Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SSD not reading correct size on 3000.  (Read 292 times)

Description:

Offline matt3kTopic starter

SSD not reading correct size on 3000.
« on: January 24, 2017, 03:41:01 PM »
My issue is that my acard 2000sup and the ssd on the 3000 SCSI are acting crazy.  They used to work perfectly as I began to get them to work, but now they don't.

1.  Initially I installed the SSD in a 3000D, booted from a hard drive with BB2 on it.
1.1 Used 0xFFFFFFFF and 0x7FFFFFFF for the mask and max transer.
2.  Ran 3.9 HDtoolbox which recognized the 44 gig ssd and let me partition the drives.  
3.  I partitioned 3 partitions, the first a small 2 gig one using PFS3 and the other two much larger using PFS3DS.
4.  Formatted them with PFSFormat.
5.  Copied over data to all the partitions.
6.  Rebooted and received errors on the larger partitions.
7.  So I figured it was a Direct SCSI problem, so I went into HDToolBox and Installed the drive to start over and it only showed 8 or 9 gigs and not the 44.
8.  I took it to my Powerbook running MOS and it saw the drive correctly.  Installed PFS3 and formatted the partitions.
9.  Put them back in the 3000 and it said PFS3 not enough memory.
10. Put it in a pc and put NTFS on it, figuring the amiga wouldn't recognize it and I can just treat it as a new drive.
11.  Once again the Amiga would only see 8 gigs.
12.  I tried typing in my best guess to get space and when I wrote it to the drive it gave error 7 in drive description.

Offline Pat the Cat

Re: SSD not reading correct size on 3000.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:14:03 PM »
Max transfer rate is ludicrously high? A3000 SCSI controller is limited to about  10/MB second, IIRC.. So about 0 X 0090FFFF, which is really pushing the  metal. That's about 9.5MB. It's nice to think the OS was maximum designed for drives and controllers that can access at 214 MB/S, but they haven't been invented yet, and neither have the processors needed to do that on 68K based Amigas.

Try a complete shut down just after HD-Toolbox preparation, and before you quick format the drives. (don't use slow format).

Sometimes a reboot isn't enough, the new hardware is "clever" and needs to be turned off to reset fully before the Amiga OS can access the drive contents properly. The nearest thing AmigaOS came to removable media was the floppy disk. Everything else needed a custom library and device.

Check your scsi.device version too.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 07:35:52 PM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline Thomas

Re: SSD not reading correct size on 3000.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 12:00:13 PM »
MaxTransfer determines the maximum transfer unit size, it has nothing to do with speed.