Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New AGA SDL Development  (Read 32767 times)

Description:

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
Re: New AGA SDL Development
« Reply #149 from previous page: July 10, 2013, 05:25:18 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;740437
Hiya,

If I ever get the time I'd like to add RTG support to my AGA SDL and use it to do a new port of ScummVM for RTG Amiga's.

From what I've read, RTG pixel formats are a mess, that is why blitting can be very slow, esp when you mix color formats.

I can test that too!  :D

Is there any of the old SDL/RTG software out there?  I know there is an old version of Exult, but I'm not sure if the Amiga port used SDL or not.  Maybe I'll give it a shot and find out, then report.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline NovaCoderTopic starter

« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2013, 05:58:50 AM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;740444
I can test that too!  :D

Is there any of the old SDL/RTG software out there?  I know there is an old version of Exult, but I'm not sure if the Amiga port used SDL or not.  Maybe I'll give it a shot and find out, then report.

slaapliedje

Hiya,

Yes the old 68k port of Exult and DosBox would have used the SDL.

I think there is also a 68k port of Red Alert that uses the SDL.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2013, 06:05:02 AM »
Just 'tested' the version of Exult on Aminet (0.93) and it said to put the data files in the Blackgate folder, well, there wasn't one, but I copied my blackgate folder over from my Linux box, and tried running the exult preferences (that say they require OS3.5+) and that did nothing.  So with the Blackgate folder in there, I ran Exult and... it gave me a screen with 1 quarter of it gray, the rest black and a GIANT mouse cursor and locked up!

So much for that....

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #152 on: July 10, 2013, 06:46:05 AM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;740448
Just 'tested' the version of Exult on Aminet (0.93) and it said to put the data files in the Blackgate folder, well, there wasn't one, but I copied my blackgate folder over from my Linux box, and tried running the exult preferences (that say they require OS3.5+) and that did nothing.  So with the Blackgate folder in there, I ran Exult and... it gave me a screen with 1 quarter of it gray, the rest black and a GIANT mouse cursor and locked up!

So much for that....

slaapliedje

I am soooooooooooooo glaaaad that no one replied to your issue because it gives me great pleasure to do this "
The game requires a 68020 CPU or better, an FPU, AmigaOS 3.0 or higher, a graphics card, AHI for sound and the AMidi.device for music. "

Oh one more thing that date it is posted in Aminet is at "Date:2008-02-05" Which you know we are not in that year, date and month anymore...after all we are on the 07/09/2013 as you can see.

Oh finally...to conclude the situation ones and for sure...HE NEVER ANNOUNCED HE RELEASED IT!

Offline spirantho

« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2013, 09:59:41 AM »
In 2008, when that was written, SDL required a graphics card - hence the readme saying a graphics card is required.
The whole point of this thread is that SDL has been ported to AGA, so programs which used to require a graphics card can now be run on AGA (presumably as long as the colour depth is ok - which Exult should be as it ran on VGA).

If Exult doesn't run then it must be doing something which AGA can't handle, or there's a bug in SDL AGA (more likely, given it's still under development - and I don't think there's anything demanding likely in Exult)

Either way, it's a perfectly valid program to try - I think SDL AGA should be able to handle it eventually (given the very good work I believe has been done so far!)
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2013, 01:04:33 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;740451
I am soooooooooooooo glaaaad that no one replied to your issue because it gives me great pleasure to do this "
The game requires a 68020 CPU or better, an FPU, AmigaOS 3.0 or higher, a graphics card, AHI for sound and the AMidi.device for music. "

Oh one more thing that date it is posted in Aminet is at "Date:2008-02-05" Which you know we are not in that year, date and month anymore...after all we are on the 07/09/2013 as you can see.

Oh finally...to conclude the situation ones and for sure...HE NEVER ANNOUNCED HE RELEASED IT!

If you read my Sig, it does say I have an 060, Radeon, etc.  I missed the AMidi.device though.  Thanks.  I expected it to be buggy, crash, or incomplete.  I didn't expect it to just freeze and not do anything but make a giant cursor on my screen!

I also did notice that it said something about "the page disappeared and so I threw it up on aminet", which was a bit odd.

It's nice that you showed such things in bold caps when I had simply said "I'll test it and see what happens" then posted what happened.  It's not like I was pissed and said "Fix it, wtf?  My free stuff doesn't work, OMG!!!  No, my house is on FIRE now 'cause I can't get my injection of Ultima right MEOW!!!"

I'll just wait 'til NovaCoder spreads some Ultima love with his AGA port of Ultima 7.  Maybe once he gets the time to fix up the SDL for RTG as discussed earlier, we can get AGA or RTG Exult, or ScummVM or whatever working.

slaapliedje

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2013, 01:10:38 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;740460
In 2008, when that was written, SDL required a graphics card - hence the readme saying a graphics card is required.
The whole point of this thread is that SDL has been ported to AGA, so programs which used to require a graphics card can now be run on AGA (presumably as long as the colour depth is ok - which Exult should be as it ran on VGA).

