Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting MaxUAE (or another emulator) Up & Running  (Read 908 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Getting MaxUAE (or another emulator) Up & Running
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 24, 2014, 11:17:24 PM »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 02:56:57 PM »
If you want to download Amiga software.. you should google "amiga .adf files".. here's a place with a few links.  (skip back 2 roots..I think its down for good)

http://www.lemonamiga.com/links/index.php?genre=19

http://thegamearchives.net/
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 06:19:25 AM »
You can actually run WinUAE under wine on OS X. Although, FS-UAE is a better choice in general despite the issues I have with FS-UAE (mostly through the interface).
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline AHunter3Topic starter

• Show only replies by AHunter3
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 06:11:18 PM »
Hi!  Reporting back in with significant (although not total) success.

a) Installation from scratch works considerably better with a full set of diskimages, which I now have.  I now have a bootable Workbench 3.1 environment, booting from a folder masquerading as a hard disk!  At least some applications downloaded from aminet (eons and eons ago) will now run.  It's the first time I've been able to boot from anything besides the Workbench 3.1 Install disk!  Yay!

b) I did, however, heed you folks' advice and downloaded amikit.  

(After all, it's going to be a somewhat challenging and prolonged task to acquire whatever files and settings enable TCP/IP on WorkBench 3.1 and then install as I was advised by a friendly helpful person named Adam Atkinson in, ummm, 1996 :eek: , -- acquire and deploy a package called "Miami".  And AWeb for browser, and AmFTP for FTP purposes.  Not to mention various possible UI customizations, ideal general-use settings, and whatnot that one would wish to apply to a completely vanilla new installation of WB 3.1);

However, I have amikit issues as follows:

c) Booting the WinUAE environment from the hardfile "System_ADVSP.hdf" puts me in AmigDOS and I follow the prompts.  I have made 3 attempts to use the option of upgrading the amikit environment to Workbench 3.1 since it recognizes that my WB diskettes are indeed WB 3.1 and when I do so, it asks for (in this order) Workbench, Extras, Fonts, Install, Locale, and Storage, then sits there forever (> 24 hours no more dialogs) and when I finally opt to  kill it and attempt to start up from the hardfile again it says "SOFTWARE FAILURE":  "C:StackAttack / Program failed (error #8000004), Wait for disk activity to finish"" with options of Suspend and Reboot.  So something's apparently going off the rails after it has accessed each and every one of the Workbench 3.1 diskettes but before it finishes setting up the environment.

d) Same scenario except this time saying "N" to the option of updating to 3.1 and letting it authorize amikit but leave 3.0 as the os, it churns away without asking for additional disks (after the initial request for the Workbench disk) and then these two windows pop up:

-------

e) Returning to the install-from-scratch project (which boots etc and didn't throw error messages at me), I can run AmigaDOS manual by Peter Bagnato (sort of; it crashes or at least the mouse became unresponsive), SplatterPaint, MED, FreePaint; something called Mod2MiDi complains about some missing files, says "we can do without trying such-and-such", ends up on an empty screen; ArtPro says it simply can't run without ReqTools library something-or-other; hmm, and I don't seem to understand how to quit out of a program I no longer wish to use, what with not being an Amiga user etc.  All of the above-mentioned programs were downloaded circa 1996 from aminet.  What else?  I have no sound, I have a window roughly the size of a postage stamp, and I'm obviously clueless.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 06:13:20 PM by AHunter3 »