Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Forever an OS 4.1?  (Read 1865 times)

Description:

Offline CaelThunderwingTopic starter

• Show only replies by CaelThunderwing
Amiga Forever an OS 4.1?
« on: October 21, 2016, 08:39:02 AM »
i understand its a bit tricky to get 4.1 classic installed in AF's WinUAE, but do they still offer 4.1 as a Download to thier buyers of Plus edition? been thinking of getting plus not just for the extra versions of WB, but the ability in thier "Player" to setup an PPC config (as i just have Value , my Kickstart Image i made before i lost my old A500) and WB 2 + my copy of Beneath a Steel Sky

Offline liamwhyoung

• Show only replies by liamwhyoung
Re: Amiga Forever an OS 4.1?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 07:34:12 PM »
I recently installed AOD4.1 FE Classic under AF and it works brilliantly.  The only issues I've had are getting files into the OS and host drives won't mount (4.1 disables 68k compatibility) and sound is laggy on games running under 4.1 using RuninUAE.  I fixed the first issue by getting the Internet browser working and downloading files directly into AOS4.1 from the net. Haven't fixed the laggy in game sound issue yet.

Offline JimmiG

• Show only replies by JimmiG
Re: Amiga Forever an OS 4.1?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 10:49:58 AM »
I have AF 2016, but the latest version of WinUAE has some enhancements for AmigaOS 4.1 such as the ability to use the UAEGFX drivers for higher resolutions, and (I think) mounting Windows drives. AF 2016 still uses the older version of WinUAE. So I just use the ROMs from AF and I have a standalone copy of WinUAE for OS 4.1.

There are some limitations (no desktop compositing, limited RAM), but it works surprisingly well overall. You can use the 68k emulation inside OS4, but then you're emulating a PPC which is emulating a 68K, so that's not ideal. I use AF 2016 for the classic 68k emulation.