Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 7481 times)

Description:

Offline neofree

• Show only replies by neofree
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 23, 2009, 03:48:36 AM »
I actually came here to post a similar thread...

Since the PS2 I've felt like Gaming was finally cool again as the 64/Amiga days.

Since Mac OS X Tiger, I've felt that there was an OS out there that totally blew away the Amiga.

And now to my amazement, Windows 7 puts Microsoft on par with Apple.  I've been using it for awhile both at work and at home, and it's just really a big change for Windows.  

I'm using my Mac, with Snow Leopard, right now to type this.. And it's still my main machine..      And you have to give Apple some credit here..  They really have started to take off lately, and this was giving Microsoft some real competition, that drove them to make Windows 7 what it is.

This is awesome.  We don't want to be ruled by one OS..  We want competition because that's what makes things better.  

Thanks,

Neofree

Offline quarkx

• Show only replies by quarkx
    • http://www.amigalounge.com
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 04:24:58 AM »
Quote from: neofree;526928
I actually came here to post a similar thread...

Since the PS2 I've felt like Gaming was finally cool again as the 64/Amiga days.

Since Mac OS X Tiger, I've felt that there was an OS out there that totally blew away the Amiga.

And now to my amazement, Windows 7 puts Microsoft on par with Apple.  I've been using it for awhile both at work and at home, and it's just really a big change for Windows.  

I'm using my Mac, with Snow Leopard, right now to type this.. And it's still my main machine..      And you have to give Apple some credit here..  They really have started to take off lately, and this was giving Microsoft some real competition, that drove them to make Windows 7 what it is.

This is awesome.  We don't want to be ruled by one OS..  We want competition because that's what makes things better.  

Thanks,

Neofree

So are you saying it's" Windows for Mac users?". My biggest "pet Peeve" with it was in the beta, there was no "Classic" mode (like all the other Windows up until and including XP). Because they moved and re-named many things, I couldn't find things or it took a while to guess where things would be.

tone007[QUOTE:]
Originally Posted by tone007 View Post
If you're still using a parallel port Zip drive, you deserve an outdated OS.
[/QUOTE]

Why on earth would I throw away perfectly good hardware just because it is not USB? Maybe you can burn your money away like that, but parallel port hardware works, and if it aint broke why screw with it? BTW some of the BEST printers ever made were never produced in USB. And also the beta of Windows 7 couldn't even find a parallel port never mind use one. MS had in one of its KB papers a reason why it "dropped support" for any and all parallel devices, basically, it was too hard for them to implement it and most devices had switched to USB.
I have Amiga stuff for sale at http://amigalounge.com. You can follow my builds there also.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 04:40:24 AM »
Sometimes is so boring read all the wonderfuls of OSX, i dont see all this wonders in that OS really, apple is overvaluated at all.

Windows 7 seems better than vista, but this is easy, but i stay on XP at the moment.
a1200 060

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 05:21:25 AM »
XP users will migrate to Win7 or get left behind...

Offline neofree

• Show only replies by neofree
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 05:35:41 AM »

So are you saying it's" Windows for Mac users?". My biggest "pet Peeve" with it was in the beta, there was no "Classic" mode (like all the other Windows up until and including XP). Because they moved and re-named many things, I couldn't find things or it took a while to guess where things would be.

It's completely awesome they didnt put a classic mode.  You're missing most of the benefit of the new Taskbar (which is much like the OS X Dock) with it.  It doesn't take long to understand the benefit of your program always being in the same place, instead of a scattered ADD mess of tabs.  You can quickly go down to the same icon that's always in the same place, and quickly see the windows that are open from that icon.. Or.. if none are open you are using the icon to start the program.  It really merges all the redundant systems, Start menu, Quick Launch, Taskbar (old), etc.   The Mac has had this for years but Windows has finally got with the program.  Just waiting for Linux to get a clue.

A friend of mine sounded exactly as you.. He went ahead and tried it for awhile (pre-release) after realizing he just couldnt do classic and realized it was much better.

