Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows 8 Might Suck  (Read 3980 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Windows 8 Might Suck
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 11:34:28 PM »
Holy Jesus that guy is annoying.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 11:44:25 PM »
Might?!?!?! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:54:13 PM »
Been using Beta for a little while and I think it's good if a little flakey.  The idea of having an HTML5 OS UX that transends device has great appeal to me.  
As it is, W8 probably won't be that because the "cool fad" population doesn't understand what their consuming mentality does to technology, but the idea borders on revolutionary if you actually stop and think about it for a minute: It has the potential to actually go against the global corporate growth ethos of diversity of product.

He's a kid, but I agree with is fanboy accusation comments.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:59:23 PM by gertsy »

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 11:55:13 PM »
I'm glad Vista is the last version of Windows I'll ever use.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 12:00:25 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;685150
The idea of having an HTML5 OS UX that transends device has great appeal to me.
I'm still not seeing the logic behind this line of thinking. The idea of having a single UI for two radically different input methods is as ridiculous as the idea that a toilet should have a steering wheel and gear shifter.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 12:05:46 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;685154
I'm still not seeing the logic behind this line of thinking. The idea of having a single UI for two radically different input methods is as ridiculous as the idea that a toilet should have a steering wheel and gear shifter.

:laughing:  +1

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 12:07:17 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;685154

Obviously the App needs to handle the UX based on interface display.  You can't have the big screen experience on a phone device. Unless you have eagle vision and 1mm finger tips but you are thinking in the terms of today's limitations.
Imagine in 10 years time taking your high end hand held device plugging it into a docking station with a 25" monitor (touch or not) and fullsize keyboard and having a big machine computing experience on a device that also offers the small screen.  I think that is revolutionary.

Manufacturers and aligned global corporates don't, because they want you to have a device for every desired UX, more devices for everyone.  I only want one.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:14:22 AM by gertsy »

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 12:21:53 AM »
Imagine a world where you can never have a physical or complete digital copy of the software you own on your hard drive. Imagine a world where NO software can be written for Apple or Microsloth OS' without their direct approval.

If you love technology, keep it free, avoid these beasts...

Gonna sell my iPod... Things to come...
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 12:25:16 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;685162
Imagine a world where you can never have a physical or complete digital copy of the software you own on your hard drive. Imagine a world where NO software can be written for Apple or Microsloth OS' without their direct approval.

Gonna sell my iPod... Things to come...

I'll buy you iPod. Seeing as though it's free..........:)
I like the theory but it's not gonna be built if it can't make money for someone and their shareholders.
Underpants + ? = Profit.

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 12:33:46 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;685150

He's a kid, but I agree with is fanboy accusation comments.

a kid? Chris Pirillo is just a couple of years shy of being 40, he's 38 this year.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 12:36:29 AM »
Quote from: danwood;685164
a kid? Chris Pirillo is just a couple of years shy of being 40, he's 38 this year.

I wasn't talking about his age.  But thank's for the info I figured him around 30.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 12:43:46 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;685156
Obviously the App needs to handle the UX based on interface display.  You can't have the big screen experience on a phone device. Unless you have eagle vision and 1mm finger tips but you are thinking in the terms of today's limitations.
But that's exactly what isn't happening here. Windows 8 doesn't provide two different but equally important user interfaces for the two types of devices it's targeting, it provides one tablet-oriented UI and begrudgingly, disdainfully provides only the parts of the old desktop UI they couldn't get away with cutting, on the publically-stated assumption that developers are supposed to port their "desktop" software to Metro, simply because MS says so.

And even if they were trying to build a coherent dual-headed OS, I think it's a fundamentally misguided goal to begin with. Trying to build one program that works identically on two radically different kinds of devices is crazy. Either it's going to be tailored for one and poorly adapted to the other, or it's going to be so abstracted that it's not any good on either. Application design is guided by knowledge of how the user will interact with the program; that's why DOS programs simply aren't designed the way Windows programs are (and why programs that tried to be identical across both DOS and Windows, back in the 3.1 days, sucked at it.) It's not going to lead to a single unbroken user experience, it's going to lead to tablet software that poorly attempts to be desktop software and vice versa.

Quote from: XDelusion;685162

Word to that.

Offline gunni

• Show only replies by gunni
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 12:45:59 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;685147
Holy Jesus that guy is annoying.

took just under 30 secs of him for me to close the tab!
not sure why I clicked the link anyway, messed around with the dev preview of win 8 - some good features, some not so good. very much doubt I'll ever own a copy, I only seem to use my windows partition for amiga explorer these days.

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 12:59:27 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;685156
Imagine in 10 years time taking your high end hand held device plugging it into a docking station with a 25" monitor (touch or not) and fullsize keyboard and having a big machine computing experience on a device that also offers the small screen.  I think that is revolutionary.

That's ridiculous.  Why have all that hardware on your desktop and then cripple it by requiring yet another device to make it usable?