Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga vs PC  (Read 32363 times)

Description:

Offline Free2NukeuTopic starter

• Show only replies by Free2Nukeu
Amiga vs PC
« on: August 10, 2010, 09:37:20 PM »
WOAAAHH, now before everyone jumps on me and pummels me into the ground i have to ask this question. but before I do here is my background. I started with a vic 20 then went to the Commodore 64 later i bought an amiga 500, then a 1200 then was given another 1200 and used an amiga 2000 before buying my own amiga4000 030 which if you look at my other posts you can see is now a 060 cyberstorm 200mhzppc with picaso iv and paloma module and a zoro iii expansion board with more ram than i thought possible on an amiga? over 104,000,000bytes? all my cards are maxed out is what im trying to say. now i use a 6400 amd dualcore pc with 4gb ram and a 8800gtx 768mb graphic card. now i loved my 4000 and is why im trying to make it work again but just how far behind is an amiga to a pc in real terms? i left the community then amiga format left us and didnt bother with the amigaone and dont know anything about the amiga since then. just what would an amiga have to improve to be on equal (or even) better than a pc in todays speed vs software world? again i always preffered my amigas than pcs but eventually had to goto the dark side.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: Amiga vs PC
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »
There is no competition between Amiga and PC, that died with Commodore all those years ago.  Today people have multiple computers to do their tasks, plus tablets, mobile phones and the like.  It's a hobby.

Say you collected Model Ts, would you post a Model T v Holden Commodore thread?  No, the enjoyment you get out of your Model T is different to the utility that you get out of your Holden Commodore and a trip to Costco...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:47:09 PM by persia »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:25:49 PM »
Quote from: Free2Nukeu;574233
just how far behind is an amiga to a pc in real terms? [...] just what would an amiga have to improve to be on equal (or even) better than a pc in todays speed vs software world?

Again, it's a completely crazy question to ponder.  The Amiga isn't even remotely similar to a modern PC.  And if you want to try to use one as such, you're in for a very rough ride.  That 4000/060/ppc you have has less processor and RAM than your average cell phone, nowadays.  Now take a deep breath and wait for that to really sink in.  Then wait a little longer and realize just how insane that really is.

The industry went a different direction.  The Amiga is a relic from an old possible future that didn't happen.

Offline Sparky

• Show only replies by Sparky
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 10:39:48 PM »
I'm afraid I also have to point out that the Amiga is technologically soooooooooooooo far behind the "PC" architecture it's just not funny.  
Just use the Amiga for what you used to use it for all those years ago and have fun with it, and don't expect to be watching Youtube, playing H.264 encoded videos all while calculating pi to 10billion decimal points.

(I fully expect a rabid Amigan to point out that they do all of the above every day on their upgraded A600)  ;-)

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:06:15 PM »
The Amiga is a PC

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:18:44 PM »
Quote from: Sparky;574241
I'm afraid I also have to point out that the Amiga is technologically soooooooooooooo far behind the "PC" architecture it's just not funny.  
Just use the Amiga for what you used to use it for all those years ago and have fun with it, and don't expect to be watching Youtube, playing H.264 encoded videos all while calculating pi to 10billion decimal points.

(I fully expect a rabid Amigan to point out that they do all of the above every day on their upgraded A600)  ;-)

One very rabid Amigan responding... :swords:

If your one of those sad, sad people who use a PC / MAC / Mobile Phone or any other modern day piece of crapnology , then good luck to you. :)

The true Amigan uses real Amiga hardware, for the simple fact that it is and was the best home computer ever created. They learn not just how to play games on it but how the actual hardware and OS works, they use it for creativity and using their minds to come up with some brilliant and ingenious solutions to keep the thing up and running. :)

Now if you simply want to play games that all look the same. have no gameplay and think that cos the graphics look cool, then by all means stick to your Pee,Cee's Crapple Macs and eggBoxes.

Or if you just want to point and click on something and hope it works, and when it doesn't you sit there staring blankly at the screen, because you've never used you brain to figure out how it works or how to solve the problem. then that what comes of using such boring mundane technology.

But why oh why, if these Pee'Cees and Craple Macs are so good do you run an Amiga emulator on them... :huh:

The answer... cos you know deep down in your heart that the Amiga is better than the machine your running the emulator on... :roflmao:

Bring back the good old day's when computers were made of wood and ran on steam... :biglaugh:

Bit of an Ironic thought here... I'm typing this on my Crapple Mac... :o

Offline tone007

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 11:56:15 PM »
Quote from: Franko;574247

Sounds more like hypocrisy than irony, to me!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 12:13:43 AM »
Hi,

The Amiga can't hold a candle to todays modern PC. The modern PC has faster and more memory, hard drives that are 10 times faster for reading and writing data, graphic cards that put the Amiga's AGA chips to shame, sound that is just about like the band played it and processing power beyond belief, but also the PC has no soul, it doesn't have people that stand behind it, cherish it and love turning it on, it doesn't have games that rock your soul like the Mackey's Megaball, Scorched Tanks and Soliton.

