Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bounty for better Radeon Mediator drivers  (Read 21883 times)

Description:

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
Re: Bounty for better Radeon Mediator drivers
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 01:56:01 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;747859
they want to sell their licenses and avoid everything that would support users on other platforms.

Just to set the record straight: The "they" in "they stopped Ratte" referred to Elbox, not Hyperion. Hyperion has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Boring detail, I know. Let's bash Hyperion anyway.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;747860
Just to set the record straight: The "they" in "they stopped Ratte" referred to Elbox, not Hyperion. Hyperion has absolutely nothing to do with this.

thanks for clarification... but most of the discussion was about Warp3D (that I was referring to). Ratte was stopped by Elbox (and not Hyperion).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:07:03 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2013, 02:09:58 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;747860

The "they" in the discussion about Warp3D is obviously Hyperion, the conversation had moved on from Ratte's driver.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2013, 02:40:34 PM »
this is not a question of blame but of a possible solution. asking elbox or hyperion to open their drivers or whatever software is a waste of time. the only solution for community driven efforts is open source. and open source efforts must be distributed to be any effective. none will do any substantial work on amiga anymore all by himself. therefore since the only open amiga platform is aros, all efforts should concentrate there. sorry about that.

the amiga (68k) platform is in unfortunate situation, that all c coders automatically moved to ng solutions since c is portable and platform independent language. whoever is left, is likely asm coder dedicated to 68k. therefore the only possibility for amiga 68k to keep up is to stay in sync with the c code developed for some of the ng platforms. neither os4 nor mos have much interest to share with the genuine amiga platform, so it leaves us again with only aros as alternative. go compute.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:47:23 PM by wawrzon »

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2013, 02:50:45 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;747861
but most of the discussion was about Warp3D

You replied to Kickstart, who was talking about the party who stopped Ratte. Maybe I should have replied to him instead, to make things clearer.

discussion was about Warp3D

If you're still complaining about Hyperion not supporting you more than a decade after they made it perfectly clear they had zero interest to do so, something's badly wrong with the platform you're supporting. As in: "dead".

As for Hyperion not producing W3D drivers for OS3: If you really need somebody to give you a vague promise right now, post a useless status update in twelve months and insult you for being ungrateful dicks two years from now on - I can do that aswell, no need to wait for official support from Hyperion. We could also include some prepayment scheme to complete the experience.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2013, 03:00:20 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;747866
You replied to Kickstart, who was talking about the party who stopped Ratte. Maybe I should have replied to him instead, to make things clearer.

If you're still complaining about Hyperion not supporting you more than a decade after they made it perfectly clear they had zero interest to do so, something's badly wrong with the platform you're supporting. As in: "dead".

As for Hyperion not producing W3D drivers for OS3: If you really need somebody to give you a vague promise right now, post a useless status update in twelve months and insult you for being ungrateful dicks two years from now on - I can do that aswell, no need to wait for official support from Hyperion. We could also include some prepayment scheme to complete the experience.

:roflmao:
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline JohnFanteTopic starter

• Show only replies by JohnFante
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2013, 03:03:07 PM »
Ok, guys. Lets keep this cool. :-)

I asked - in the 1. post. - if there was any interest in a bounty for better Radeon (with Warp3D) drivers for OS3.9.

I can now conclude that there is very little interest, and that there is substantial problems in getting Elbox and Hyperion to play ball.

Instead people point to Aros for 68K as a possible solution for better Radeon support.

Lets focus the discussion on how this could be done.

wawrzon describes the status to be:

Compile Mesa for Aros 68k: first as software done, but not working correctly yet. Its the same on other v1 platforms. have bothered deadwood about a fix without result

Make (hardware) gallium works with it on Aros 68k (pci stuff...): Partly done, pci half implemented, pending since long even though sonic has promised to look into it. apparently the interrupts are still missing.

Recompile Wazp3D-Aros (that already include an OpenGL renderer) on Aros 68k: It compiles for 68k. Alas it doesnt work, crashes afair. may that be the reason why aros wazp3d is much bigger than your genuine 68k compile?

Is this correct?
Booooiiiing!!!!

Offline woof

• Show only replies by woof
    • http://uae.is.free.fr
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2013, 03:04:33 PM »
>Are you the man for that project Alain? :-)
Absolutely NO: I dont have classic hardware anymore so I wont be able to test such a low-lewel thing

>Recompile Wazp3D-Aros
>>for 68k. alas it doesnt work, crashes....
Curious the software rendering should works
Perhaps there is a problem with the #define in Wazp3D.h as Aros is supposed to be Intel ordered and to use Mesa/Gallium

Does Wazp3D-Prefs works ? What say the Wazp3D debugger before crashing ?

Alain Thellier (aka Wazp3D)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2013, 03:10:23 PM »
Quote from: JohnFante;747868

I asked - in the 1. post. - if there was any interest in a bounty for better Radeon (with Warp3D) drivers for OS3.9.

I can now conclude that there is very little interest, and that there is substantial problems in getting Elbox and Hyperion to play ball.

Instead people point to Aros for 68K as a possible solution for better Radeon support.

Lets focus the discussion on how this could be done.

wawrzon describes the status to be:

Compile Mesa for Aros 68k: first as software done, but not working correctly yet. Its the same on other v1 platforms. have bothered deadwood about a fix without result

Make (hardware) gallium works with it on Aros 68k (pci stuff...): Partly done, pci half implemented, pending since long even though sonic has promised to look into it. apparently the interrupts are still missing.

Recompile Wazp3D-Aros (that already include an OpenGL renderer) on Aros 68k: It compiles for 68k. Alas it doesnt work, crashes afair. may that be the reason why aros wazp3d is much bigger than your genuine 68k compile?

Is this correct?

Yep.

However, I'm willing to host Ratte's driver on a server located in a country not subject to the laws that Elbox threatened him with if need be.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2013, 04:00:58 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;747866

"As in: "dead""

thanks for the tip. Now i finally know what is wrong with it :-)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 04:05:41 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »
I think Wazp3D works on Aros 68k. I have installed it together this with Sormmesa2010 and run the old "Stormmesa-Demos".

Offline nicholas

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2013, 04:34:23 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;747878
I think Wazp3D works on Aros 68k. I have installed it together this with Sormmesa2010 and run the old "Stormmesa-Demos".

Yes but it is software only rendering, the AROS specific version is hardware accelerated so that is the best bet to get working.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2013, 04:44:36 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;747881
Yes but it is software only rendering, the AROS specific version is hardware accelerated so that is the best bet to get working.

Hardware accellerated rendering would be of course better. But would it possible to adapt Gallium to use Wazp3D as layer? This solution would then run everywhere and we only need a adapted version of Wazp3D for f.e. a certain graphiccard.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2013, 04:45:22 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;747878

i was speaking of wazp3d from aros contributions. alains pacakge from aminet worked.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2013, 05:16:01 PM »
Quote from: JohnFante;747868
sure ;)
Is this correct?
the status is as you see that a considerable number of things is in place for this approach as you see.
the problem is it is impossible to get aros maintainers to take care of these as they have other priorities and the main 68k maintainer, jason, is busy at his day job. i have already problems to motivate anyone to fix smaller things. this is the reality of the situation alas.

the solution would be if another dediacted amiga (68k) coder with good c experience and some time and dedication filled into the gap even if led by hand by experienced aros devs. it is very unlikely to find anyone like that though.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #44 from previous page: September 13, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
Quote from: woof;747870

Does Wazp3D-Prefs works ? What say the Wazp3D debugger before crashing ?

Alain Thellier (aka Wazp3D)

yes they work, what options?