Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is MorphOS - a brief introduction for users familiar with C= Amiga  (Read 6102 times)

Description:

Offline zyleseaTopic starter

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
Since I discovered there are still ppl who don't know what MorphOS actually is, I wrote a brieft introduction (it's just a 5 minute read) for those already familiar with Amiga to get a first idea about it. Some screen shots provide additional information.
Find it here: http://via.i-networx.de/wim.htm

Offline Cammy

Re: What is MorphOS - a brief introduction for users familiar with C= Amiga
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:53:21 PM »
I thought I'd help out with a screenshot showing MorphOS running on my new 396Mhz Efika, it's so fast and responsive:

A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 02:02:51 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;611790
I thought I'd help out with a screenshot showing MorphOS running on my new 396Mhz Efika, it's so fast and responsive:

IIRC it actually is 400MHz precisely. But the Openfirmware miscalculates the value slightly and hence is reporting the 396 MHz. But it is a nice maschine anyway, I like mine.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 02:06:32 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;611784
Since I discovered there are still ppl who don't know what MorphOS actually is, I wrote a brieft introduction (it's just a 5 minute read) for those already familiar with Amiga to get a first idea about it. Some screen shots provide additional information.
Find it here: http://via.i-networx.de/wim.htm

Thanks for that.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 02:10:25 PM »
@ Cammy

While that's a nice screenshot, to be honest it just looks like the kind of thing I see on my Mac running OSX, you're good a making videos about the Amiga is there any chance please that you could make a short video of MorphOS running actual Amiga progs... :)

Thank to zylesea and his MorphOS guide for numpties like me I now have quite a good understanding of just what MorphOS actually is and is capable of, a nice wee video of MorphOS actually running some Amiga apps would top this off for folk like me who don't really know much about MorphOS... :)

Cheers

Franko

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 02:27:25 PM »
Quote from: Franko;611805
@ Cammy

While that's a nice screenshot, to be honest it just looks like the kind of thing I see on my Mac running OSX, you're good a making videos about the Amiga is there any chance please that you could make a short video of MorphOS running actual Amiga progs... :)

Thank to zylesea and his MorphOS guide for numpties like me I now have quite a good understanding of just what MorphOS actually is and is capable of, a nice wee video of MorphOS actually running some Amiga apps would top this off for folk like me who don't really know much about MorphOS... :)

Cheers

Franko

There are a number of MophOS videos on youtube.

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »
I always found it strange that the Morphos website Overview section doesn't use the "Amiga" name, but rather states:

"Just-in-Time compiler that emulates the 68k family of processors and thereby allows to transparently execute legacy applications developed for the Commodore Ax00 series of computers."  

I figured it had something to do with legal/trademark issues with Amiga Inc., but now I find that they're using it in a more obscure place -- only under their GUI Toolkit section:

"Constant development and continued support from users and programmers over the past years have made MUI by far the most successfull available GUI toolkit for the Amiga platform."

--- and without any reference to trademarks at all.  So perhaps their reticence to use the Amiga term has some other motivation.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 02:31:03 PM »
@ Cammy

Cheers

Franko

I was considering setting up an acont on youtube. Maybe I'll do and add a video, too. Anyway, have you seen the wordprocessor screenshot alreay I just added: Wordworth, Amiga Writer and google docs - all on one screen:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 02:39:14 PM »
@ Cammy

Ive seen you make comments like that before, and while I can partially understand where youre coming from, try using amiga os with an rtg system sometime and you'll suddenly see MOS looks a heck of a lot more like amiga os than it does Mac OSX. Amiga OS is potentially soooo much prettier than AGA allows. Having said this though, MOS does look nicer than AmigaOS.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline TCMSLP

• Show only replies by TCMSLP
    • http://www.coherer.net
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 02:59:48 PM »
Nice introduction.  What is the bundled browser - OWB?  

I see ebay currently have mac mini g4's (~£120) and dual CPU power mac's (~£80) - so might be worth investigating!
A1200 50MHz 68030 16Mb, PCMCIA Ethernet, Indivision AGA MkIIcr
http://www.coherer.net Coherer: Electro!

Offline Franko

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 03:00:33 PM »
@ zylesea

Nice pic, but as I say I'd really like to see MorphOS in action before I purchase another Mac, I'll take Jorkanys advice and see what I can find on YouTube for now, but a video by yourself would be welcomed... :)

@ fushy_fiz

"I've seen you make comments like that before" !!!

Don't quite understand what your getting at, sorry... :(

Thought you'd have known by now that I still don't have an RTG board on my Amiga and also as I've also said before I'm not into nice looking WB screens or eye candy, to me it's running the apps that count or being able to easily run things from the CLI/SHELL... :)

(who wants to sit and stare at nice Workbench screen all day, waste of an Amiga that is... :))

To me MorphOS running on a mac sounds interesting as I reckon I may get more use out of a Mac if I can run Amiga progs on it other than just using it for the net like I do with the two I have now... :)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 03:12:40 PM »
I think you're trying to read something into it that was never there. Im simply saying that MOS isnt too far removed from an RTG based amiga system in terms of the look, albiet a little enhanced. When I say, "Ive seen you make comments like that before" it means exactly and literally that. No secret messages, not having a cheap shot, just exactly what I said, as I have seen you make comments about MOS looking like a Mac. Up the resolution, color depth, add some nice colors/gradients, icons, etc. and an RTG based system looks fairly distinctive, and MOS follows that look. It's not about fancy backdrops, etc., its the look of the OS itself. While I enjoy ocs/ecs/aga theyre not completely representative of the "true" amiga look.

Although actually off topic, as for "Who wants to stare at a nice looking Workbench all day?", well each to thier own, but for me Im more interested in not having an ugly looking workbench more than wanting a nice looking one. If it's pleasant enough to not be intrussive, then that's good, as opposed to standing out 'cos its ugly. I love the system, but man, a default install sure is ugly to a point of distraction.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:21:15 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Franko

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 03:21:04 PM »
I didn't think there were any "secret messages" in there, just couldn't quite get what you were actually saying that's all... :)

Although I don't see how you can say that OCS/ECS/AGA are not completely representative of the "true" Amiga look, in all the years I've been using OCS/ECS/AGA they are what came with the machines and nothing else and are what made the Amiga look that bit different from everything else... :)

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 03:36:08 PM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;611820
Nice introduction.  What is the bundled browser - OWB?  

I see ebay currently have mac mini g4's (~£120) and dual CPU power mac's (~£80) - so might be worth investigating!

The browser is OWB by Fab. Current relase is 1.11, it is based on webkit and shares more or less only the name with other OWB incarnations. Very useful. Youtube works well, as do many google services (unfortunately streetview doesn't work).

Offline Golem!dk

• Show only replies by Golem!dk
    • http://www.google.com/
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 03:40:10 PM »
Quote from: Franko;611822
Thought you'd have known by now that I still don't have an RTG board on my Amiga and also as I've also said before I'm not into nice looking WB screens or eye candy, to me it's running the apps that count or being able to easily run things from the CLI/SHELL... :)

Have a look here for some alternative MorphOS skins, it can look rather plain if you prefer that.
~