Thanks,

Neofree

Offline quarkx

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 05:36:10 AM »
Quote from: CSixx;526938

They said the exact same thing about VISTA and Windows Millenium Edition, BOB etc... It is just a big cycle and we see the same thing over and over again. come back after you have used it for 6 months and then tell us if you feel the same way. I HAVE used it for over 6 months, and I WAS a die hard MS supporter. Windows 7 is just some of VISTA fixed, but no where near what XP is period. All the maketing fluff in the world can't hide the facts. In a year we will just be pumping Windows 8, because Windows 7 is VISTA all over again.
I have Amiga stuff for sale at http://amigalounge.com. You can follow my builds there also.

Offline quarkx

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 05:44:39 AM »
Quote from: neofree;526939
It's completely awesome they didnt put a classic mode.  You're missing most of the benefit of the new Taskbar (which is much like the OS X Dock) with it.  It doesn't take long to understand the benefit of your program always being in the same place, instead of a scattered ADD mess of tabs.  You can quickly go down to the same icon that's always in the same place, and quickly see the windows that are open from that icon.. Or.. if none are open you are using the icon to start the program.  It really merges all the redundant systems, Start menu, Quick Launch, Taskbar (old), etc.   The Mac has had this for years but Windows has finally got with the program.  Just waiting for Linux to get a clue.

A friend of mine sounded exactly as you.. He went ahead and tried it for awhile (pre-release) after realizing he just couldnt do classic and realized it was much better.

Thanks,

Neofree

I am not talking about the TASKBAR, I am talking about things you need to use when fixing computers like the control panel. If you have things that are in the same place for 15 years, it gets to be a repetitive task to find and fix things. Easy and a lot less time waisted for you and your customers. Also A classic start menu is another thing also, but someone will make these tings in Windows blinds and make a ton of money. I don't care what the kernal is like, make the gui look close to XP so we can find things easily, with little or no fuss.
Again, I have beta tested it for over 6 months and found it extremely frustrating. Since I went back to XP, my laptop has been running stress free and 10X faster and everything just works. You cant argue with those results.

Offline DamageX

• Show only replies by DamageX
    • http://www.hyakushiki.net/
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 06:12:30 AM »
I installed the win7RC just for the heck of it. It's curious how in Microsoft's version of math 6.1 rounds up to 7 (possibly related to the way 65,536 sometimes equals 100,000). In a way I was pleased with it, since I was able to successfully disable/change everything I didn't like to make it behave more like win2k. (and BTW I had no problem using a parallel port game pad.) I was surprised to find that the ancient win3.1-based FTP program that I use still works.

Not-so-impressive is the fact that the bare OS consists of about 8x as many files taking up 8x as much disk space, and eats up an extra few hundred MB of RAM. Aside from that, I'm not interested in buying any software that requires activation.

Offline Lockon_15

• Show only replies by Lockon_15
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 09:10:54 AM »
Quote from: quarkx;526941
I am not talking about the TASKBAR, I am talking about things you need to use when fixing computers like the control panel. If you have things that are in the same place for 15 years, it gets to be a repetitive task to find and fix things. Easy and a lot less time waisted for you and your customers. Also A classic start menu is another thing also, but someone will make these tings in Windows blinds and make a ton of money. I don't care what the kernal is like, make the gui look close to XP so we can find things easily, with little or no fuss.
Again, I have beta tested it for over 6 months and found it extremely frustrating. Since I went back to XP, my laptop has been running stress free and 10X faster and everything just works. You cant argue with those results.

Yes, MS decided to drop Classic option this time. Maybe they should had it for people like you, I would't mind it. IMHO, that's a good decision, IT won't make a significant progress if it's being dragged by legacy features. For that fact I'd like to see some departure from HW side, too. Something like evolution of BIOS, bus architecture or storage paradigm, or shortly improvement of all PC legacy which is still unchanged for almost last 30 years.

