Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows, Arrg  (Read 6433 times)

Description:

Offline QuikSanzTopic starter

Windows, Arrg
« on: July 02, 2016, 04:51:50 PM »
Quick advice from any that may know. Had an XP machine that locked up after XP expired and nee to get files off the drive. Can I slave it and get around the OS part? Do I need to go into the Bios?

Chris

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
Re: Windows, Arrg
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 04:55:24 PM »
You can connect it to any other modern system to at least get read access to the files as long as they're not encrypted. The simplest solution is probably putting the drive in an external USB enclosure.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 05:01:11 PM »
I have the newer win 7 replacement open already. SCSI card and sound card in and working. Will it pop up right away without system reconfig? Looking to mount it in there and use the extra space and will wipe it when I have all files.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 06:26:12 PM »
When I needed to upgrade the SATA drive in my laptop, I bought a USB to SATA adapter and connected the new hard drive to that and copied the existing drive onto the new one before swapping drives.

Since your XP system will not boot, you will need to either install the drive in a functioning system, or use an external solution like the one I mentioned.

If your drive is unbootable, it is quite possible that there is some physical damage or damage to the file structure.
You should be able to copy simple media files, but I would not count on being able to recover program files.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 06:39:27 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;810548
When I needed to upgrade the SATA drive in my laptop, I bought a USB to SATA adapter and connected the new hard drive to that and copied the existing drive onto the new one before swapping drives.

Since your XP system will not boot, you will need to either install the drive in a functioning system, or use an external solution like the one I mentioned.

If your drive is unbootable, it is quite possible that there is some physical damage or damage to the file structure.
You should be able to copy simple media files, but I would not count on being able to recover program files.

Media is fine. I must have at least 1000 songs on there. A long as I can just plug the SATA drive down the chain, (higher number port), from the boot drive and I can red files off I'm golden.

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 06:51:54 PM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;810540
Quick advice from any that may know. Had an XP machine that locked up after XP expired and nee to get files off the drive. Can I slave it and get around the OS part? Do I need to go into the Bios?

Chris

sorry but i have to ask ... what do you mean with " locked up after XP expired"? just curious :-)

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 07:02:53 PM »
An easier solution would be just to download a Linux Live-CD or Live-USB (like Lubuntu), put it into the computer and boot from that.  You'd then have access to any drive installed on the PC and bypass Windows totally.  No need to remove the drive.  Files could be copied to a USB stick or other media.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 07:30:33 PM »
Quote from: Framiga;810552
sorry but i have to ask ... what do you mean with " locked up after XP expired"? just curious :-)

It said system spec has changed and windows XP needs to be revalidated or something like that. After that it refused to boot without info that was lost. It was an old PentiumD anyway, power hungry beast. Now I have Core2Duo, a bit more power friendly. Just wabt to get some files, wipe it and use for storage drive.

Chris

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 07:41:37 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;810553
An easier solution would be just to download a Linux Live-CD or Live-USB (like Lubuntu), put it into the computer and boot from that.  You'd then have access to any drive installed on the PC and bypass Windows totally.  No need to remove the drive.  Files could be copied to a USB stick or other media.
Actually the drive is already in the new system I guess I just plug it in and see what I get.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 09:52:48 PM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;810558
Actually the drive is already in the new system I guess I just plug it in and see what I get.

You should have no issues and Win 7, which is still available, makes a good substitute for XP.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 11:14:32 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;810562
You should have no issues and Win 7, which is still available, makes a good substitute for XP.

I've been using this machine for about a year but I just Inherited it. My sister has passed so it's mine. I looks to be a good motherboard but I need to finish getting sound and video of it and onto cards, free up the bus a bit.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 12:40:23 AM »
Plugged it in and looks good ;-) now the next thing is to get graphics off the MB. I have an old Sapphire HD2400 pro. hope this works, last step.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 01:09:37 AM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;810566
Plugged it in and looks good ;-) now the next thing is to get graphics off the MB. I have an old Sapphire HD2400 pro. hope this works, last step.

I haven't used anything that old recently, but at one time I did have a X1300 running under Win7 and that card is one generation older so the HD2400 should work.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 04:50:32 AM »
Ok, do I need to load the driver before install or do it the Amiga way and drop the screenmode before install, do it, and then load the driver?