Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: From the busting out laughing department - Win Phone Team having a funeral for iPhone  (Read 6507 times)

Description:

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
Re: From the busting out laughing department - Win Phone Team having a funeral for iP
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 12, 2010, 03:29:20 AM »
@Pyromania

I can't speak to Windows 7 Mobile specifically, but in general, Microsoft doesn't censor developers. I love my iPhone for what it is (and hate it for what it isn't, i.e. a reliable phone), but Apple's control over software distribution is scary stuff.

Software distribution in general is about to get even scarier thanks to Vernor v. Autodesk. Say goodbye to used software. Say goodbye to libraries. Hell, say goodbye to retail, period. If we take the ruling to its ultimate conclusion, all software developers will have to license software directly to end users, as wholesalers and retailers won't be allowed to transfer their copies. That's stupid, of course, so new software licenses will have to include specific language allowing wholesale and commercial resale, but not individual resale. I'm really not sure how that's going to work in practice.

Offline PyromaniaTopic starter

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
Quote from: DonnyEMU;578887
As far as objective C I have been doing Objective-C since the NextStep boxes in 1993..

The same sad interface builder and NIB files are used today to do iphone apps. Nothing beats Expression Blend for Windows Phone's Video and animation drag and drop integration for the UI with it either even AppInventor..

If you guys want to really see how I feel about my experience with iPhone..

Check out my little slideshare.. 17,000 people have viewed it worldwide since July.. The fact is most of them agree with me..  I had wall street analysts and money people calling me for any opinion after this was published. Because I nailed the reality of it.. It's a comparable hello world.. if you can do the drag and drop video and sample data that Blend for Windows Phone can do and REST connectivity as quickly let me know..

We can have a race..

http://slidesha.re/95gJsv

The embeded URL for the video in the presentation is at..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMMbpWz5r08

The reality of smartphone tools is you can't do this with anything else out there..

I don't think dev tools matter this time, only 249 views so interest is very very low. We get more views on ancient Amiga Video Toaster videos. Too many customers were burned by Windows Mobile and will not buy Windows Phone 7. I think that makes it DOA for customers just like Kin. Perception is reality this time and millions love their iPhones and Android phones and see no reason to change. Bitch about Apple if you like but 253,000 applications is nothing to sneeze at. Windows Phone 7 will not reach this millstone for a long time if ever. I'm a Windows developer and can tell you first hand it's no picnic. The sun has already set on most developers making nice money on Windows anything.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:46:29 AM by Pyromania »

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester

Quote from: runequester;578893
http://www.osnews.com/story/23658/Android_Phone_Sales_Outpace_iPhone_Sales

Yup, I'm not really defending the iPhone. I think Windows Phone 7 will fail since it's stuck between a rock and a hard place. Win Phone 7 is stuck between Android, iPhone and Blackberry. No reason to buy Win 7 phone when so many other great and more mature options are out there. I respect MS for trying to reboot the horrible piece of crap that was Win Mobile 6.5 but they did not do enough. The tile interface is a mess, Win Phone 7 is DOA. I bet anyone $100 that it will fail hard in the marketplace. MS had a long time to get Windows Mobile right but they screwed it up time and time again. Times up!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:42:18 AM by Pyromania »

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Quote from: Pyromania;578894
Yup, I'm not really defending the iPhone. I think Windows Phone 7 will fail since it's stuck between a rock and a hard place. Win Phone 7 is stuck between Android, iPhone and Blackberry. No reason to buy Win 7 phone when so many other great and more mature options are out there. I respect MS for trying to reboot the horrible piece of crap that was Win Mobile 6.5 but they did not do enough. The tile interface is a mess, Win Phone 7 is DOA. I bet anyone $100 that it will fail hard in the marketplace. MS had a long time to get Windows Mobile right but they screwed it up time and time again. Times up!

