Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Suggestion: Some more tutorials would be nice  (Read 3389 times)

Description:

Offline ZeBeeDeeTopic starter

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
Suggestion: Some more tutorials would be nice
« on: January 20, 2007, 04:29:33 PM »
For instance, one that takes you by the hand for installing a CF-IDE adapter in place of the internal HDD in an A1200.

I've noticed that some people have managed to do such a thing and their guidence and knowledge would be invaluable to those (including me) who wish to do this kind of thing in the future.
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline maffoo

• Show only replies by maffoo
Re: Suggestion: Some more tutorials would be nice
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 05:54:59 PM »
If that's all you're looking for, you can get the adapters dirt cheap off Ebay (eg. mobilesupply). You literally plug the CF card into the adapter and connect the adapter to the IDE interface just as you would a hard disk, then use HDToolBox to partition it.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:03:09 PM »
Thats all well and good for those who have more than a basic understanding of such a topic. I'm aiming my request towards those those amongst us who don't but would want to learn more.

OK, how does one access the HDToolbox after you've plugged everything in? I already know the answer to this but others might not. There's one aspect of that not covered by your answer already :-)

What about trouble-shooting, errors and such? Would somebody be left in the lurch without a guide to help them? I would have thought it would be more easier giving the user something to read rather than to keep running backwards and forwards to the forum unless they are really really stuck.

Now do you see why some kind of tutorial just in this area alone and no doubt others would be welcome?  :-)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline maffoo

• Show only replies by maffoo
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 09:37:12 PM »
I see your point, perhaps a generic "how to install a hard drive in an A600/1200/4000" would be better though? The CF part is only a small variation, as there's very little to do apart from plugging it into a the adapter and setting it to master/slave (which is no different than on an IDE hard drive, so again would be covered in the generic guide.)

Might look into making such a guide tomorrow, if I have time.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 01:23:09 AM »
Cool  :-)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 07:01:32 AM »
Hi,

I had some spare time and have created a guide to installing a hard drive in an Amiga 1200 (or 600), along with partitioning it and installing Workbench. The guide can be found here.

I hope it's of use to someone... Didn't realise quite how many screenshots would be required! Slurp and KillRDB were very useful - yes, I grabbed most of the shots on a real Amiga! :crazy:

Note: this may not be its final resting place on the web, I'll post another note if the location needs to change.

- Ali