Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: StormC 5 for Release 4.1 currently in development?  (Read 8152 times)

Description:

Offline First NinjaTopic starter

StormC 5 for Release 4.1 currently in development?
« on: February 02, 2020, 11:48:50 PM »
Future Tabor owners will likely want to have a nice development environment, and it seems as if StormC 5 Editor may be one of a few different options to consider.

After a bit of searching around, it looks as if the StormC IP has been sold by Haage & Partner to Alinea, which currently sells StormC in a couple of different flavors - one is StormC version 4, meant for Classic AmigaOS. The other one seems to be an editor meant for 4.1. The product page states that "The first step is taken. The editor module of the prospective StormC5 IDE is completed." It doesn't, however, say much more - and it doesn't really mention what kind of compiler that the editor relies on. With this in mind:
  • Is Alinea currently working on a native version of StormC for Release 4.1?
  • If they are - will it be based on gcc, or is it a brand new C/C++ compiler built from the ground up?
  • If they are - how far along has the project come? Has any launch date been announced?
  • What compiler does StormC 5 Ed currently rely on?
  • How well integrated is StormC 5 Ed with said compiler? Does StormC 5 Ed serve as a full blown IDE?
Karate, Jerry. Karate. It's the lifetime pursuit of balance and harmony.

Offline Minuous

Re: StormC 5 for Release 4.1 currently in development?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 02:16:18 AM »
Considering that press release is from 7 years ago, I wouldn't hold your breath. :-(

Maybe send them an email suggesting they hurry up with it...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:53:07 AM by Minuous »

Offline kolla

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 07:10:50 AM »
While waiting, you could port visual studio code editor from Microsoft to OS4 and Reaction :)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 09:59:06 PM »
it would economically make much more sense to concentrate on 68k where the music plays...

Offline Spektro

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 10:36:01 PM »
  • What compiler does StormC 5 Ed currently rely on?
  • How well integrated is StormC 5 Ed with said compiler? Does StormC 5 Ed serve as a full blown IDE?

StormC 5 ED is just an editor. There are no compiler settings and you cannot invoke compiler from the editor.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 05:17:57 PM »
StormC 5 ED is just an editor. There are no compiler settings and you cannot invoke compiler from the editor.

So what you are saying is that StormC 5 Ed basically has nothing to do with StormC at all, other than using its name? Have you used it at all yourself, by the way? If you did, what did/do you think about it?

Offline Minuous

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 06:02:20 PM »
@First Ninja:

I assume it is an updated version of the editor that was part of StormC 4.

Offline Spektro

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 09:25:13 PM »
So what you are saying is that StormC 5 Ed basically has nothing to do with StormC at all, other than using its name? Have you used it at all yourself, by the way? If you did, what did/do you think about it?

I have HAAGE & PARTNER's StormC version 4 (for the Classic Amiga) and Alinea's StormC5 ED. StormC5 ED is an updated version of the StormC 4's editor. However, Compile, Debug, and Window menus have been removed from version 5.

In my opinion StormC5 ED is a nice and capable editor. It's surprisingly fast and it has syntax highlighting for the C/C++, catalog, ARexx, and AmigaGuide files. Source code sections can be folded and bookmarked. It doesn't have as many features as CubicIDE or CodeBench but I like its simplicity and speed.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:33:24 PM by Spektro »

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 02:57:38 PM »
I have HAAGE & PARTNER's StormC version 4 (for the Classic Amiga) and Alinea's StormC5 ED. StormC5 ED is an updated version of the StormC 4's editor. However, Compile, Debug, and Window menus have been removed from version 5.

In my opinion StormC5 ED is a nice and capable editor. It's surprisingly fast and it has syntax highlighting for the C/C++, catalog, ARexx, and AmigaGuide files. Source code sections can be folded and bookmarked. It doesn't have as many features as CubicIDE or CodeBench but I like its simplicity and speed.

Thank you for sorting all of this out. It does seem as if StormC 5 Ed has quite a few features well attuned for AmigaOS development, so it's a shame that the compiler integration has been removed. That said, and if you don't mind me asking, does StormC 5 Ed have an ARexx port that would (potentially) allow for some basic gcc integration? Also - would you mind posting a few screenshots showing what it looks like in operation?

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 04:25:03 PM »
On the right side of the product page are some screenshots. :)
https://www.alinea-computer.de/produkte_details_en.php?product=stormc5ed

Offline Spektro

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 08:58:12 PM »
Thank you for sorting all of this out. It does seem as if StormC 5 Ed has quite a few features well attuned for AmigaOS development, so it's a shame that the compiler integration has been removed. That said, and if you don't mind me asking, does StormC 5 Ed have an ARexx port that would (potentially) allow for some basic gcc integration?

It's a shame, indeed.

No ARexx port. To make compiling a little bit easier, I created an ADOS script which runs the make command when I double-click the script's icon.

There are things I miss in StormC5, like an easy way to locate subroutines, a GUI for jumping to bookmarks, etc. I hope Alinea will continue porting StormC to AmigaOS 4 eventhough CodeBench is available for free. CodeBench's editor has always been slow on my system and you cannot continue writing after saving without clicking the text area first.

Offline kamelito

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 07:39:45 AM »
Struct editor will be fast and free so no need to worry about StormC.

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 09:53:22 AM »
Struct editor will be fast and free

"Struct editor"?

Offline kamelito

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 09:56:48 AM »
From Mark Ritter the dev of workbench explorer
https://youtu.be/kwYVeFRAIDg

Offline Spektro

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 10:35:10 AM »
My StormC5 ED screenshots:

Printing an AmigaGuide document:

Editing an ARexx program:

Changing ARexx file class settings:

The following users thanked this post: First Ninja