Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is it me, or do you find booting a game from disk much more 'romantic' than WHDload  (Read 6001 times)

Description:

Offline DonutKing

• Show only replies by DonutKing
Fiddling around with floppies or other media is just part of the experience of any retro computer :)

At least, if you have the originals. If you're just downloading from the internet then floppies are a pain in the arse. :)

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
No, hate floppies. I try to make floppy-less machines when possible.

Having said that I do think some of the noises floppies made were comical. Especially some cracked games that really get crankin and spitting.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
yeah floppies are cool, and I think we all love the sounds they make :) HOwever WHDLoad is awesome though I have lost a couple of saved games due to whdload somewhow corrupting them!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:55:57 PM by Karlos »
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Quote from: magnetic;656282
And you behave the way you do? How embarassing.

To thread.. yeah floppies are cool, and I think we all love the sounds they make :) HOwever WHDLoad is awesome though I have lost a couple of saved games due to whdload somewhow corrupting them!

Hi Pathetic... :)

I aint embarrassed about nothing, so if your embarrassed on my behalf then you're just the soft little turd I always thought you were and still as thick as sh!te... ;)

Now bugger off and go play in the traffic... :)

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
More OT, I do miss the old floppy noises and esp. the old HD noises.  I remember the BBS I ran on my old A3000 - I could tell what area of the BBS people were using based on the noises.  Fidonet crashmails used to have a very distinct sound, heh.  Knew instantly when the mailer/mail tosser was working just off the HD noises.  Now my SAM 440 BBS rig has a Patriot SSD in it, a silent PSU and no cooling fans at all, and no floppy and I sorta miss the drive and dialup modem sounds.  :/

I don't miss the slow floppy speeds, and that's putting it mildly, heh.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:58:21 PM by Karlos »

Offline magnetic

Duce

You are right I apologize to you. I should ignore that moron i'm only feeding into it.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
I am sorry, once again, Magnetic - if it seems as though I am just as bad as others in my treatment of you.  It's no more right me doing this than the Franko hate fest that seems to go on, but man does it get frustrating, you know?

Super bright, super helpful people like yourself going on these wild tangents at any given chance when someone they dislike posts anything, it just gets old.

Nothing personal - just sorta gets when I see guys I have a fair bit of respect for take cheap pot shots at people.

Offline magnetic

Duce

Thanks for being so nice. I dont go off on anyone except Franko here. You see, he threatened my physically and he also lies all the time, which I cant stomach. Anyway.. we are OT

One thing cool about amiga Forever is the Floppy drive click emulation :)
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Offline nikodr

• Show only replies by nikodr
For someone that wants to revive and live again the magic atmosphere of the 80-90 it is ok to use floppies tapes,and other slow magnetic medias.

There are many sites forums,emulator related that have a large part of the human history of computer science and software.

Practically though with the speed that life goes on on a daily basis,it is not something that many people could do for a long time.

In the 80ies we all had to use disks or tapes to load the software,but we no longer live there,we use faster medias hard disks,and other stuff for our daily practical needs.

Many could have old machines,but i am sure that most of that people would use an emulator 70% and 30% real hardware,and since there are emulators and ways to load software at a fraction of a second there would be no need to spend much time on loading proccesses,

However many people in the amiga platform not yet have floppy emulators that load adf files or have a minimig so it is accepted the fact that they use floppies.

Personally a year or so ago i used an zx128 and spectrum+ with the tape interface they had.I loaded one or 2 games,took ages,and then switched to making mp3s and loading them with an ipod in a few seconds in comparison to having them load through the nasty slow tape interface.I am 30 years old,i have been using disks and tapes since i was 5-6 years old,i do not need the slow facts they carry,although once or twice a year would be good for me.

I believe whdload is the winner in the debate in terms of speed and time,the old floppy speed of reading the data,or listening it making buzzes while it loads the sectors of a non dos game is absolutely great.
Although i practically see no reason for it to be used now.
One that has an a500 or a600 can easily use kickstart 3.1 some ram,a hd or sd have all the games,and load them with whdload.

I remember playing King's quest 5 on a a500 with 1 mbyte ram and 2 floppy drives,with only one floppy the game was unplayable,with 2 drives you could play,though the loading was slow.
If one wanted to replay King's quest 5 today on amiga,would that person choose to listen to the sound of the floppies,and have to play 3 hours of game just to have 45 minutes of real game play ?.the other 2 hours and 15 minutes would be drive loading data,and the message insert disk x?.

