Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Retro Remix Amiga Game Making Competition  (Read 8797 times)

Description:

Offline sim085

• Show only replies by sim085
Re: The Retro Remix Amiga Game Making Competition
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 19, 2010, 03:47:23 PM »
Hi, First of all these competitions are a great idea :) However, although I would like to contribute, I personally do not know from where to get the tools to write a small game for the amiga, nor how to actually use those tools after I get them. In a sense, I think SamuraiCrow idea is good because it would allow people like me to learn, and the more people know the more games there will be :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 03:54:21 PM by sim085 »

Offline rednova

• Show only replies by rednova
    • https://sites.google.com/site/rednova3d/
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 04:00:25 PM »
Miss Cammy:

I want to tell you something. This game competition is the best thing that ever
happened to the amiga community. I am even considering joining in and make
new amiga games. Your leadership is very much needed, and I sincerely thank you
for organizing this contest.  Please never give up !!!
Maybe next contest, you can have two different categories to enter, for ex.
Game competition and tool competition.
Then every one that wants to make new tools, they compete, but also let the guys
keep coding new games.
I look forward to create new amiga games.
Miss Cammy: keep making the contest !!!
Love !!!

Rednova
-mobilis in mobile-

Offline tasmanian guy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by tasmanian guy
    • http://www.amigaformat.com
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 11:40:21 AM »
Hi,

Long time lurker, not much of a poster.

I initially grew up with a Commodore 64 and got my first Amiga in 1989, an Amiga 500 then got the 512k ram expansion, additional floppy drive and remember paying $499 for an additional 2 meg of ram that fitted in the expansion port just so I could do some Vista anims and play some of Eric Schwartz animations.  I loved Deluxe Paint IV, I had a parallel port video digitiser a sound sampler as well, Octamed was great!  I loved Amos, it was so easy to write simple little utilities, the picture iff viewer amazed me that it could be coded in so little lines.

I moved onto an Amiga 1200 with a 14.4k modem (yep paid around $299 for a 14.4k modem and used BBS's around the Hobart such as Skyline BBS and Bear Necessities, I got a 1230 40mhz accelerator card with 2 megabytes of ram (Earth Quake in Japan pushed the price of ram up considerable and as a student that is all I could afford), just so I could play Elite Frontier the way it was meant to be played.  I bought a CD rom drive with a pcmcia interface called a squirrel, that let me play most CD32 games, what an amazing piece of hardware (I've got one on order coming from the UK which hopefully will arrive soon).  The games on the Amiga were the best.

Unfortunately for the Amiga, Commodore went bankrupt and I decided to move away from the Amiga but it was still very dear to my heart and looked in wonder about an Amiga emulator, that turned out to be a fake until it started to become usuable and having purchased Amiga Forever 2009, it has certainly evolved into an amazing piece of software.

So in the spirit of Amiga I as the principle consultant of www.techguytraining.com would like to make a donation to Cammy for the gaming contest in keeping the spirit of the Amiga alive and having such a strong following on here.  I would like to donate $100 cash prize to the winner of the contest when announced, while only a small gesture, I urge others to do the same so we can get some great games back on the Amiga in terms of remakes, etc.
Amiga 1200 1U Rack project

Offline Vegenad

• Show only replies by Vegenad
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 03:30:49 PM »
Hi,

I haven't been here long or have much experience with the Amiga as of yet (having only just recently got back into it) but just thought I'd post a quick message to say how much I appreciate people going to the effort of holding competitions such as this and other events. I feel it really helps to make communities stronger and motivates people to do things they otherwise may not.

Basically, I just want to say cheers to Cammy for the hard work and I hope that the disagreements about contest duration etc haven't got you too down :).

Offline colin419

• Show only replies by colin419
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;541639
Think I'll most probably go for Rodland. If not that maybe Double Dragon... hmm, so many good options  :)

I would go for double dragon we need a decent version, thinking about the original gives me nightmares.

