Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alphagen MagicBox  (Read 2514 times)

Description:

Offline GreyrockTopic starter

• Show only replies by Greyrock
Alphagen MagicBox
« on: August 20, 2013, 11:07:19 PM »
Hello group, new user here. I hope I selected the proper group. I'm in need of a  MagicBox CD (not the drive). The 4.58 release (Plus with creativity pack) disc I have is damaged and is almost impossible to get any files off it. It has many blemishes and scratches for unknown reasons. Alphagen tech support was no help (surprise) since they no longer support it. I can get it to mount on my Mac but it takes forever and when I try to copy files, it's like watching grass grow. If I'm successful in copying the files, the next challenge will be to burn them to a ISO9660 CD that my Alphagen will recognize. This is all for the public access studio I work for. Does anyone have a spare or a burned copy I can purchase?
Thank you for any assistance.

Offline Gulliver

Re: Alphagen MagicBox
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 01:33:00 AM »
I am in the same boat as you are.
Hopefully someone shows up and help us both.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 04:28:55 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;745605
I am in the same boat as you are.
Hopefully someone shows up and help us both.

I'll keep you posted. I'm going through the PIA process of reading all the files from this bad CD (Plus w/creativity) and a plus w/o the creativity to try and assemble and burn a working ISO9660 disc. stay tuned!

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 05:54:02 PM »
Quote from: Greyrock;746334
I'll keep you posted. I'm going through the PIA process of reading all the files from this bad CD (Plus w/creativity) and a plus w/o the creativity to try and assemble and burn a working ISO9660 disc. stay tuned!

Thank you very much. I am looking forward on your progress.
Good luck with the damaged CD!

Offline mechy

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 05:57:17 PM »
Quote from: Greyrock;745574
Hello group, new user here. I hope I selected the proper group. I'm in need of a  MagicBox CD (not the drive). The 4.58 release (Plus with creativity pack) disc I have is damaged and is almost impossible to get any files off it. It has many blemishes and scratches for unknown reasons. Alphagen tech support was no help (surprise) since they no longer support it. I can get it to mount on my Mac but it takes forever and when I try to copy files, it's like watching grass grow. If I'm successful in copying the files, the next challenge will be to burn them to a ISO9660 CD that my Alphagen will recognize. This is all for the public access studio I work for. Does anyone have a spare or a burned copy I can purchase?
Thank you for any assistance.

here is a you tube link to a guy that has a working one, maybe you can get him to give up the software:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvI06975aBg

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 06:06:33 PM »
Have you tried a CD/DVD polisher/buffer?  If the back of the CD is undamaged (the data foil layer) then the scratches on the read-side can be buffed away:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CD-DVD-Data-Disc-Repair-System-Restore-Damaged-Disks-/161081989566?pt=US_Disc_Repair_Disc_Cleaning&hash=item25813c19be
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline DutchinUSA

• Show only replies by DutchinUSA
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 01:02:18 AM »
I will have a look through my CD's here in the next couple of days, I know I have 1 or 2 Alphagen CD's. If you don't see a reply here by Friday please send me a PM because then I most likely forgot (crazy time at work right now).

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 02:14:11 AM »
Quote from: DutchinUSA;746368
I will have a look through my CD's here in the next couple of days, I know I have 1 or 2 Alphagen CD's. If you don't see a reply here by Friday please send me a PM because then I most likely forgot (crazy time at work right now).

Thank you for your offer. Lets hope Greyrock´s CD turns up well.

Offline DutchinUSA

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 01:10:56 AM »
CD I have is version 4.56.

The Plus Image Capture one.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 06:21:03 AM »
Quote from: DutchinUSA;746970
CD I have is version 4.56.

The Plus Image Capture one.

No news from Greyrock :(

Could you please share your archived cd?

Thanks in advance.

Offline DutchinUSA

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 07:46:58 PM »
I would have to archive it first ! :) ISO? And where to put it .... ?

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 08:11:01 PM »
Just compress it and upload it to mediafire,  and of course, provide us with the link :)

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 01:23:39 PM »
That would be great, let us know. I was able to copy all the files and folders from my damaged Plus CD with creativity pack and when I compare the copy (on a HD) to the original, it appears complete. I'm having trouble creating an ISO disc that the Alphagen will recognize. I'll compress and upload what I have and hopefully someone has luck with it. Anyone had success in doing this and what software works best? Thanks

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 01:25:47 PM »
Sorry for the late reply, Yes, I'll upload what I have and hopefully someone can create a working CD. stay tuned!

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 02:02:15 PM »
I don't think that will work. It has some fine cracks in it. I'll try  and post a picture of it. How this happened is anyone's guess. There are  about 6 people that have access to this unit and all will say "I don't  know"

Quote from: ral-clan;746345
Have you tried a CD/DVD polisher/buffer?  If the back of the CD is undamaged (the data foil layer) then the scratches on the read-side can be buffed away:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CD-DVD-Data-Disc-Repair-System-Restore-Damaged-Disks-/161081989566?pt=US_Disc_Repair_Disc_Cleaning&hash=item25813c19be