programming languages of the future ;)

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 10:52:49 AM »
Bringing up my old "We need an app store" thread...
If you have a number of $5 (max $30) apps/games easily available people will spend their money, generously. We just don't want to spend $80 on the classic disc based game or $130+ on some productivity software that may end up sucking.
I hope there is a lot development for AROS because I will happily jumped over to that, but only if it has some promising developers for it. If there is nothing, but complain that "there is no money", "it's not worth it, I could develop on system x", I will be hesitant.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;589463

Actually, to me it suggests that 1, there's a heck of a lot more competition in the Windows world, 2, there's a lot more piracy in the Windows world, and 3, there's a lot more free options in the Windows world. It in no way, shape, or form reflects the quality of Windows. While there's no denying that Apple has improved its market share, the ratio is still 15:1 (if being generous to Apple). A quick look at any of the graphics centric magazines for sale show how prominant Windows is in this field, as does 90%+ of the uni's that teach these things.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.