Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My evening with Commodore USA, LLC  (Read 40146 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
My evening with Commodore USA, LLC
« on: February 06, 2011, 01:41:35 AM »
Before I get started let me get something out of the way. I am no investigative journalist and I have no explosive news to report. If that is what you were expecting, you should probably stop reading now. Most of what is written here is probably already known by anyone closely following this new company. The purpose if this report is not a detailed technical analysis of the upcoming product, but rather an overview of the meeting and what the company was willing to demonstrate.

On February 3rd, 2011 Barry Altman, CEO of Commodore USA, LLC, was kind enough to invite me into his house to discuss the company, staff and upcoming products. I was invited to see some details of what is going on publicly and behind the scenes, so we could report back to the community our opinion good bad or indifferent. I brought along Cybereye, a long time friend and former business partner of mine. Also in attendance was Dammy, who drove down from central Florida. Dammy presented Barry with a Black Troll tee shirt as a gift. Moochie also sat in on the meeting and made sure his presence was known in a very friendly way.

Barry gave us a history of himself and his prior and current businesses. Barry founded Cabletech, which was an extremely successful company.

So successful that unfortunately you can find Barry Altman's on the official list of Bernie Madoff’s victims. We saw original documents showing the amount of the loss, needless to say this was a very large amount of money. Unlike many other Modoff victims, he did not lose everything. Barry’s history with  Homecraft, LLC was also discussed. Barry was retired when he got an idea for a specific type of furniture, the result was another highly successful company. More recently while enjoying semi-retirement again, the idea of relaunching Commodore as a unique brand came to him. Barry is a former Commodore 64 and Amiga/Video Toaster user. Commodore 64 computers were even in use at Cabletech, as this picture shows.

That is Barry sitting in front of a Commodore 64.

An interesting TV segment from the 80’s was shown to us that focused on VC-II encryption and Cabletech. Barry and his brother were interviewed heavily. Thousands of emails were shown. Website feedback emails number in the thousands, mostly positive or neutral. Email correspondence with a very, very major media company was shown. Commercials and print ads were shown as were additional commercial concepts. Co-branding was discussed as was product placement. The only thing we were asked not to repeat were the names of certain companies discussed and no, I will not name them.

All of the Commodore named products were available for viewing. The Commodore 64x prototype is very high quality. I know the Commodore 64 and this case replica looks near perfect.

The injection molding process was discussed and the final keyboard prototype was shown. The keyboard has to be custom designed for the retro case. Costs were explained and invoices were shown. There is real money being put into developing this product, costs are in the 6 figures for the case and keyboard alone. The other models shown such as the Phoenix and Vic line have customizations that exceed slapping a label on an existing product. Workbench 5 was explained to be proceeding, but the possibility exists the name may change before launch. No surprise, there is an expectation that most customers will simply order Windows 7. The Commodore Amiga line was discussed. Each model will be available with a choice of configurations. They are looking into the possibility of having a long, narrow LED that extends along the front of the case. Software could use this LED for animations or other purposes.

In conclusion, I found nothing to suggest nefarious intentions that some suspect. On the other hand, we were shown plenty of evidence to suggest the company is moving forward as fast as they can to get product on the market and to promote the product. If Commodore USA is able to execute on their current vision and suggested partners, things will get very interesting. While Commodore USA is currently a licensee for the Commodore and Amiga name, the intention is to own these companies outright one day and to be a publicly traded company on a major exchange. Barry asks that he not be judged by the failures, scams and vapor of the past but rather by his product when it is released.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. Dammy or I should be able to answer.

Click HERE to see the photo album for this visit.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
Re: My evening with Commodore USA, LLC
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 01:48:57 AM »
Thanks on the report, Red! Nice job !

Looking forward to seeing one of those products on my desk in the future :)

While Commodore USA is currently a licensee for the Commodore and Amiga  name, the intention is to own these companies outright one day and to be  a publicly traded company on a major exchange

Hell YES! :D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 01:55:37 AM by WolfToTheMoon »

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 02:00:31 AM »
Lots of words Jim that just confirms that this man is a -DELETE-.