If you have older HW, then it's more than logical to use XP due lower resource footprint. But for newer and forecoming HW, this is no brainer. W7 and XP cannot be compared with multitasking/multithreading performance, for legacy application there's a XP mode already reducing some compatibility gap and that's just the tip of iceberg.
A500+/KS3.1/GVPA530/2MbChipRam+8MbFastRAM 2GbCF/YAMAHA CDRW

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2009, 10:36:22 AM »
Quote from: amyren;526886
I installed windows 7 (one of the late betas) on a low spec laptop. It sure is better than Vista, but slower than XP Home on the same laptop.

If you have XP and it works ok, I see no reason to go to W7. The only reason for getting W7 would be if you were unlucky enaugh to buy a new PC bundles with the bloated Vista.

One of the main reasons is that it comes with 32bit and 64bitt as standard.  where as XP 64bit was expensive, rubbish and hardly supported, at least with windows 7 if you have the chip the you can run 64bit which will blow xp 32bit awat in terms of speed
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline JuvUK

• Show only replies by JuvUK
    • http://www.bobhoughtonferrari.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2009, 11:09:53 AM »
Quote from: quarkx;526940
They said the exact same thing about VISTA and Windows Millenium Edition, BOB etc... It is just a big cycle and we see the same thing over and over again. come back after you have used it for 6 months and then tell us if you feel the same way. I HAVE used it for over 6 months, and I WAS a die hard MS supporter. Windows 7 is just some of VISTA fixed, but no where near what XP is period. All the maketing fluff in the world can't hide the facts. In a year we will just be pumping Windows 8, because Windows 7 is VISTA all over again.

rubbish! XP is old, clunky patched to buggery and just about scraping by (i use xp at work and hate it!) i have vista on my spare pc and whilst resource hungry as long as you have a half about rig it runs circles around xp, and i use windows 7 on my main rig (7 months now) and its excellent, fast user friendly and stable, it really bugs me that users are holding back PCs with their "oh but XP is great" attitudes, doesn't anyone remember XP's launch? blue screen of death if you even looked at it funny.

come on peeps, give it up, move on and get over it windows 7 rocks and you WILL be using it!
Why does it always break?

Offline tone007

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2009, 11:36:23 AM »
Quote from: quarkx;526931
Why on earth would I throw away perfectly good hardware just because it is not USB?

A parallel port zip drive is not "perfectly good."

Quote from: quarkx
BTW some of the BEST printers ever made were never produced in USB.

Any printer worth a damn will have a network port, and if it doesn't and you're that attached to it, you stick a parallel to network print server on it.

Quote from: quarkx
I don't care what the kernal is like, make the gui look close to XP so we can find things easily, with little or no fuss.

I read that as "I don't like learning new things, and Microsoft is making me look stupid in front of people by hiding all my icons! Nothing should ever change!"  Not the attitude that'll get you anywhere in IT, dude, you're on your way to being one of the useless users who can't find the internet without starting up AOL.

Quote from: CSixx

It's true, Microsoft has already even refused to patch certain issues in XP, and no longer provides licensing information via the Microsoft Partner website for enterprise versions of XP.  I imagine downloads will get pulled sooner or later.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2009, 01:06:28 PM »
Some people are just down on Microsoft and always will be.  I was probably guilty of it once upon time when I was a rabid Amiga user.  But lets be honest windows 7 or any version of windows including 98se and up blows the pants of AOS4.

And the other genious piece of microsoft , xbox360.  They really have pulled a decent machine with great online fucntionality, network and community tools together.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline quarkx

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2009, 01:36:38 PM »
Quote from: tone007;526973
A parallel port zip drive is not "perfectly good."

Tell us WHY? it sounds like you are trolling at this point (no I am not trying to make anyone mad here- it's just frustrating to see points like this with nothing to back them up). Please tell us why you think that a parallel ZIP (or any Parallel port device is "bad). I am open, but to throw out hardware, just because a USB version is available is just plain waistful-especially in this day and age. When it finally dies, I will get (if I decide to) get a USB one. BTW- if anyone is compelled to throw away perfectly working hardware, just send it to me instead of putting it into a landfill.- the only caveat is printers you cant get ink or ribbons for. The only thing I can do with those is pull chips if any.