If Exult doesn't run then it must be doing something which AGA can't handle, or there's a bug in SDL AGA (more likely, given it's still under development - and I don't think there's anything demanding likely in Exult)

Either way, it's a perfectly valid program to try - I think SDL AGA should be able to handle it eventually (given the very good work I believe has been done so far!)

Exactly, I was trying out the old version that is on Aminet, simply to see if it worked, how well it worked, if it was playable, etc.  Couldn't get the prefs to launch, and the game crashed the system.  No problem, we have the AGA version coming :D

Not to mention the version was 0.93 and apparently 1.5.x 'Snapshots' is the latest version.  I'm sure there is a whole lot of development that's been in place between then and now.  

I never did finish Ultima 7 (pretty sure I ran into a weird bug where I couldn't get to a cave that I needed to), so I'm really looking forward to this AGA version.

slaapliedje

« Reply #156 on: July 23, 2013, 03:10:50 AM »
Update:

I've just added (limited) SDL Mixer support to my library.

It's useful for porting games that need SDL Mixer support.   I've only given it a very quick test but it seems to work, not sure how slow it would be on real hardware.

I'll upload it to AmiNet when I get the time.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:14:44 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2013, 12:35:21 PM »
You are awesome!  

There was another thread on porting Atari ST games to the Amiga, and I was thinking... I believe the Hatari emulator uses SDL, and a new release hasn't been made for the Amiga in quite some time... it probably also requires mixer support.  

I really need to get my development environment set up.  Stupid life got in the way....

slaapliedje

« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2015, 03:44:19 AM »
Yet another port using my little SDL 'hack' :)

[youtube]Wsc2_mzIM2Y[/youtube]
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline trekiej

« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2015, 03:25:21 PM »
Looks good.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #160 on: February 02, 2015, 05:18:29 PM »
Nice!  Do you take requests?

A newer version of Hatari would be an awesome port (there is one on Aminet, but it's pretty old).  I believe it uses mostly SDL, though recently they tacked on a python interface, if the Nokia N900 version is any indicator, it could be removed fairly easily, or replaced maybe by something more Amiga-ish?

I was also thinking some other SDL based emulators, I am pretty sure all of the newer Mame builds are, as well as things like gens.

slaapliedje

« Reply #161 on: February 02, 2015, 10:26:34 PM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;782847
Nice!  Do you take requests?

A newer version of Hatari would be an awesome port (there is one on Aminet, but it's pretty old).  I believe it uses mostly SDL, though recently they tacked on a python interface, if the Nokia N900 version is any indicator, it could be removed fairly easily, or replaced maybe by something more Amiga-ish?

I was also thinking some other SDL based emulators, I am pretty sure all of the newer Mame builds are, as well as things like gens.

slaapliedje

These 68k ports take a huge amount of time, not necessarily to get up and running but to get them fast enough to be of some use on real hardware takes a lot of effort.   As an example, Odamex took about 2 days to get running then another 3 months (effort) to get it running well enough to release it ;)

I've uploaded my SDL hack to AmiNet so someone else can give some new ports a go.

:)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:28:43 PM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2015, 09:06:19 AM »
Wow a 68k SDL port the runs reasonably quickly on real hardware, would have thought ;)

[youtube]RgzTGIV41a4[/youtube]
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #163 on: February 22, 2015, 07:23:18 PM »
I did notice a week ago that a new copy of ADE had been uploaded to Aminet, and inside that has the SDL libraries.

I need to set that one up instead of the older version that is on the geek gadgets CD.  

I was going to attempt compiling a newer version of perl, no such luck yet though.  According to the perl page, they stopped supporting it due to dropping vfork(), but it looks like newer versions of ixemul have substitutes for that, from what little I've been able to find.

I figure after I get a bit more knowledge under my belt, I'll make some attempts myself to get things ported and/or up to date.

slaapliedje

« Reply #164 on: February 22, 2015, 11:14:44 PM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;785180
I did notice a week ago that a new copy of ADE had been uploaded to Aminet, and inside that has the SDL libraries.

I need to set that one up instead of the older version that is on the geek gadgets CD.  

slaapliedje

Hiya,

Yep I saw that, it might be OK but you'd probably be better off just using AmiDevCpp which uses gcc 3.4 and really simple to get running.

That ADE thing looks like it's non-graphical and uses gcc 2.9.3 by default.

Apparently gcc 4.x is also floating around for 68k but it hasn't been integrated with AmiDevCpp yet.

The version of SDL included with that ADE install is probably the really old 68k RTG only build.

I've now built a new updated SDL library using 1.2.15 which is the last one before they went all OpenGL.

I haven't heard of anyone using my SDL AGA library but it's had 460 downloads from AmiNet so you never know.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:17:02 PM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!