Is the PC really that much faster, it moves pixels and does math calculations at blinding speed something the Amiga will probably never do, but when you hit the on switch, it loads in faster than a Bill Gates bloated windows 7 system, it has your files up on the screen faster than a PC and is ready to use. It will run serveral programs at the same time without wimpering.

It is as Franko said better than the machine your running your emulator on.

AND

besides that

It is just plain fun.

Now if only someone could come up with some modern day printer drivers the Amiga would probably be real cool and could get some work done     again.

Why do I run an emulator on my PC?

Simple, to keep from wearing out my Amiga's. I couldn't bear to see them die.

How many of you can say that about your PC or MAC?

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 12:16:52 AM »
Quote from: Franko;574247
One very rabid Amigan responding... :swords:

If your one of those sad, sad people who use a PC / MAC / Mobile Phone or any other modern day piece of crapnology , then good luck to you. :)
I'd rather be one of those sad but productive people typing on your so called crap, than be flailing around on a computer that has charm, but isn't practical for me anymore.  If I tried doing 6502/z80 assembly and cross development on an Amiga, I'd have slashed my wrists awhile ago.

That being sad, it's cool to see some people who use the thing as a day to day machine still.  I can't do it since it doesn't suit my needs.

The true Amigan uses real Amiga hardware, for the simple fact that it is and was the best home computer ever created. They learn not just how to play games on it but how the actual hardware and OS works, they use it for creativity and using their minds to come up with some brilliant and ingenious solutions to keep the thing up and running. :)
The price to get a solid Amiga up and running these days is pretty bad.  and once you're done, you'll still find 5+ year old modern hardware outperforms it.  The Amiga can't do like 32 channel stereo audio w/ MIDI and line-in recording out of box, and once you set it up to attempt it, it'll still yield a worse experience than a PC running Fruity Loops or whatever you like to use.

It also can't play the latest 3D games.  If it was the best thing ever it would somehow magically be able to.

Such is the nature of 20+ year old hardware.  I think the Amiga engineers would point and laugh at you for spewing this nonsense.  They'd be reading this from a PC of some sort for sure.

Now if you simply want to play games that all look the same. have no gameplay and think that cos the graphics look cool, then by all means stick to your Pee,Cee's Crapple Macs and eggBoxes.
Macs don't play games, everyone knows that.

If you think they all look the same and have no gameplay, then you're a moron and should remove your penis from your Amiga for a day or two and play some new games.

also, your name-spinning is pretty horrible.  eggbox? really?  Is that the best you could come up with?  I thought since you're such an AMIGAN, you'd be able to problem solve a better insult for an Xbox.
Or if you just want to point and click on something and hope it works, and when it doesn't you sit there staring blankly at the screen, because you've never used you brain to figure out how it works or how to solve the problem. then that what comes of using such boring mundane technology.
So you're saying that unless you have gone through the hassle of setting up an Amiga, you are unable to solve problems?  

also, it isn't like the Amiga is void of problems.  It's got its fair share of "WTF" moments.

But why oh why, if these Pee'Cees and Craple Macs are so good do you run an Amiga emulator on them... :huh:
The real answer:  For the same reason you run a C64, NES, Sega or Atari emulator on your PC:  You can't be arsed to fuck around with ancient hardware that takes up time/space, when a fast solution is right there and all you want to do is play a few games and then get on with life.

The answer... cos you know deep down in your heart that the Amiga is better than the machine your running the emulator on... :roflmao:
If its better, how come you can't emulate Windows 7 on it, dingus.

That explains alot.  and its not irony, its hypocrisy.

Quote from: smerf;574253
How many of you can say that about your PC or MAC?

smerf

I can.  Solid state drive, 8gb ram, Phenom II X6 w/ Windows 7.

boots up faster than I can say "Franko's on meth"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:28:58 AM by Arkhan »
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Franko

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 12:57:00 AM »
Quote from: Arkhan;574255
I'd rather be one of those sad but productive people typing on your so called crap, than be flailing around on a computer that has charm, but isn't practical for me anymore.  If I tried doing 6502/z80 assembly and cross development on an Amiga, I'd have slashed my wrists awhile ago.

