Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple's iPad 2 is the 'Holy Grail' of computing  (Read 17083 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Apple's iPad 2 is the 'Holy Grail' of computing
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 12:24:23 AM »
Quote from: Franko;622659
True, but they should have a health warning on them and only be allowed to show up between the hours of 3am & 5am and hidden away on another site altogether... :)
Ya can't live in a bubble, there is a whole world out there and it is made much more interesting by diversity... As much as I am happy with my crApple iDevices I wouldn't want the whole world using them (unless they all were going to buy my apps ;) ), I'm glad Apple have to compete with Google!

Offline djnick

• Show only replies by djnick
    • http://www.djnick.rs
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 12:35:43 AM »
Once Amiga was good for music... Now when you watch GarageBand for iPad2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOR_vMBp298

and say it is stupid - then there is something wrong with you.

GarageBand is absolutelly incredible piece of music art and work!!!

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2011, 12:39:52 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;622661
Ya can't live in a bubble, there is a whole world out there and it is made much more interesting by diversity... As much as I am happy with my crApple iDevices I wouldn't want the whole world using them (unless they all were going to buy my apps ;) ), I'm glad Apple have to compete with Google!

They have to complete with Zune too, oh nevermind.

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2011, 02:22:20 AM »
Quote from: djnick;622664
Once Amiga was good for music... Now when you watch GarageBand for iPad2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOR_vMBp298

and say it is stupid - then there is something wrong with you.

GarageBand is absolutelly incredible piece of music art and work!!!

Hi,

This is what I think of it, YAWN

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline dentunes

• Show only replies by dentunes
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2011, 02:40:28 AM »
Quote from: smerf;622681
Hi,

This is what I think of it, YAWN

smerf
And for parents of children who have never played an instrument before can now do play music in seconds. People who know how to play music take it for granted. The closest kids who have no idea about how to play an instrument got to playing music was following lights on a Casio keyboard. This is totally different. They can make their own music without knowing what they are doing on the device and show the world. Full songs using the smart instruments and it all sounds professional. It takes the arranger keyboard concept even further. This is a HUGE motivational tool to get kids to learn how to play.

If you think that is YAWN, great. To a 5 year old kid who has never played a note of music in their life, this is amazing.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 02:41:20 AM by dentunes »
Amiga, Amiga, Where for art thou Amiga?

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 03:05:41 AM »
All those years of nothing from Amiga have had their effect.  The iPad allows you to do those things that we dreamt about all those years ago and all people can do is ridicule.  There are thousands of people including kids who are developing for it.  iPad has harnessed the everyday person into programming.  That's part of the change.  Major software houses are competing with 15 year old kids all on a level playing field.

Read the comments from the naysayers here, they sound like ninety year olds complaining about young whippersnappers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 03:23:39 AM »
Quote from: dentunes;622682
And for parents of children who have never played an instrument before can now do play music in seconds. People who know how to play music take it for granted. The closest kids who have no idea about how to play an instrument got to playing music was following lights on a Casio keyboard. This is totally different. They can make their own music without knowing what they are doing on the device and show the world. Full songs using the smart instruments and it all sounds professional. It takes the arranger keyboard concept even further. This is a HUGE motivational tool to get kids to learn how to play.

If you think that is YAWN, great. To a 5 year old kid who has never played a note of music in their life, this is amazing.

Wow you make it sound so pointless. If you had your way we could just load up some software and push a command function named "make art/music". Presto - instant music without actually having to do anything.

Doing it your way is only going to dumb everything down a few levels to the point where it is meaningless. The only art i am interested in is the kind where there has been struggle and hardship in bringing it all together. I don't like quick and easy.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline dentunes

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2011, 06:15:12 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;622689
Wow you make it sound so pointless. If you had your way we could just load up some software and push a command function named "make art/music". Presto - instant music without actually having to do anything.

Doing it your way is only going to dumb everything down a few levels to the point where it is meaningless. The only art i am interested in is the kind where there has been struggle and hardship in bringing it all together. I don't like quick and easy.
You miss my point though. I am referring to all of the people who never ever even attempt to learn an instrument because they think it is too hard. Piano scales, lessons etc can be daunting. This gives people the ability to make music and experience the fun of doing that to give them motivation to get the lessons and become real musicians.

I don't mean for this to replace being able to play. It is opening up the world of music creation to more people and that is a good thing in my book.