Offline colin419

• Show only replies by colin419
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
@ ikaruga
It would be awsome to play a remake of Metal Gear:)

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 06:31:59 PM »
Anyone fancy doing Railroad Tycoon, Colonization or X-Com AGA with the ability to use an RTG graphics card or SDFF for a larger game area?

Now Civilization 2 would be impressive.  :D

Great idea for a competion.  I look forward to seeing what people come up with.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 06:40:37 PM »
I like the idea.

Similar to the 8-bit game making competitions.

A lot of the 8-bit platforms are getting some excellent tools these days - C compilers to mask the painful bits of assembly, emulation assemblers (WinAPE, etc), map editors, game development libraries, and so on. Lots of new games coming out because of them.

Certainly I wouldn't ban Amos or Blitz Basic II from the competition. Ideas and gameplay matter a lot. If an idea is looking good but more power is needed, the developer might have the impetus to switch to assembler.

What's a good Amiga C development environment - preferably with a game development API bundled - think of the functions that Blitz Basic II offered, but in C, with inline assembly allowed.

Offline madsjm

• Show only replies by madsjm
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 10:39:53 AM »
I love the idea of a retro remix competition. However, I think the initial deadline was too short, especially for the people involved in the previous competition.
Some of us haven't even had time to finish the Christmas game properly yet, so it would feel a bit wrong to jump on a new project right now.

However, I salute you for arranging these competitions. It's a great initiative, and it brings life to our platform.

Offline CammyTopic starter

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 03:03:24 AM »
Hi everyone,

Since it seems like there haven't been any entries submitted and it looks like two months isn't enough time for this competition, we decided that we will extend the Retro Remix Amiga Game Making Competition for another month to give more people time to work on their entries and polish them up. The competition will now end on the 30th of April.

I'll repost the rules again just so everyone is clear on them. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about the rules, I want this to be a fun and enjoyable competition for everyone!

1. This time, we're giving you two months to work on your game. If your game isn't finished by the end of the time limit (April 30th), upload it anyway but have at least one playable level or a demo of the game completed.

2. The game you make for this competition must be playable on either classic OCS or AGA Amigas. This way, it'll reach more people who have classic hardware, or have access to UAE. If you want to port your "remixed" game to another system - AROS, MorphOS or OS4, feel free to as long as your final competition entry will work on a classic Amiga.

3. The game you "remix" must be based on an already existing game on any system (including Amiga) and you must clearly state in the ReadMe file which game you are basing it on too. For example, a remake of arcade classics such as Pac-Man and Space Invaders or any game you like. Sometimes the more simple games are more fun!

4. Ripped graphics are allowed, but keep in mind that enhanced or new graphics can sometimes improve your chances in the competition.

By the way, any programming language and game-making tools you want to use for the competition are allowed as long as the final game runs on a classic OCS/AGA Amiga, either on real hardware or through emulation. This includes the use of game editors such as Backbone, GRAC, GRAAL, SEUCK and Reality.

Also, here's a link to the previous competition page - http://amigachristmastree.condor.serverpro3.com/Competition.html in case anyone missed it and needs inspiration/motivation to work on games for this Retro Remix competition. If you need help at all, please ask on the forum too, I'm sure there's going to be someone who can help you out!

Thank you to everyone who offered prizes for this competition, it would be very much appreciated by the Amiga community and myself. If you have a serious offer for donating prizes, please private message me and let me know so I can add it to the prize pool. Maybe having more prizes will motivate people more.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline Astral

• Show only replies by Astral
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2010, 03:46:05 AM »
Just like to say I support this idea greatly. Good to see the enthusiasm to continue making new games for the Amiga.

I would love to make a game, and have programmed things in the past, but alas at the moment the focus isn't there long enough to make anything decent, and I'd need to freshen up on my skills! So, I'd like to put my suggestion for a game out there.

Remember the public domain game Sensitive for the C64? A fantastic puzzle game. Simple, challenging and addictive! Would someone be interested in programming an Amiga remake with enhanced graphics sounds and so on?