I should have clarified. I posted the link less because I thought you were talking up the Iphone and more to point out the relative dominance of android, particularly because you have multiple manufacturers providing competition in that field

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
Pyro: Several things for you  to clue in to here: one content agregation and caching. The number of views don't include embeds... My stats since I posted look more like this...

http://www.uxmagic.com/blog/image.axd?picture=image_139.png

That was a google analytics capture from earlier today..

What do you develop for Windows ?? Would I know the product.. If I call the Microsoft office or DPE office will they know about it?

Time will tell.. You guys have been wrong more times than one.. I suspect all of the major apps will be out there, I have about 5 of them rolled into one right now with more extensibility on the way..

You guys always discount what I have to say here and I don't really feel a need to justify it but that's how I feel. I was hoping you guys would at least say something nice about my app, but this crowd here is to tough and hardened to enjoy everything out there and just have fun with technology.

Why do you guys always have to show things as winners or losers instead of being supportive of others here.. It's a little disappointing.. This is why the community has collapsed on itself.. It's not open to new things and new people..
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com

Offline krize

• Show only replies by krize
    • Horrordelic Records
My god ? Microsoft mobile ? I dont think this will be popular here, some will use it for sure.. But its M$, many of us work with it, but dont have to like it..

These commercial were horrible btw !!!
MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -

Offline Cammy

Quote from: Franko;578827
What's all the fuss about, reckon I'm the only person on this planet that doesn't own any kind of mobile phone... :)

Apart from my landline/home phone, my only other form of communication with the outside world are two old beans tins and a really long piece of string... :D

(although I only seem to get the sound of silence on it these days, wonder what happened to my imaginary friend.. :( )

Hey Franko, you're not the only person without one! Being deaf and having no social life, I don't really see the point of owning a mobile phone, they seem like well marketed money pits to me. If I need a portable computer I can take anywhere, I'll use my unbranded netbook running Aros and Linux.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Quote from: Cammy;578907
Hey Franko, you're not the only person without one! Being deaf and having no social life, I don't really see the point of owning a mobile phone, they seem like well marketed money pits to me. If I need a portable computer I can take anywhere, I'll use my unbranded netbook running Aros and Linux.

Wow... proof at last, there are at least two of us on the planet who don't need or use a mobile... :)

Now I can tell my doctors, I'm not so strange after all... :D

Your still a bit trendy though, the closest thing I've got to a netbook or laptop is my old Casio pocket calculator... :roflmao:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
Count me in as one of those with no interest in mobile phones. I do have a 6 year old mobile, but its used exclusively as a telephone (I have no landline) and seldomly. Ironically though it's (mobile phones) becoming one of the best platforms for the sort or development Im interested in (retro style gaming). Despite this though Im in no rush to waste any money on one,... the market is too unstable at the moment and I'll wait for things to become clearer before I even consider buying one (and even then it'll be more to replace my telephone than any of the more modern functionality provided).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline scuzzb494

I don't have a mobile phone. I don`t therefore have a mobile telephone number. I really can`t be bothered .... it's just another spam facility to pedal advertising, thinly disguised as a social tool.

As to mini computers... I just don`t get that. Don't even use a laptop. The company gave me a brand new laptop... Don`t tell them but its by the TV collecting dust.. Never been used.

I love computers though. Real computers for doing interesting purposeful stuff. Yet seriously I don't have 'one' computer. :-)

As to Microshite.... I had to box and bag the Elite... They wanted me to subscribe to their live crap or I wouldn`t be able to play. Thing is that's just another advertising tool. Not interested. Never will be.

PS: And Apple are even worse than MS. You buy Quicktime you get stuffed with iTunes. You see iTunes downloads and then asks you if you want to update. NO GO AWAY. And then evil Bonjour which kicks me out of applications when they don`t even ask. Its a handshaking torrent thing. And then there is real crappy Adobe. Any Adobe product that insists on checking for updates... every time you use it. I don`t have a PDF reader here for that reason. I really wish Apple would curl up into a corner and die like they should have done years ago. I have no idea who subsidises their rubbish. Then that would just leave the giant MS to fall over. It will happen. One day.

