Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just a few questions  (Read 1052 times)

Description:

Offline _caddy_Topic starter

• Show only replies by _caddy_
Just a few questions
« on: August 16, 2004, 09:00:32 PM »
1) IDE:

anyone got any information on a Randy-Rom? (its a buffered ide adaptor- and its german apparently, but no-where can i find information about it)
there are 3 jumpers on it which i have no clue what they do

Linky: http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QgByAJgTf4qK8sr1qqZokWqErLCgW37kAQQ!iKsQioqhY9QL6LdsAT9wFGJKq4pHS8x*Loih!lLwSJ*E0NJexi7bri4!drMSfBPgholRivY/RandyRom.JPG?dc=4675485117479777334

2)Amiga networking:
How do i set up and use a 3com etherlink 3 adapter

i know i need a tcp stack - i have netconnect 2.3
i found some 3com drivers on aminet

just not sure how it configures

bearing in mind, the card, and the tcp stack have not arrived yet i've been out of the amiga scene for about 4 years now, i bought an a1200 to do up, a few years ago, and have only just got around to it

i got an a1200 for xmas in 1993. so i kinda grew up with em
but having never delved on the internet with one i  wasnt sure how it'd fair with getting on my router/home network
got cdrom on it fine, and i'm planning a few mods.

3: Solid State Storage

does anyone know / has anyone tried solid state storage on amiga's?
i'm fairly convinced that they would need drivers - or some such, because i dont think scsi device would like it -
interesting thought tho, no?

linky: http://www.cfide.co.uk/compact_flash_ide_adapter_cfide.shtml

Thanks For reading
A1200 in original casing
Internal
4.3gb hard drive // 24x cdrom // clock port Hypercom1 // floppy drive
External
3 floppy drives, and a 3 Com Etherlink 3 PCMCIA Ethernet Card

Offline doctorq

• Show only replies by doctorq
Re: Just a few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 10:17:51 PM »
Your 1st question:

I got an Randy ROM myself once, but hadn't gotten any information on it though. I emailed the man who designed the board, and he told me that it was a pre-release or something of the IDE-fix 97 controller. He also told me that it was illegal, but you might try to contact him as well, maybe he can help you out. Jens Schönfeld is the name.

Your 2nd question:

The driver for your ethernet card should be placed in Devs:Networks and then you just need to setup the TCP/IP stack, but if you haven't got it yet, then it would be kind of difficult. I haven't tried out NetConnect 2.3 myself as  I prefer Miami Deluxe (can be freely downloaded from Aminet) as my TCP/IP stack. I have just set IP, subnet mask and gateway to DHCP in Miami, and then everything works fine, at least for me.

Your 3rd question:

No clue on this one, sorry.

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 10:18:43 PM »
In response to question 3 . . . I've tried using an M-Systems IDE Fast Flash Disk (FFD) on a vanilla A1200 (with an A500 power supply), but the system wouldn't boot. It might work OK on a third-party IDE interface. M-Systems' SCSI products should work fine.

Others have posted about their experiences with compact flash to IDE adapters. A search for "compact flash ide" in the forums should bring up a few hits.

Trev

Offline _caddy_Topic starter

• Show only replies by _caddy_
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 11:19:12 PM »
well having read some posts, anout miami basically being unregistarable, i found the cd off ebay, and decided that would be easier - along with cheapy network cards

i've changed the jumpers on the randyrom, only to find that they seem to do nothing, so i have replaced them how they were when i got it - no big deal, its just that if anyone wants information on it, or a pic to identify what they have bought,  the information will be somewhere

if anyone else has one of these, please post some info, as i am now curius
A1200 in original casing
Internal
4.3gb hard drive // 24x cdrom // clock port Hypercom1 // floppy drive
External
3 floppy drives, and a 3 Com Etherlink 3 PCMCIA Ethernet Card

Offline Schoenfeld

• Show only replies by Schoenfeld
    • http://icomp.de
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 01:07:11 AM »
I have designed Randy Rom in 1996 for MLC in Moers, Germany. There are four jumpers; the group of three is to cut the reset line from the three IDE ports - this was necessary with kick 3.0 and some harddrives. This is not a very clean solution, but it worked at the time. Kick 3.1 solved the problem on the software side. If you have kick 3.1, close all of these three jumpers.

The one jumper that sits alone there selects one of the two "1" ports, I think it's labelled "on=b". The "a" port is the 2.5 inch port, and the "b" port is the 3.5inch IDE port. The outer port is always active. This jumper was necessary because the 2.5inch port is not buffered.

The interface is fully IDE-fix compatible. It was licensed to MLC. That company has sold it with illegal copies of IDE-fix. When they were found guilty in court, I have cancelled the contract with them, but they continued making and selling the interface - that's why I consider them illegal.

Don't worry, I won't go after anyone using this adapter. I have found and confiscated the overstock of these adapters a few years ago, so they're out of the market. I might even start selling this overstock in the future, because there's currently no IDE-fix compatible buffered adapter available from resellers.

If it makes you feel better, PayPal me a few bucks ;-)

Your third question can't be answered that easy, because I have different reports from different people. Some claim that a vanilla A1200 boots fine with such an interface, others (including me) have different experience. It seems like it all depends on the CF card itself. These cards have a so-called "true IDE mode" in which they emulate IDE harddrives. Depending on the accuracy of that emulation, the A1200 will boot, or it won't. The adapters are all the same, and should all follow the schematics that Sandisk has published, so you can choose the cheapest for your experiments, knowing that a more expensive one is exactly the same.

Jens Schoenfeld

Offline lanroot

• Show only replies by lanroot
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 05:58:19 AM »
I've aquired a sandisk flashcard to IDE adaptor fitted into a 2.5 inch mounting that fits nicely into my A1200.  I've 2 256Mb sandisk flashcards - the one in the IDE carrier works great and I can boot off of it just fine.  (and its quiet too!  ;)

Is there some sort of limit to the size of a flashcard when used in the PC slot?  I tried putting the second card into the PCMCIA port - it recognized the card, but it said 'error writing to device' when I tried to format it. Why??  The card works fine on my laptop.  I'm confused.

Anyone have a solution?