Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Repair - US, near Pittsburgh, PA  (Read 11121 times)

Description:

Offline StarrunnerTopic starter

• Show only replies by Starrunner
Amiga Repair - US, near Pittsburgh, PA
« on: August 04, 2014, 06:54:41 AM »
So I have in my possession a pile of Amiga computers.  Three A2000's, Two A1200's (One in a tower with a damaged motherboard I think), Two A4000's and some odds and ends parts.  What I would really like is to get the A1200T and one of the A4000's put into functional shape.  I was never that good with hardware, even 20 years ago.  I am looking to see if there is anyone in the US who is available to try putting something together.  Any replies welcome.  If someone is stateside, I'd gladly send them everything i got, so they could have it for parts.  And to clean off my computer desk of course.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 02:49:06 AM by Starrunner »

Offline QuikSanz

Re: Amiga Repair - US
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 06:39:38 PM »
Give AmigaKit a call and see what they can offer.

Chris

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 06:43:44 PM »
Oh, must have been a mistype above with an S substituted for a K

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 07:33:12 PM »
amigakit is going to be cost prohibitive due to shipping.. OP send me a PM maybe I can help.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 07:49:05 PM »
If you can't get to it call that MacCap guy and see if he can look at it.

Chris

PS, I keep forgetting Leaman Computing has no store in Northern California anymore

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 08:00:11 PM »
Amigakit never had a store in usa. The maccap guy does cap replacements and is not an amiga guy and doesnt build amiga systems afaik.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 10:24:23 PM »
Quote from: Starrunner;770231
So I have in my possession a pile of Amiga computers.  Three A2000's, Two A1200's (One in a tower with a damaged motherboard I think), Two A4000's and some odds and ends parts.  What I would really like is to get the A1200T and one of the A4000's put into functional shape.  I was never that good with hardware, even 20 years ago.  I am looking to see if there is anyone in the US who is available to try putting something together.  Any replies welcome.  If someone is stateside, I'd gladly send them everything i got, so they could have it for parts.  And to clean off my ld computer desk of course.
Sacramento Amiga Computer Club helps members and non-members get and keep Amigas of all types going. Visit us at our monthly meeting or AmiWest (yearly classic tune-ups done). Even some rebuilds, but it's depends on time and parts.
All free, but we do accept donations. It helps pay for Amiwest.

Check out sacc.org

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 04:41:18 PM »
Before they were called Amigakit they were called Leaman Computing. Their only store was in San Francisco. See here.

"http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65908&highlight=Leaman+Computing"

In Addition, from Amigakit website:

Leaman Computing Ltd
548 Market St #38140
San Francisco, CA 94104
U.S.A.

Chris
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:00:22 PM by QuikSanz »

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 05:58:41 PM »
MadCaps does not have the Amiga equipment to test motherboards at present; I sent him a couple of power plugs and a HDD with the 3.X OS on it, but he would need more Amiga stuff to be able to test a repair.

As noted in this thread, "http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67384" there are few options.

I use Anthony Hoffman, but he is due to go freeze his buns off come September and will be unavailable for 13 months.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:02:24 PM by danbeaver »

Offline Rob

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 06:53:46 PM »
Quote from: Starrunner;770231
So I have in my possession a pile of Amiga computers.  Three A2000's, Two A1200's (One in a tower with a damaged motherboard I think), Two A4000's and some odds and ends parts.  What I would really like is to get the A1200T and one of the A4000's put into functional shape.  I was never that good with hardware, even 20 years ago.  I am looking to see if there is anyone in the US who is available to try putting something together.  Any replies welcome.  If someone is stateside, I'd gladly send them everything i got, so they could have it for parts.  And to clean off my ld computer desk of course.

Have you tested any of the systems yet.  With the A4000's, you want to at least open the case to check if the onboard batteries have leaked and damaged the boards.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
well not in the US but just next door is kipper2k & The Amiga Lounge:) kipper2k has repaired and capped my 1200's and recently bought a 1200T from the Amiga Lounge and recommend both.

http://kipper2k.com/amigaforsale/

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67724
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:04:42 PM by klx300r »
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 07:12:23 PM »
With AmiWest 2014 only a little more than 2 months away, I would strongly suggest that you test your Amigas now and then bring any of them that need work to the Friday Night Classic Amiga Workshop event that precedes every AmiWest Show.  Several members show up and offer to help fix Classic Amiga computers for free and it is a great opportunity to meet new people who share your interest and passion for the Amiga.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline LyleHaze

• Show only replies by LyleHaze
    • https://sites.google.com/site/takeaprogrammertolunch/
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 10:19:50 PM »
@Starrunner:
You might get more replies if you offer a bit more information.
I checked to see what part of the U.S. you are in, and there was no mention of it in your original post. However beneath your avatar you claim "Somewhere on the Moon, USA" as your location.

I have traveled up to a couple hours each way to help people get their Amigas running.
Unfortunately, I'm not within two hours of the moon.

I don't think we have many members here from the Moon. (though after reading some threads I COULD be wrong). That might be one issue that reduces the replies you'll get.

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 02:23:09 AM »
I keep forgetting I was vague with my location for a laugh.  You are a little bit of a haul for me, but closer than swimming the ocean.  Or snagging a rocket/shuttle/boomerang. I am out near Pittsburgh, PA

Quote from: LyleHaze;770389
@Starrunner:
You might get more replies if you offer a bit more information.
I checked to see what part of the U.S. you are in, and there was no mention of it in your original post. However beneath your avatar you claim "Somewhere on the Moon, USA" as your location.

I have traveled up to a couple hours each way to help people get their Amigas running.
Unfortunately, I'm not within two hours of the moon.

I don't think we have many members here from the Moon. (though after reading some threads I COULD be wrong). That might be one issue that reduces the replies you'll get.

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 02:25:04 AM »
This is an excellent thought, but sadly I have no time to hike that way.  I live out near Pittsburgh.  I am going to have to remember this for the future.

Quote from: amigadave;770378
With AmiWest 2014 only a little more than 2 months away, I would strongly suggest that you test your Amigas now and then bring any of them that need work to the Friday Night Classic Amiga Workshop event that precedes every AmiWest Show.  Several members show up and offer to help fix Classic Amiga computers for free and it is a great opportunity to meet new people who share your interest and passion for the Amiga.