No i believe people that are older now have little time to spend because daily life stuff and work does not leave much time free to be able to sit down and wait for the data to load.
That's the reason faster media were invented and used that's the reason a600 and a1200 had ide ports for hard drives,that's the reason poseidon stack Chris Hodges made it possible for us to have usb media solutions on amiga or the deneb,why go back?

Also life expectancy Franko is something that you can easily prolong if you have a good and active sexual life ,after all that is what is Amiga=girlfriend.Maybe having multiple amigas makes one man's life more energetic :P

Offline Franko

Quote from: magnetic;656291
Duce

Thanks for being so nice. I dont go off on anyone except Franko here. You see, he threatened my physically and he also lies all the time, which I cant stomach. Anyway.. we are OT

One thing cool about amiga Forever is the Floppy drive click emulation :)

You sad little moron, still playing the victim and telling lies as usual... :rolleyes:

Kinda selective memory you have when you fail to tell everyone who didn't read that thread, that it was you who threatened me first (which can easily be verified by others who did read it)... :rolleyes:

I know others can't be bothered with you popping in out of the blue every now and then and ALWAYS having a pop at me but to be honest I really don't mind, as it just shows you up for the real idiot that you are... ;)

Carry on with your incredibly sad little vendetta against me as I get a good laugh out of it answering you in kind... :)

Just like your sad little campaign of sending PM's a while back to other members asking them to send messages to the mods & owners to ban me failed your ongoing attacks just like yourself are failing miserably as well... ;)

So carry on with you're pathetic little comments and rants but be assured of one thing, each one will be answered in kind... ;)

Offline Franko

Quote from: nikodr;656294
Also life expectancy Franko is something that you can easily prolong if you have a good and active sexual life ,after all that is what is Amiga=girlfriend.Maybe having multiple amigas makes one man's life more energetic :P

Nah... once a fortnight is more than enough for me these days, ta very much... ;)

But if an active sex life helps to prolong life then I dread to think when you see some of those old monks who have lived in a monastery all their lives and are 80 or 90 odd years old, well I hate to think what "active sexual life" they've been having to live to such a ripe old age... ;)

Me... I'd rather have a nice cup of cocoa and read a good book these days... now where's me pipe and slippers... :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
@Magnetic and Franko

Add each other to your respective Ignore lists and if that doesn't cut it, use Piru's JS filter. Seriously, I'm sick of reading this ongoing bollocks from the pair of you.

Consider this a moderation request.
int p; // A

Offline Franko

Quote from: Karlos;656337
@Magnetic and Franko

Add each other to your respective Ignore lists and if that doesn't cut it, use Piru's JS filter. Seriously, I'm sick of reading this ongoing bollocks from the pair of you.

Consider this a moderation request.

Consider it what you want, the fact is (as usual) I never even said anything obout this ****, he (as usual) just popped in and started once again with his comments.

So if you've got a problem then I ask you to take it up with him as if every time he posts here and says something about me he shall be replied to in kind.

So don't give me the old "I don't care who started it or who said what" line. If someone says something about me for no damn good reason then they can expect a reply back.

Now if you do your moderators job fairly (and even a blind man can see who start this bollocks) then you will have a word with him and not drag me into this petty crap. thank you... :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
Franko,

So don't give me the old "I don't care who started it or who said what" line.

Understand this very clearly:

I really do not give a septic rats rectum who started this stupid feud between the pair of you, you are both guilty of perpetuating it; every time you run into each other it's the same childish tit-for-tat.

Now, play nice or *ignore* each other. I am totally tired of seeing the pair of you thinking that somehow the rules on personal attacks magically don't apply to you because you've each been the victim of it from one another.

Now if you do your moderators job fairly (and even a blind man can see who start this bollocks) then you will have a word with him

My first post was addressed fair and square at both of you. This post is only addressed to you because you chose to challenge what was being asked, but everything I've written in it goes for magnetic as well.

Carry on slating each other like this and you'll both be banned. Can't say fairer than that.

-edit-

Thread closed for moderation...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:53:40 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
Thread re-opened (was closed for moderation).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 06:08:36 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
Re: Is it me, or do you find booting a game from disk much more 'romantic' than WHDlo
« Reply #44 from previous page: August 27, 2011, 06:10:50 PM »
Why floppy disks will still out-cool all that has come since:

[youtube]X4SCSGRVAQE[/youtube]

Beat that, SSD!
int p; // A