Only 5% of the population here in Australia, roughly, play an instrument. That is 95% of the population that would benefit from this.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2011, 07:24:52 AM »
People who know how to play an instrument absolutely *do not* take it for granted. They too started out not knowing how to play, but spend years and year honing thier crafts and talents. This whole "instant music" thing is doing nothing but diluting the cesspool of garbage and lowers peoples expectations even further.
Nothing worthwhile in life comes easy. Want to play an instrument? Great. But it requires effort and like all art forms isnt as easy as simply pressing a few buttons, unless you want generic soulless rubbish, which this Garageband will produce 98% of the time. That's fine if a person simply wants to have fun, but I have a bad feeling that the crap made with this sort of stuff, combined with a marketable face will find itself in the mainstream from time to time. The more of ths crap there is, the more people accept it and standards lower. Apple are slowly but surely making more of a whore of the music industry as time goes by.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:29:45 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline dentunes

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2011, 07:45:03 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;622711
People who know how to play an instrument absolutely *do not* take it for granted. They too started out not knowing how to play, but spend years and year honing thier crafts and talents. This whole "instant music" thing is doing nothing but diluting the cesspool of garbage and lowers peoples expectations even further.
Nothing worthwhile in life comes easy. Want to play an instrument? Great. But it requires effort and like all art forms isnt as easy as simply pressing a few buttons, unless you want generic soulless rubbish, which this Garageband will produce 98% of the time. That's fine if a person simply wants to have fun, but I have a bad feeling that the crap made with this sort of stuff, combined with a marketable face will find itself in the mainstream from time to time. The more of ths crap there is, the more people accept it and standards lower. Apple are slowly but surely making more of a whore of the music industry as time goes by.
It may make it to mainstream, that doesn't matter. That is an entirely different conversation. There are people who simply don't think they are good enough to ever learn an instrument and things like this help them overcome the obstacle of fear in learning one and can be the difference between a child learning an instrument or not.

By the way, I play many different instruments and I manage a large music instrument store. I see both sides of the coin.

PS: The drum loop on Umbrella - Rihanna came from GarageBand.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:46:34 AM by dentunes »

Offline CodePoet

• Show only replies by CodePoet
    • http://www.UltraKeet.com.au
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 07:50:54 AM »
You know what really, really pisses me off about Apple? The fan club and adverts.

FACETIME! OMG REVOLUTIONARY. Screw that shit. My ancient Nokia had video chat capabilities ten years ago, over GSM nontheless, without being constrained to wifi (mind you, 3G has more than enough throughput for facetime, but iPhone4's can't make calls without dropping out). Skype and other IM software did it way before apple too, they just called it 'video chat'

STATE OF THE ART LITHIUM POLYMER BATTERY!!!. Bah, my ten year old iPaq PDA had a lithium polymer battery way before it became cool. All smartphones have Lithium Ion batteries nowadays, with comparable capacities (AND they're replaceable!)

APPLE DID IT FIRST, YOUR PHONES A COPY. Ignorant fools. O2 had a touchscreen PDA with a GSM Radio module way before your stinking iPhone.

/troll

NB: The technology's cool, I just don't like the cult following or the bonus hemorrhoid creme that comes in the box
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:55:22 AM by CodePoet »

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2011, 08:20:12 AM »
How can I copy over a .flac music file to iPad2?
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2011, 08:28:19 AM »
We are at that point already. A few years ago, I was working on an album and decided to take a break... Went to the chillout area of the studio and put the music channels on the TV... Over the course of an hour the chilling truth hit me; I was spending whole days working on single sounds and rewriting parts over and over again to get something fresh and original... Something that hopefully people would enjoy and appreciate... But as I sat there listening to the successful, commercial music... I heard nothing but boring simple chord progressions (the stuff you find in "My First Guitar" book), loops and auto tune.

If people can make this kind of music themselves, maybe they will learn to appreciate the hardwork that goes into making "real music", rather than handing over cash to talentless "artists", who do make music by pushing a button.

I'm not being cute here, in the past year, I have only heard one mainstream Album that doesn't have autotuned vocals and wasn't built almost entirely from of-the-shelf audio loops :(

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2011, 09:24:10 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;622726
We are at that point already. A few years ago, I was working on an album and decided to take a break... Went to the chillout area of the studio and put the music channels on the TV... Over the course of an hour the chilling truth hit me; I was spending whole days working on single sounds and rewriting parts over and over again to get something fresh and original... Something that hopefully people would enjoy and appreciate... But as I sat there listening to the successful, commercial music... I heard nothing but boring simple chord progressions (the stuff you find in "My First Guitar" book), loops and auto tune.

Interesting. I remember Noel Gallagher saying something similar. He was talking about several weeks of intense studio experimentation only to suddenly realize they had just wasted weeks of precious studio time doing nothing. He then pointed out that cocaine does not help with creative output. For the record it was their album Be Here Now he was talking about. Bloodline are you snorting something you shouldn't be snorting? :)

@ Fishy Liz and Dentunes. I think both sides of this argument are right. The ipad may introduce people who would otherwise never attempt to make their own music a way in which they can. In that regard i think it is a good thing. On the other hand allowing talentless artists to make instant music is not a good thing. I don't want to listen to other peoples crap music if you don't mind...

P.S. excuse me if no of this makes any sense i am a wee bit drunk...
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2011, 09:55:32 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;622737
Interesting. I remember Noel Gallagher saying something similar.

I'll suffer through 565.767 Keshas, Gagas and X-Factors if that would erase that little ####tard (and his brother too) from history.

O.k. back to topic ;)
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline nicholas

« Reply #44 from previous page: March 18, 2011, 10:02:15 AM »

Proper coders generally feel the same about "instant programming" tools like AMOS. :P
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini