Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aros ppc port to ps3.Now that we have homebrew.  (Read 5406 times)

Description:

Offline nikodrTopic starter

• Show only replies by nikodr
Aros ppc port to ps3.Now that we have homebrew.
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:45:37 AM »
Ps3 was hacked.Sad days for sony.I now play my original games through my usb hds,i used geohots 3.55 firmware along with some other custom firmware.

Now we have the keys of geohot and we can sign any application and run it under gameos.

Since the portal of the homebrew world has been achieved on the game os of ps3 (and this time you dont need usb dongles),and since from what i can understand in the future the other os will be recovered (there is already a port of asbestos running on phat and slim ps3) here comes my question.:

When will the ps3 port of aros come?Ps3 has ppc,there is a ppc port of aros,now that we have homebrew,we have a very fast machine like that available to run amiga aros,

Would want to hear your opinions.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Re: Aros ppc port to ps3.Now that we have homebrew.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 12:03:01 PM »
I pass. I think AROS should stay on desktops. Why don't you port some of those homebrew games to AROS PPC instead.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 12:05:10 PM »
Ps3 was long advertized as having the otheros option to increase sales.So instead of being just a console for games it could be a productive machine.

So any port of an operating system is an option.

PS.Sony sucks as a company,for securtiy reasons they killed the otheros,but right now we can have it back.

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 12:38:36 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;607838
I pass. I think AROS should stay on desktops. Why don't you port some of those homebrew games to AROS PPC instead.

Thanks good that humans in the past do not said: I pass. I think humans should stay living in caves. Why don't we bringing here wild foods collected instead
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:44:19 PM by Fransexy_ »
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »
Quote from: nikodr;607833
Ps3 was hacked.Sad days for sony.I now play my original games through my usb hds,i used geohots 3.55 firmware along with some other custom firmware.

Now we have the keys of geohot and we can sign any application and run it under gameos.

Since the portal of the homebrew world has been achieved on the game os of ps3 (and this time you dont need usb dongles),and since from what i can understand in the future the other os will be recovered (there is already a port of asbestos running on phat and slim ps3) here comes my question.:

When will the ps3 port of aros come?Ps3 has ppc,there is a ppc port of aros,now that we have homebrew,we have a very fast machine like that available to run amiga aros,

Would want to hear your opinions.

let us know when youve done it
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:18:52 PM »
Remember the psp and gamecubes homebrew scene,we are just at the start,soon tons of applications will be ported and many things will be done.

Once there is an easy way to do cross compiling and port applications to the ps3 gameos (and i mean a standar way to do it under linux),i will try to find a way to port aros to ppc.Why not?

I think that is the future,to those who say that ps3 is only a gaming machine it is not.Sony advertized it -and i am saying this again- many years ago as having an otheros thing.

And in the end let's face it,users are in control.Sony tried to remove otheros,but the geohot exploits and custom firmwares enable us to do what we want to do in a machine that we payed so much money.

The closed source thing does no good in our ages.Let's hope that soon linux will be back on the ps3 in the form of a homebrew application,(now the only way to boot linux is via a programable usb dongle that runs asbestos)

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 02:50:22 PM »
Quote from: nikodr;607866
Remember the psp and gamecubes homebrew scene,we are just at the start,soon tons of applications will be ported and many things will be done.

There's a great media system for the Xbox, but other than that I can't think of a single other even modestly popular application to come out of console hacking. Sure, the self-satisfaction is probably a factor, but other than that what's the point?

I'd like to put this thought out there: the whole idea of running a desktop OS on a game console has very little traction and even less ROI.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 02:52:53 PM »
But dont you see?Ps3 ran linux quite well,it was advertized as an alternative game console :one that could be a serious computer too.With a keyboard and mouse and yellow dog linux it could do wonders.I even installed manually custom flash plugins (compile was horrible difficult to do).

ps3 is not only a game console.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 02:56:22 PM »
Quote from: nikodr;607875

Yes...  it is also a Blu-Ray player.  :D
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 02:59:13 PM »
Quote from: nikodr;607875
But dont you see?Ps3 ran linux quite well,it was advertized as an alternative game console :one that could be a serious computer too.With a keyboard and mouse and yellow dog linux it could do wonders.I even installed manually custom flash plugins (compile was horrible difficult to do).

PS2 also ran Linux, and that didn't go anywhere. Not sure if you were around in the 80's, but practically every single console of the time had some kind of "computer expansion" - none ever took off.

The problem is a console just isn't the first place people are going to go for a computer, especially when you can just buy an actual computer (even laptops) for the same money. There's simply no advantage unless you're a poor college student, and even most of those seem to opt for laptops. I won't even get started on the warranty issues.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 03:04:11 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;607880
PS2 also ran Linux, and that didn't go anywhere. Not sure if you were around in the 80's, but practically every single console of the time had some kind of "computer expansion" - none ever took off.

The problem is a console just isn't the first place people are going to go for a computer, especially when you can just buy an actual computer (even laptops) for the same money. There's simply no advantage unless you're a poor college student, and even most of those seem to opt for laptops. I won't even get started on the warranty issues.

Well i just believe that the homebrew revolution will change all that.

From a practical sense then there is no need to spend money on amigas or retro hobies?But we do spend large sums of money for our retro needs .Right?For the same ammount a ppc blizzard card costs one can buy a pc that is 10 times more powerful.But all is not like that.There is another kind of value here.

Ps3 is a powerful media console and gaming machine,having access to third party os like aros would not be bad.I believe if ppc ports exist and now that the ps3 is open all kind of posibilities are open.Also it is a cheap blue ray player.

Well certainly i understand now that companies like hyperion or the morphos team can't sell copies of their os on a port to ps3 as this would require an official acceptance from sony (and it would be expensive too).But for the homebrew community and for anything that goes under the linux way (that is gpl or open source) why not?Is sony going to sue us if we port aros to ps3?

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 03:19:23 PM »
The Ps3 has always been able to run Linux and now in game mode we no longer have to worry about the hypervisor restricting access to the RSX.
Graphics should no be much more powerful.
But I wouldn't overestimate the power of the Cell processor. If you only take the PPE into account (and don't consider the extra power provided by the SPEs) than the processing power of the 3.2 Ghz Cell, because of its in order execution pipeline is actually lower than the processing power of the 1.8 Ghz 7447 (G4) in my Powermac.
I do think its a neat system and it offers a good performance/price ratio.
And since their is a PPC Linux hosted version of AROS already, it shouldn't be too hard to get AROS running on a PS3.

The only negative I see is that I can assemble an X86 AROS system for only a little more and that port is the most polished. But so what, we're hobbyist and I say if it can be done, why not?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »
I would imagine for the cost of a PS3 you could buy a smilar powered computer.

Agreed XBMC being the only exception leave consoles to being consoles.

But you will probaly find some solace in lou_dias
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline nicholas

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 04:19:44 PM »
Yes that can happen under linux,but now that the hypervisor no longer prohibits access to the rsx and 3d acceleration is possible i think an aros version running under gameos without the need to load linux.Wouldn't that be better?