Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aros ppc port to ps3.Now that we have homebrew.  (Read 5344 times)

Description:

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
Re: Aros ppc port to ps3.Now that we have homebrew.
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 21, 2011, 08:59:11 PM »
Now that the keys have been made public it is piracy that will explode onto the PS3 scene not homebrew sadly.

Having said that the PS3 is a closed quantified architecture (required) powerful (nice to have) and cheaply available and millions installed in homes (essential). Also the PS3 should be available for at least another 8 years to buy.

I think it's worth porting AROS to PS3. It does tick all the right boxes for a closed platform, just add keyboard and mouse.

I wish you good luck my friend. If someone ports something like Blitz Basic to AROS I will even write games for it too :)

Offline nikodrTopic starter

• Show only replies by nikodr
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2011, 12:33:09 AM »
Quote from: Cammy;608160
Good luck, nicodr! Although I don't have a PS3 myself, I think it's a wonderful idea to try and get Aros running on them. I know a few people who have PS3s who might like to run an operating system on it, and I think something like Broadway would work well on a games console.

Keep up the noble work, the Amiga community needs more people like you!

Cammy thank you for your kind words.Truth is it doesn't seem easy and from the few messages i read on the aros mail list it seems a bit difficult ,but we should try.It may not be easy but with the homebrew explode on ps3 we should do some ports.

The problem now is the bootloader pkg,we need an application that can initialize the gfx hardware,sound,keyboard usb,blue ray,to make it possible to use aros.I am looking into how the petit boot manager was used to initialize linux on ps3.

There are some include files that make calls to rsx but not a complete gfx driver in the sense that we can talk to the gfx card like we do on other systems.

Good thing is that i managed to install aros under ubuntu and play with the configuration,i am also checking the configuration files that come with the sdk of ps3 to see how to create a new application.

I will play with the linux hosted version for a while and see what i can learn,then slowly i will try to target the ps3 os,we are lucky because people in the homebrew scene have been very active these days,and day by day there is always something new on the ps3 jailbreak scene.I hope sooner or later i will have to mofify the arch directory of aros and insert what is needed for the ps3.

I believe this year will be the year of revolution for ps3 and aros :)

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2011, 12:43:16 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;608180
Now that the keys have been made public it is piracy that will explode onto the PS3 scene not homebrew sadly.

Having said that the PS3 is a closed quantified architecture (required) powerful (nice to have) and cheaply available and millions installed in homes (essential). Also the PS3 should be available for at least another 8 years to buy.

I think it's worth porting AROS to PS3. It does tick all the right boxes for a closed platform, just add keyboard and mouse.

I wish you good luck my friend. If someone ports something like Blitz Basic to AROS I will even write games for it too :)

Thank you for your kind words Digiman.Like i posted earlier to cammy it is not an easy road to do the port.But i believe soon there will be very easy.The people on the homebrew scene are very active and are releasing stuff all the time.Now that the hypervisor is not restricting access to the rsx and 3d acceleration is possible i hope that the programers behind the homebrew will post documentation how to properly initialize the gfx on ps3.There was a port of sdl by someone,there are various demos ( i saw one that uses cairo library),we are at the start.I will keep bothering those people that made that sdk for more info,and i will post at the aros mail list for help.

I really hope we can do something once the problem of gfx drivers and etc is solved.

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2011, 06:39:11 PM »
http://www.volny.cz/molej/ps3/index.htm

This is a port of uae for ps3 running under gameos,it has source files too.I will check them,maybe the right time has come for aros port,if i can see the way the emulated enviroment utilizes the chipset and gfx and ram and usb i can hopefully be able to start the port :)

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2011, 06:53:18 PM »
Great news on both counts.

Silly question but can I just put that binary ZIP file's contents on a USB stick/DVD-R and play Amiga games on my stock non-hacked PS3?

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2011, 07:58:37 PM »
I don't really see the point, but it can't do any arm.
The problem with the PS3 is that sooner or later, you won't be able to buy one with hackable firmware, so the AROS port will be limited to used hardware of questionable quality.  Modern game consoles aren't particularly reliable.