That being sad, it's cool to see some people who use the thing as a day to day machine still.  I can't do it since it doesn't suit my needs.

Why is it 99.9% of you folks in the good ole U S of A, have not the tinyist bit of sense of humor... :)

I mean after all you voted in George. W. Bush, Good old Ronnie RayGun and eat things called weaners... :)

That to me proves you must have a very good sense of humor, lurking about somewhere in your minds... :lol:

I can indeed be arsed to play my SNES games on the original console and spend anything up to £100 per game just to buy the old classic RPG games for this little beauty of a machine... :)

And why on earth would a dingus like me be sad enough to want to use MickySoft Windoze OS or even a Pee'Cee in the first place... :)

If your quite happy with whatever you use then, good for you. Im quite happy with what I use, so good for me, but a good old exchange of very differing points of view, is just what's needed in these days of the sheep who queue up for 3 days to buy the latest Crapple gadget just to look cool and trendy whether it even works or not. :)

Irony or Hypocrisy... I like to think I have a bit of both, as like the Amiga I too can multitask... :)

Offline Arkhan

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 01:03:41 AM »
Quote from: Franko;574266
Why is it 99.9% of you folks in the good ole U S of A, have not the tinyist bit of sense of humor... :)

I mean after all you voted in George. W. Bush, Good old Ronnie RayGun and eat things called weaners... :)

That to me proves you must have a very good sense of humor, lurking about somewhere in your minds... :lol:

Man your play on words are just TOO CLEVER.

just kidding, they blow.

I can indeed be arsed to play my SNES games on the original console and spend anything up to £100 per game just to buy the old classic RPG games for this little beauty of a machine... :)

Sucks to be you.  I own them all already.  and we weren't talking about SNES, we were talking about getting an Amiga up and running.  The SNES works out of box to its fullest potential.   You plug it in and go.  The end. Success.

And why on earth would a dingus like me be sad enough to want to use MickySoft Windoze OS or even a Pee'Cee in the first place... :)

I don't know, you said you were using a mac.  You make no sense.  

and jesus christ youre like 45.  Get better insults for Microsoft.  Every time you type mickysoft you sound like you need a helmet, or that you're already wearing one and the chin strap is too tight.

If your quite happy with whatever you use then, good for you. Im quite happy with what I use, so good for me, but a good old exchange of very differing points of view, is just what's needed in these days of the sheep who queue up for 3 days to buy the latest Crapple gadget just to look cool and trendy whether it even works or not. :)

Well, you're the one calling us sad and implying were dumb for not being balls deep in an Amiga 24/7.

Irony or Hypocrisy... I like to think I have a bit of both, as like the Amiga I too can multitask... :)

Don't multitask too hard, you might get man batter on the hardware.

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Franko

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 01:09:59 AM »
With all you little sexual innuendoes, methinks that your a bit frustrated... :)

Why not try taking your stubby little fingers of the keyboard for a while and giving yourself a bit of light relief... :)

Offline Arkhan

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 01:25:03 AM »
Quote from: Franko;574271
With all you little sexual innuendoes, methinks that your a bit frustrated... :)

Why not try taking your stubby little fingers of the keyboard for a while and giving yourself a bit of light relief... :)

lol, stubby fingers.  You sure are a riot.

Don't look stubby to me.  

and yes that's a mickey table cloth, and no I don't give a rats ass if someone thinks its homo.

PS: Already relieved myself.  played some Elvira, if yknow what im sayin.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 01:27:16 AM »
>Warning...may cause significant flaming (I hope not)<

I think it kinda depends on exactly what you see amiga as. For me, Aros as a rewrite of os3.x, counts. And given the advances the Aros team has made, I don't think there is any reason Aros can't be a perfectly usable desktop os in just a few years time.

The biggest difference between Aros, Morphos, and OS4 is the same difference between a modern pc and a PPC amiga. Aros has access to gigabytes of ram, Gigahertz multicore cpus etc. etc. for CHEAP.

Aros needs full Web capability, more media capability, and more apps and games and it is good to go. And as it is based directly on os3.x I would say that Amiga is capable of being very fully modern.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline Franko

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 01:31:15 AM »
Quote from: Arkhan;574275
lol, stubby fingers.  You sure are a riot.

Don't look stubby to me.  

and yes that's a mickey table cloth, and no I don't give a rats ass if someone thinks its homo.

PS: Already relieved myself.  played some Elvira, if yknow what im sayin.

Ah, Thank you for proving me wrong that pic, just goes to show you do have a sense of humor... :biglaugh:

I'll reduce that earlier percentage to 99% now... :)