If he wants to sell commodore pc's then great.

If he wants to sell Amiga cases for Amiga computers then great.

If he wants to <> the Amiga community and undermine the official Amiga then screw him and all involved with him. -DELETE-
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:20:49 AM by redrumloa »
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 02:02:32 AM »
Thanks Red.
The c64 machine looks great and has marketability. I'm interested.

The Amiga line, not so much... There's just nothing Amiga about it.
If they have the ability to make a computer look so much like the original c64, I'm wonder why they didn't go that route with the Amiga branded ones.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 02:03:02 AM »
Just one question.

Which lodge does Barry belong to?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 02:03:13 AM »
Sorry Red, not putting your report down or being disrespectful, but it's gotta go down as a non-event in my books... :(

Guess we'll just have to put up with the hype and constant bickering from now on... :)

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 02:04:57 AM »
Quote from: CSixx;612896
If they have the ability to make a computer look so much like the original c64, I'm wonder why they didn't go that route with the Amiga branded ones.

There will be Amiga replicas too, very possibly. It's being discussed on c-a.org... :)

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 02:05:01 AM »
Is it not fair to say the only unique thing is the C64 keyboard?

The rest is no different to previous years with C= netbooks and MP3 players by the C= IP owners. Emulation on custom cased x86 PCs

(you stated he wanted something unique)

Offline Digiman

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 02:11:28 AM »
Quote from: CSixx;612896
Thanks Red.
The c64 machine looks great and has marketability. I'm interested.

The Amiga line, not so much... There's just nothing Amiga about it.

I have two A2000s which are dead as a dodo. But I can purchase an old Athlon motherboard with PS/2 keyboard socket, directly connect my A2000 keyboards with a 5pin DIN adaptor and then stick it all back together to use Amiga keyboard inside A2000 casing but run AROS on a 64bit PC system :)

The C64 was a bit more tricky requiring mini ITX, Keyrah etc etc. Here's a question though, will they be building in a 9pin D-connector adaptor on there so you could play a two player game with a couple of REAL competition pro joysticks not that USB retarded competition pro?

Little things like that would go a long way.

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 02:12:59 AM »
Check out the badass Chevette in the one picture, man, I wish mine didn't get totaled when some bitch ran into it while it was parked on the street.
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 02:19:52 AM »
Nice, I am impressed. This guy knows a thing or two about starting companies. This is what we have needed for 15yrs, someone interested, with money, and business sense.

(obviously) can't please everyone though.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 02:24:45 AM »
Hmm, interesting. While I retain my dour view of putting a PC in a pretty case and calling it an Amiga, it's at least good to hear some evidence for this being an honest-to-God project and not a fly-by-night operation. I'd rather find someone to be a misguided honest man than a huckster operating under the guise of things I'd actually like to see.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Digiman

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 02:26:53 AM »
Quote from: KThunder;612908
Nice, I am impressed. This guy knows a thing or two about starting companies. This is what we have needed for 15yrs, someone interested, with money, and business sense.

(obviously) can't please everyone though.

Well I don't need a Commodore PC, if I did I would have bought one between 1985-1994 instead of my various Amigas ;)

Yes we need someone with business sense, and someone with money I agree. We just need someone to build an actual Amiga of some sort (ie runs MOS/OS4) not a custom PC with pre-installed VICE/UAE emulator :roflmao:

As for undermining x1000....are people really that dumb to think C= USA products will run MOS/OS4?

Offline KThunder

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 02:28:05 AM »
Well lets say he is successful with this thing and is sincere about buying the IP. AI etc. are pretty much useless, less than useless really they have gotten in the way of others actually developing stuff for the Amiga.

Actual leadership and direction for the Amiga brand
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 02:32:14 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;612911
... We just need someone to build an actual Amiga of some sort (ie runs MOS/OS4) not a custom PC with pre-installed VICE/UAE emulator :roflmao:

There are many of us that consider Aros to be as much Amiga as MOS/OS4.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)