My path with computing parted years ago when the community decided in favour of a glorified home entertainments facility driven by advertising and 'online' ... all the time. Not interested.

Offline kolla

I'm in fact reading this thread on my phone, trusty old SE p1i with opera mini, while I'm on the bus. I'd love to have a new phone, but I do have some critiria that need to be satisfied:
* simple way to switch on/off battery sucking features like 3G+/wifi etc. GPRS over GSM is quite sufficient most of the time and uses a fraction of power.
* stylus input, I type a heck lot faster with stylus than I do with onscreen keyboards, and a bonus is that I don't have to look at phone while typing - great for meetings.
* fully localized, on my p1i I can easily switch between latin and cyrillic input for example.
* fully functional mail client that can handle multiple IMAP accounts each with large number of folders that contain tens and hudreds of thousand emails. ProfiMail does this on my p1i today, the iPhone mail app is a joke and ibizmail is just slightly better.
* integraton of apps. One addressbook for all apps, user defined default app for web, mail etc. Easy methods for following certain data from one app to the next, connecting addressbook entries in textnotes, calendar entries etc.
* battery life, battery life and more battery life. This p1i can last about a week if I just use it for occational web/mail over GPRS.

I do not need thousands of apps, I just need a handfull, but they must work well and not be just silly lightweight toy apps like they typically are :p
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 12:50:46 PM by kolla »
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
Quote from: scuzzb494;578918
I don't have a mobile phone. I don`t therefore have a mobile telephone number. I really can`t be bothered .... it's just another spam facility to pedal advertising, thinly disguised as a social tool.

As to mini computers... I just don`t get that. Don't even use a laptop. The company gave me a brand new laptop... Don`t tell them but its by the TV collecting dust.. Never been used.

I love computers though. Real computers for doing interesting purposeful stuff. Yet seriously I don't have 'one' computer. :-)

As to Microshite.... I had to box and bag the Elite... They wanted me to subscribe to their live crap or I wouldn`t be able to play. Thing is that's just another advertising tool. Not interested. Never will be.

PS: And Apple are even worse than MS. You buy Quicktime you get stuffed with iTunes. You see iTunes downloads and then asks you if you want to update. NO GO AWAY. And then evil Bonjour which kicks me out of applications when they don`t even ask. Its a handshaking torrent thing. And then there is real crappy Adobe. Any Adobe product that insists on checking for updates... every time you use it. I don`t have a PDF reader here for that reason. I really wish Apple would curl up into a corner and die like they should have done years ago. I have no idea who subsidises their rubbish. Then that would just leave the giant MS to fall over. It will happen. One day.

My path with computing parted years ago when the community decided in favour of a glorified home entertainments facility driven by advertising and 'online' ... all the time. Not interested.

Why not simply turn off (or not enable in the 1st place) the option to be prompted if there's updates available ?
Not once have I received spam on my mobile phone. I use my xbox360 without a live subscription, Adobe products dont prompt me to update and I have quicktime installed without iTunes,...... I mean no offense, but it sounds like youre letting things influence your life based on your misconceptions. Not that I care, far be it for me to decide how you should do things, but not one thing you said rang true for me.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

@DonnyEMU

LOL, your surprised most people don't care about Windows Phone 7 on an alternate platform forum? We are just trying to save you the headache of wasting your time developing for a phone no one is going to buy. But if you like a pocket full of dust balls go for it. Ten years of Windows mobile failures was not enough for you?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:21:59 PM by Pyromania »

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
To be fair I am developing desktop and console versions of this for the Mac and PC and iPhone and Android.. You guys need to know that this is not the same operating system or framework as the old Windows Mobile too.. There are two development environments for it, XNA (as in Xbox 360 and it comes with X-box live built in, with a GPU capable of handling X-Box ports with great shader technology etc.) and the other environment is Silverlight which I have been using before. Calling it Windows Mobile is referring to a completely different operating system underneath (the compact .net framework isn't even the same).. I am not worried because Windows Phone 7 is only one of my targets..

If I can get video streaming working well enough AROS might be another ;-)

-Don
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com