Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most loved and most hated consoles?  (Read 6453 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Most loved and most hated consoles?
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2010, 06:56:12 PM »
Oh yes, 8-bit + 8-bit = raw power.

Let me not forget the Turbo GFX 16! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Pentad

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2010, 07:33:26 PM »
I'm not sensing a lot of love for the Apple Pippin here....C'mon, the AppleJack controller rocked!

;-)

-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010, 07:40:03 PM »
Fun topic! I accidently stumbled across my Dreamcast today, such a nice console, and very innovative games aswell. One of my favorites for sure. I also play a lot on my DS, its fun and it has some very original games. Last on my nomination list is the Neo Geo pocket: although it lacks a backlight, it was one of the first proper handhelds in my opinion, despite the fact I loved the Game Gear back in the days.

Then again, now that I think of it.. I'm still trying to get hold of a complete megadrive+mega cd+32x set, the most expandable console of 'em all.
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline NorthWay

• Show only replies by NorthWay
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2010, 07:43:01 PM »
Colecovision.

Which is a totally irrational and nonsense chioce when you look at the hw, but Coleco did one thing that is very much to their credit: They sold it on the strength of the software. Which is how it should be of course, but I have (since) always shopped hardware based on its potential (which is why I like the Atari 7800 too).

I think I still have some of the old brochures around. They really knew how to sell their wares.
I actually rented a CV a few times. Real fine version of Cosmic Avenger.

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2010, 07:46:12 PM »
Quote from: RMK305;558868
Atari 2600 has a special place in my heart as it was my first ever machine....and what a machine at the time.

It was the second machine for me and brother. The first one was a flavor of a certain TV Game with Pong and Pong variants.

I still remember when my brother got his 2600. We connected everything, put in the Defender II (?) cartridge and turned on, it looked so cool, except we could only shoot and not control the craft. After a few days of sadness one of us reconnected the stick into the other port...... :D
I have spoken !

Offline RMK305

• Show only replies by RMK305
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2010, 09:33:53 PM »
Quote from: Einstein;558884

I still remember when my brother got his 2600. We connected everything, put in the Defender II (?) cartridge and turned on, it looked so cool, except we could only shoot and not control the craft. After a few days of sadness one of us reconnected the stick into the other port...... :D

Ah that's brilliant.

I think I'll have to find a place to set mine up. It's a machine I have had from new that isn't setup. The other consoles I have and enjoy I bought second hand from ePay. Nes, Mega Drive (Genesis) and the CD32. The NES, I always wanted but back in the day I could only have 1 machine and that was the Amiga 500. The CD32 I somehow got obsessed with it overnight and dicided I had to have one. The Mega Drive was after a friends bought one on ePay and I got one boxed with about 56 games for around £55, so it was a bargain.
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2010, 09:41:59 PM »
Wii's made before March '08 since they are hackable and can emulate every console up to the PS1/N64/Saturn.

Loved my Odyssey 2 and my Wii can emulate it!

Did not like:
PS1:  Piece of Siht1 is what is should have been called: weak 3D, weak load times, poor drive quality, the N64 owned it  A CD32 with an '030+fpu could have out performed the PS1....

PS2: or PoS#2, the dual-shock is not a good controller, gamecube's and Xbox's were better.  Poor reliability just like the PoS#1.  I have 1 friend that bought 4 PS2's over time...and Sony fanboys will knock the 360, atleast they only seem to break(overheat) once.

TurboGrafix16: lousy controllers

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2010, 11:01:59 PM »
Favorites: never met a console I didn't like, and yes I had a jaguar, virtual boy, and a few others that are quite notorious. Dreamcast does have a special place.

Least favorite: ones that are broken or I have no games for...

I currently have 9? consoles in my collection, oh wait I have handhelds too, total of thirteen. Nope 15 I forgot my ps2 and xbox.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:02:46 PM by KThunder »
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2010, 11:56:09 PM »
1. Gamecube.  Small enough to be easily portable, four player built in which is supported by many games, fast load times, some of the best in genre games for that generation were Nintendo exclusives, brilliant controller.  Recently I got a component cable, and am playing it on an LCD in 16x9 progressive scan.  Huge improvement in graphics.  F-Zero looks next-gen.  If you have a Wii ( I don't) then get the component cables and build a collection of NGC games, you won't regret it.

2. N64

3.  PS2.  For PES only.

BTW lots of posts for DC.  Strange considering it failed badly.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2010, 12:01:44 AM »
With the DC I think Sega knew they didn't have the bank-account to compete with Sony et al. They knew they could compete with software, and they have done really well.
Thats the reason Nintendo released the wii. They couldn't afford to compete toe to toe with MS and Sony so they altered the game. Now after selling millions of Wiis and games I think they have the cash to produce a much more powerful system.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2010, 12:33:45 AM »
I have many favorites and hates:

Favs
Nintendo:
NES-Zelda rules and you can't beat the classics
SNES- Starfox, Super Metroid, many more jewels
N64- Oot, Majora's Mask and Goldeneye, ergonomic controller
GCN- Twilight Princess, Starfox Assault, cute cube

Sega:
Genesis (and CD/32x): Sonic CD, Shadow Squadron, Sonic 1-3.
Saturn: VF2, NiGHTS, Sonic R, Panzer Dragoon
Dreamcast: Easy to pirate, dual blade controller, VMU, Sonic AdV 1&2, Virtual On:OT, many more

Hated:
Sony PS series: All cruddy poor construction, over priced
Nomad: Poor battery life, bad caps
Atari 7200: Weaker than 5800, bad gfx
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline tone007

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2010, 01:12:32 AM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;558931
Atari 7200: Weaker than 5800, bad gfx

Hated them so much you refuse to even get their names right!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2010, 01:25:47 AM »
I loved my old Dreamcast......what a great little console for the time and my current console, a 360 is of course awesome.

I thought the N64 was crap (too blury), the Saturn's 3D looked crappy compared to the PS1 (although the actually hardware looked cooler) and the PS2 graphics were a mess (I actually prefered my Dreamcast's chipset).
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2010, 01:28:31 AM »
Quote from: foleyjo;558783
c64-gs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64_Games_System

If you are going to quote something and put a link at least get it right... C64 is not a console...

You linked a C64-GS :P
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2010, 02:00:54 AM »
Quote from: tone007;558938
Hated them so much you refuse to even get their names right!

Ah, my fault: Dumb and dumber are their names aren't they? Or was it 5200 and 7800? Naw, it was dumb and dumber :)

the Saturn's 3D looked crappy compared to the PS1 (although the actually hardware looked cooler)

Actually, the HW of the Saturn was better, but it was under utilized due to bad dev kits, poor third party games and bad choice of memory management (For instance, only one SH-2 could access mem registers at a time, VF2 used one CPU for each player)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 02:04:44 AM by dreamcast270mhz »
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline Tension

« Reply #44 from previous page: May 17, 2010, 02:23:17 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;558939

I thought the N64 was crap (too blury)

N64 = Goldeneye = Possibly the best game ever on any platform ever. Ever.

Apart from that, I completely agree with you.