Any printer worth a damn will have a network port, and if it doesn't and you're that attached to it, you stick a parallel to network print server on it.

I argee to a point with that statement, but some of the best (non-network) printers ever made were parallel, for example, the HP laserjet 4 and most Okidata dot matrix. 30 years later and being used daily, these printers are still going at 100% in a ton of corperations, banks and such, if you need network the HP Lj 5 is still king.But I wasn't talking about networked printers back then.

I read that as "I don't like learning new things, and Microsoft is making me look stupid in front of people by hiding all my icons! Nothing should ever change!"  Not the attitude that'll get you anywhere in IT, dude, you're on your way to being one of the useless users who can't find the internet without starting up AOL.

Nope, its all about efficentcy. When a customer is paying by the hour and you can't find something, it is pretty bad. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't have another 20 grand to spend on anothet MCSE course from MS -did that back in the NT4 days (I still say NT 4 was a better OS then XP, but thats a whole other thread for another day)

It's true, Microsoft has already even refused to patch certain issues in XP, and no longer provides licensing information via the Microsoft Partner website for enterprise versions of XP.  I imagine downloads will get pulled sooner or later.

Remember, we have been down this same road just 2 years ago with VISTA and we will be down it again as the Corporate customers refuse (again) to upgrade. I am sure if you look back at the threads on VISTA, they will mirror the exact same thing said here today.
BUT, OTOH, I have not, and can not comment on a 64 bit machine (my comments have been solely based on my 32 bit machine). I don't know how Win7 runs on an 4 or 8 core system with 16 gigs of ram. That XP can't do (and I don't think XP-64 was ever truely "finnished"). For that, you need to go to server 2003 for that was the last major upgrade to XP's kernal.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2009, 02:34:05 PM »
We moved a dozen PCs from XP to Windows 7 today, a compete science lab.  Everything works and users like the new interface.  It seems about as peppy as XP.  I'm going to schedule the upgrade of every PC under my control to Windows 7 that has enough power.   In most cases it's just putting in a couple ram sticks to get them there.  XP is just too ancient to be of use in 2010.

As a side benefit they seem to play well in a majority Mac shop.  The hooked to the XServes without the normal problems that XP seems to have.  We can share devices better and share files better.  All in all a much more responsive and cooperative OS.  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Moto

• Show only replies by Moto
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2009, 03:35:55 PM »
First off, you can just pick up one of these USB to IEEE1284 converters from newegg for about 12 bucks.   I was forced to get a USB to serial converter because I had an expensive Garmin GPS that didn't offer native USB connectivity.  Some day USB will be obsolete and you'll need a parallel to usb to (whatever newest interface exists).  And sometimes the newer products aren't as good as the old.  I agree with the older HP printers being built better.  The laserjet series 2 was a tank!

All this crazy hype and "Windows 7 Parties" is just ridiculous.  It's just an operating system. It's a means to an end.  The year is almost 2010.  Is anyone else disturbed when a company as large as Microsoft can't create a stable, reliable operating system that doesn't need weekly security patches?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a MS hater.  I think they have some really great products like Visual Studio and SQL Server.   I use these every day in order to put food on my table.  And I really enjoy these products.  The inevitable upgrade that I will be forced to make from XP to Windows7 will not make my job any better or any easier.  But eventually the XP "patches" will stop coming and in order to keep my OS running securely and thus I will need to upgrade.  

I don't know about you guys, but after about the 50th time I've had to install Windows (starting way back with Windows 1.0 for me) I kinda lost that wow-zowie enjoyment factor of upgrading my OS.  I just look at the OS in the same light as I look at the firmware in my camera or the ECU in my car.  I expect it to work and not crash.  

Some day all of this won't matter as we'll be running very light weight terminals that can run any software by means of virtualization. The days of the BIG OS releases are numbered and I personally can't wait for it to conclude.
500, 1200, 4000T