Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Its the end of the month and were is my A1 ex g4@800  (Read 5092 times)

Description:

Offline poweramiga2002Topic starter

• Show only replies by poweramiga2002
Its the end of the month and were is my A1 ex g4@800
« on: March 27, 2003, 01:04:15 AM »
well here we are at the end of yet another month. No os4 no A1 on my desk, im not upset or angry all i would like to know is some type of semi official date to look foward too, not knowing is worse than having a date even if the date is out by a few weeks, so at least bolster us up a little and give us some positive news ppl

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
Re: Its the end of the month and were is my A1 ex g4@800
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 03:31:14 AM »
I agree with you, most definitely, but, maybe post under hardware???

AmigaOne! I put $50 on .....
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 09:22:18 AM »
It will surely arrive sooner or later. It's always hard to wait, but as OS4 is not out yet, slight changes in AmigaONE delivery deadlines is not a big deal methinks.

Use tactics like KDH, add two weeks to each date when it arrives, or don't believe the overly optimistic user opinion based deadlines, and be a little more sceptic towards the less overly, yet optimistic official deadlines.

There's little chance to the OS4 or AmigaONE project to be cancelled, so there is nothing to worry.

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 10:35:24 AM »

poweramiga2002 wrote:

not knowing is worse than having a date even if the date is out by a few weeks, so at least bolster us up a little and give us some positive news ppl

Eyetech simply has no way of knowing any better than anybody else when the Teron PX will be finished (in a state suitable for shipping to end-customers - fully tested, with finished firmware, FCC-approved... Oh yeah, AInc's rigorous QA testing too... Heh), and Hyperion luckily don't want to promise anything beyond "when it's ready" regarding AmigaOS4.

So I have to say that your comment looks an awful lot like "please tell us some more nonsense dates made up on the spot AGAIN, because we're happier to be told lies as usual than you simply saying 'we don't know'".

I don't remember if it was on Moo Bunny or ANN or here that I saw a good post on "spoiling" as a marketing method:

"Product X will be ready on YYYY-MM, honest."

"Wait, it'll be ready on YYYY-MM +x, no need to look at the competition... On schedule and rocking!"

"Just hold on, it'll be ready on YYYY-MM +x+y, and we have decided to add this great feature. It's a bonus, folks!"

"Don't go anywhere! It'll be out on YYYY-MM +x+y+z, cross my heart! And just look at these new features we have written on this list!"

Et cetera.

Personally I prefer the Hyperion way ("when it's ready") over what I think it looks like you're suggesting. I'm sure that no efforts will be spared to announce a slightly more accurate release date prediction once it's actually possible to do such a thing. As far as we have been told they're still "beta testing" separate components and still adding and developing new ones.

OTOH, I hope that Hyperion themselves, internally, at least have set goals and are at least closing in on or at long last have completed a feature freeze, even if they don't dare to disclose those goals to the public (for fear of breaking them, like with most software products, and the inevitable scorn for doing so).
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline carls

• Show only replies by carls
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 12:25:15 PM »
I feel that it's better to release a working OS instead of releasing an almost-working OS and then add a handful of Service Packs over the next few years just to discontinue that very OS just when it's stable and secure (like Microsoft do - WinNT SP6 came out in 1999 and shortly thereafter they dropped all NT support and moved on to Win2K).

But the situation with AmigaOS4 is beginning to get silly. It's taking too long!

Quting the original AOne press release from amiga.com; "All this work - including extensive testing of hardware and software components - is scheduled to be complete in time for end user deliveries 3Q01."

This was released in October 2000. Perhaps a bit too optimistic back then - at least I remember thinking that. But two years over time? Three years of waiting? Ah, man...
Amiga: Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Offline Cravan

• Show only replies by Cravan
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2003, 02:16:33 PM »
Makes you wonder...
WHAT information did they base their release date statement on?! It's true that the information technology industry hasn't done too well the past years, but this delay is incomprehensable.

or...anyone else got more info on the reasons for the delay?

Offline Elektro

• Show only replies by Elektro
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2003, 03:07:11 PM »

carls wrote:
But the situation with AmigaOS4 is beginning to get silly. It's taking too long!

Quting the original AOne press release from amiga.com; "All this work - including extensive testing of hardware and software components - is scheduled to be complete in time for end user deliveries 3Q01."

This was released in October 2000. Perhaps a bit too optimistic back then - at least I remember thinking that. But two years over time? Three years of waiting? Ah, man...

Yeah...
#amiga.org @ irc.synirc.net

Offline Philespin

• Show only replies by Philespin
    • http://mecamera.addnone.net
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2003, 03:16:50 PM »
Just have cancelled order.  Will buy something when os4 will be there.... (and i believe that we will wait again).

Phil

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2003, 03:36:18 PM »
I have heard commentary from some quarters about asking for 'unrealistic dates'.
I disagree with that, Eyetech has set some very realistic dates, at various times, they just failed to achieve those dates.

I also don't think anyone asked Eyetech to give false promises...I don't recall a single person ever asking for that.  So I'm not sure why these comments keep coming up.

It almost seems like a desparate attempt to blame everyone in the world, but the person who gave the false expectations, Alan Redhouse.

But I will agree with those thoughts, to a certain extent, in that....at this point it really doesn't do a lot of good to ask for more dates.  It's  all words now....they need to release a product not more promises.  It would mean nothing to me, to get another promise.

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2003, 03:48:13 PM »
"The Long Wait"

Offline carls

• Show only replies by carls
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2003, 04:07:17 PM »
IMHO they needed to release a product at least half a year ago, before christmas 2002.

I have not commented very much on the whole delay situation or the A1/OS4/Pegasos/MorphOS thing at all, and I feel I have been very understanding but now I can't hold it in any longer, so here goes:

I was more or less ready to by an A1 then (X-Mas 2002), given that OS4 was ready and a review was available. I think many would say the same. Instead I went for a PC, so my waiting and frustration should be over.

But it's not. I'm getting more and more bitter over the whole situation. It is high time for A Inc. to put the money where their mouth has been for the last few years!

$50 coupons, screenshots, marketing events at different Amiga shows etc... When will it all result in something? The A1 board is already outdated and overprized, as is the Pegasos (although a bit cheaper than the A1).

I can understand the people who are willing to put money in this and who are willing to wait and wait and wait. But if any other company would have pulled this kind of stunt they would've been out of business by now!

I feel that A Inc. trusts the Amiga Community's patience and devotion just a little too much.

I'll never let go of my precious classic Amigas, but I'm getting less and less interested in the A1 and OS4 each day :-(
Amiga: Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2003, 04:54:52 PM »
@Seehund

Damn you Seehund!! How dare you show your face here after beeing labeled the #2 troll on one of the other Amiga sites and you were BANNED there!!

Oh wait, I was leabeled the #1 troll, and Wayne the #3 troll. Oh yeah, Bill Hogget was in the mix somewehere probably #4. At least you are in good company;-)
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2003, 04:58:24 PM »
@red

Know what is really odd ?

I didn't make it to that list !!!
(and yes I tried)

:-o  :-o  :-P
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2003, 05:04:19 PM »
@ Carl

Imagine if all this effort for OS4 was used on AROS developement instead. :(

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2003, 05:14:33 PM »
You might aswell wait if you really want the goods.