Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Back from Amiwest, fun was had.  (Read 6714 times)

Description:

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
Re: Back from Amiwest, fun was had.
« Reply #14 from previous page: August 01, 2003, 11:06:13 AM »
I'd like to have "Ultramarines 1st Company". Please? :-)

Nevertheless I think Gary C hits the spot - after that you'd have to create Amiga Inc, Hyperion, whatever ranks too.

Sticking to the old system is more reliable imho.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2003, 11:12:32 AM »
Yeah, I have to agree... a corperate Rank is not good.

As I would demand an "AROS Saviour of the Free Thinkers" Rank... and that's not good for relations :-D

Nah, I'm most happy with my "Cult Member" Status... Hell, I even have a new avitar to celibrate!!!

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2003, 12:50:23 PM »
Nevertheless I think Gary C hits the spot - after that you'd have to create Amiga Inc, Hyperion, whatever ranks too.

Actually Amiga Inc already has a ranking and has for a long time now. I don't see the problem myself.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2003, 12:59:22 PM »
@gary_c

Actually, my thoughts when creating the special ranks (there are also Amiga Inc, Hyperion, and other "ranks") were essentially two-fold, both of which have worked very well.

1) It lets people know that some people have a specific affiliation so that there is no questioning their motives or "hidden agenda".  Some people were also unaware of who specific people are in real life.  This is simply a little flag.

2) My intention, which has worked is that it HAS cut down on the trolling on both sides by people with those special ranks, since they now feel more appropriately "weighted" to maintain a professional attitude.  I can only speak for myself, but I've noted it in others as well that I'm less inclined to call someone a "****head" when my company name is attached to my post.

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2003, 04:10:00 PM »
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, AO is not the only site with special company rankings now. The other xoops based site is also doing it.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline gary_c

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2003, 05:48:34 PM »
Actually, my thoughts when creating the special ranks (there are also Amiga Inc, Hyperion, and other "ranks") were essentially two-fold

I see your point,  but I still think the signature is the place for company or organization affiliations and other such identifying info. Maybe I'm too rigid, but I think the rank designation should stay forum-related, either number of posts or moderator, etc.

I guess I'm just accustomed to seeing signatures with ID things in them; having a company name as a rank seems like it interferes with the forum system (maybe kind of an anal response   ;-) ), and could be interpreted not as "he's responsible because he's representing the company," but as "he's using his company name to give himself more weight" in these discussions. Just my general reaction, and nothing against you guys, of course, whom I have great respect for personally  :-) .

(Also, it doesn't surprise me that the other XOOP site uses company labels, something almost expected, but not necessarily a good thing.)

-- gary_c