Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: survival horror games for the amiga?  (Read 5204 times)

Description:

Offline carvedeyeTopic starter

• Show only replies by carvedeye
survival horror games for the amiga?
« on: June 08, 2011, 04:27:55 PM »
Hi all just curious if there is any survival horror games like resident evil,after dark type games? i love these sort of games and it has been ages since i have played a decent survival horror game.
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Re: survival horror games for the amiga?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 04:37:40 PM »
Nothing springs to mind right away, though Alien Breed has many of the same qualities (limited resources, ohshitwe'regonnadie moments etc)

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 05:17:26 PM »
Dark Seed perhaps?
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:06:18 PM »
Dark Seed for sure. Then their is Alone in the Dark 1, which I "believe" can be played via Mac Emulation. It don't look like much, but is one of the better Horror Adventures EVER created. Though being based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft always helps in that department. ;)

Also there is Sweet Home which you can play via a NES emulator. You can get a pre-translated rom from Planet Emu. In case you don't know, that was the Capcom game that inspired their Resident Evil series.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Templario

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 07:29:10 PM »
Zombie Apocalipse I and II, a great shot game.
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 10:04:29 PM »
Ofcourse, when you take emulation into account, a lot more is possible. from splatterhouse on megadrive to resident evil using fpse. but I dont think thats what carvedeye was after though.

Also, Alone in the Dark didnt age well. I did play it a few months ago but it looked cr*p and gameplay was very, very slow. Dont bother with that.

I have one more suggestion besides Dark Seed and that is Elvira.
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline carvedeyeTopic starter

• Show only replies by carvedeye
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »
well both dark seed and elvira look great so will give them both a try :)
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 05:00:23 AM »
Quote from: rvo_nl;643887

Also, Alone in the Dark didnt age well. I did play it a few months ago but it looked cr*p and gameplay was very, very slow. Dont bother with that.

Those old Poly based games don't age as well as the sprite based ones do they? But still, this game has the best story line out of ANY in the series, and is really quite creepy. In fact I'd almost go as far as saying that the only Horror adventures that are worth two shits are the ones based upon the writings of H.P. Lovecraft, some of which can be emulated well on the Amiga.

Prisoner of Ice would be one title I'd suggest if you can run DOS Box fast enough.

Aghh wait, and there are more that actually made it to the Amiga!!!

Dylan Dog: Through the Looking Glass

Anchorhead

The Hound of Shadow

The Lurking Horror

and of course Dark Seed II which again you'll need Shape Shifter to play, but hey, at least we got part one on the AMiga. :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 08:05:38 AM »
Somewhat off topic, but I LOVE H. P. Lovecraft based Horror games! I really wish the Alone in the dark Series kept on that vein (The last one I played for 30 minutes and sent it back to Gamefly).

It isn't Amiga based, but "Call of Cathulhu Dark Corners of the Earth" was so good, it gave me nightmares! My wife forbade me from playing it after 9 PM because I would have these crazy dreams and start talking in a weird language and "defend" myself from her... :roflmao:

Anywho, if someone does find a good survival horror for the Amiga, I'd also like to know about it. My wife, not so much...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:11:39 AM by J-Golden »
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline zipper

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 08:56:20 AM »
Zombi... well not too good. But zombies and skeletons.

Offline foleyjo

• Show only replies by foleyjo
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 09:35:18 AM »
There's always the Amiga Resident Evil demo

http://hol.abime.net/5548

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 09:54:53 AM »
Maybe not entirely what you ask, but a great cyberpunk/horror/adventuregame anyhoo: DREAMWEB

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 02:43:09 PM »
There was also a project for ppc equipped Amigas called SOMS(Secrets of my soul) that was an attempt to recreate a silent hill-like atmosphere.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 07:27:32 PM »
Quote from: J-Golden;643957
Somewhat off topic, but I LOVE H. P. Lovecraft based Horror games! I really wish the Alone in the dark Series kept on that vein (The last one I played for 30 minutes and sent it back to Gamefly).

It isn't Amiga based, but "Call of Cathulhu Dark Corners of the Earth" was so good, it gave me nightmares! My wife forbade me from playing it after 9 PM because I would have these crazy dreams and start talking in a weird language and "defend" myself from her... :roflmao:

Anywho, if someone does find a good survival horror for the Amiga, I'd also like to know about it. My wife, not so much...

My feelings exactly! The 1st Alone in the Dark... Perfect! 2 and 3, a bit to weaker, but still fun. After that the series really started to blow!

The there was Dark Corners of the Earth. BEST Horror Adventure EVER!!! It saddens me though that the game studio went under before the 2 sequels got released.

Oh, and Necronomicon for PC and PSX was a good one too!

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 07:40:56 PM »
XDelusion, you and I are long lost friends.  We really need to get together because it sounds like we have TONS in common!

Oh, and this thread has inspired me to make an Amiga survival horror game now.  I've already started the story line and am sketching out the basic concept.  Now I just need to learn how to program games :)

And yes, it WILL be Lovcraftian...
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?