Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What will Warp3D v5 NOVA offer Amiga game/demo devs in future?  (Read 1816 times)

Description:

Offline KingTuttTopic starter

• Show only replies by KingTutt
What will Warp3D v5 NOVA offer Amiga game/demo devs in future?
« on: December 18, 2002, 05:15:13 AM »
I tried to access the link to the post made by Hans-Jörg Frieden about Warp3D v5 on LINKAGE[/url]

But unfortunately wasnt able to get in. He claims the following according to this quote:

"I already have a 20+ pages whitepaper on NOVA, the next generation of Warp3D. I don't know when we will finally get around to implement them, but I think that the result won't be far away (in terms of functionality) from OpenGL 2.0 or DirectX 9..."

So given this statement, what are the potentials of such an engine revision. I heard somewhere that this engine will not ship with AOS4, but may be released with later versions of AOS, perhaps 4.2 or 4.5. So what are your thoughts guys? Warp3D 4 shipping with AOS4, will support OpenGL 1.3

PS: It would sure be nice to get my grubby mits onto that 20 page whitepaper on NOVA! So anyone that can get the skinny on this, I would be forever in your debt.   :-D
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline JurassicCamper

• Show only replies by JurassicCamper
Re: What will Warp3D v5 NOVA offer Amiga game/demo devs in future?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 08:37:13 AM »
Hans has talked about this a great length on the OS4 mailing list.
They are very busy and implementing it now means delaying OS4 even longer.
Personally I'd like to see OS4 ASAP, rather than delayed any longer, with Warp3D 4.
I do hope they get the ATI 7X00 & 8500 Warp3D drivers done for OS4 release however.
I think these are vital as most prebuilt systems are shipping with these ATI Cards.
I cant wait to play WipeOut 2097 & Payback again.
It will be  a major advantage for Hyperion to get the ATI drivers done for an OS4 release so people can buy some of their games to play on their new system. Which will give them some revenue to pump into other projects.
 :-D  :-D
A1200T PPC 330Mhz in a Custom Modified Fractal Design R3 Case

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2002, 09:31:53 AM »
It depends on release date. If they push OS4 out now, they'd be happy to have even a generic 2D driver for the ATI cards. If it will take longer, they will have time to implement more.

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 11:02:08 AM »
The design of NOVA is centered around the shader concept, just like DX 9 or OGL 2.0. As such, the fixed function pipeline that is commonplace now will be handled as a special case (predefined shaders).

Basically, think about the ability to program both the T&L as well as the pixel pipeline.

Yes, it will not be available with OS 4.0. That would have been the case when we wouldn't have to do the OS too. As it stands now 4.1 is the earliest possible candidate.

Sorry, but the whitepaper is not ready for publication yet  ;-)
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2002, 12:29:08 PM »
So NOVA will be able to make full use of Vertex and Pixel Shaders if available?  Am I understanding that correctly?  If so, then that is awesome!  I've been wondering about that ability and if it would be used in the new version of NOVA.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline KingTuttTopic starter

• Show only replies by KingTutt
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2002, 12:42:41 AM »
So we may get ATi9700 Pro support after all! I guess with release 4.2 or 4.5 eh?

Either way its good to hear they will keep with the times and are aiming for greater HW support.

I'm just waiting for an update to this page[/url]. Whenever that is.
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.