Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sneak Peak on the next AROS Vision with Magellan  (Read 7165 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3Topic starter

Re: Sneak Peak on the next AROS Vision with Magellan
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 07:12:36 PM »
two updates

hotkeys added...

Now I am working on file types with context menues. Here example "lha"

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 09:58:24 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;742638
Have you tried Scalos with it at all?  I vaguely remember that Scalos was faster than Magellen on 3.x machines.
magellan is the fastest, sclaos is actually working too but there are some deadlock situations that are particularly visible with scalos to resolve. i advise to use magellan for the time being.

Also, I'm wondering if the TLSFmem patch and StackAttack2 from aminet are compatible with AROS 68k?  TLSFmem should give it a real speedboost if it is compatible.
aros provides own tlsf implementation that isnt yet enabled on 68k. from my experience (chris hodges) tlsf was usually compatible with genuine 68k software. id wait till its implemented. stackattack was working.

Would I need to install a 68060.library or does AROS come with it's own?
no need for 060.library whatsoever. aros has its own implementation that gets automatically enabled via setpatch after system recognition. thats great about aros, no cpu library mess anymore!

Also I wonder if thor's MMULib package would work with AROS 68k too?
no need for that as well. it wasnt working before i dont know how it is now, but aros takes advantage of mmu where possible. enforcer functionality is implemented and can be enabled in startup sequence using this option:
arosbootstrap DEBUGMMU
segtracker should work with it should you want to debug non stripped executables.

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 10:11:15 PM »
Good job OlafS3, looks nice.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 10:20:35 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;742685
magellan is the fastest, sclaos is actually working too but there are some deadlock situations that are particularly visible with scalos to resolve. i advise to use magellan for the time being.

aros provides own tlsf implementation that isnt yet enabled on 68k. from my experience (chris hodges) tlsf was usually compatible with genuine 68k software. id wait till its implemented. stackattack was working.

no need for 060.library whatsoever. aros has its own implementation that gets automatically enabled via setpatch after system recognition. thats great about aros, no cpu library mess anymore!

no need for that as well. it wasnt working before i dont know how it is now, but aros takes advantage of mmu where possible. enforcer functionality is implemented and can be enabled in startup sequence using this option:
arosbootstrap DEBUGMMU
segtracker should work with it should you want to debug non stripped executables.

Thanks for the info wawa, much appreciated.

How is compatibility with WHDLoad games? Not that I play games very often tbh
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 10:24:29 PM »
full compatible. I have preinstalled Rom Replacement that work with a lot of games.

http://www.aros-platform.de/html/compatibility.html

with original roms almost all games work

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 10:25:19 PM »
thanx :-)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 10:37:13 PM »
a note on using aros on real hardware:
060 should be fine. easy way to setup aros on your amiga is to attach an amiga drive via usb to pc, download aros68k and contributions to a direstory set up as drive under uae, under uae to mount both the directory and the usb drive, copy the contents of dir to drive via uae and attach the drive to your amiga (all controllers should be fine, if not report back). its easy, i use to do that every other day or even more frequently.

what concerns performance: binaries will run with usual speed as under aos, confirmed 1:1 by benchmarks. where aros is slow its particularly some interface operations like gfx output (wanderer, zune, the graphics libs (intuition, layers and co may need optimizations that they miss since they ran before only on fast systems)). loading executables, partly disk operations are slower than they should be as well. some other areas, where apparent bugs play role. needs investigating and comparison with aros. memory allocation has been greatly improved lately, still 4 times slower than aos. hope this help.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 09:29:56 AM »
Can I use this with a mediator?
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 10:25:06 AM »
Quote from: Lurch;742748
Can I use this with a mediator?

zorro cards will work, but pci support is not yet in place, ive been told interrupt handling is missing. but i have mediator myself and my motivation would be to see some extended gallium based rtg/3d support this way. jason+pavel have promised to finalize pci support at some point, hidds for mediator and prometheus are already provided, so chances are actually good.

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 11:12:10 AM »
next update

I have integrated LHA, ZIP, TAR and LZX support and directories. Next is animation and pictures.

Below is a screenshot of context-menu for directories. Magellan is really flexible.

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »
update

doubleclick support for BMP, GIF, IFF, JPEG, PNG, PBM, PGM

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 07:03:24 PM »
Don't forget .8svx, 16sv, .wav, .shn, .flac,  .etc

IOW everything the AmikitOS Distro supports.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 06:26:10 PM »
a few new impressions

the defined hotkeys

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 06:26:56 PM »
ZuneDemo

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2013, 06:27:49 PM »
borderless icons

« Reply #29 from previous page: August 11, 2013, 06:30:26 PM »
Example of a new function that converts IFF24 in IFF8. Simply started by rightclick on icon and type in filename. Right 24bit, left 8bit.